Tuesday, July 10, 2012

producer/ screenwriters/ good news

Jun. 27 Producer: I emailed a producer yesterday to apply for a position.  I had also sent him my The Vertex Fighter script back in Oct. 2011.  He mentions the technical tip that I should get the screenwriter software program Final Draft.  Some writers and producers told me that before. 

He also mentions the creative tip of showing it, not saying it.

Villains: I was going through my notes and I found the Writer in Residence Chris Craddock's notes on my Rain script.  It was the draft I had written back in 2010.  His tip is this: "Villains need to be imbued with power to be made a threat."

The notes aren't really useful now because the script has changed significantly.  Two characters have been written out, and sequences of events have changed.

Buffy: In my notes, I had written about the Buffy episode called "Passions."  It's where Angelus harasses Buffy and her friends like killing Willow's fish.  It got to the climax where he kills Giles's girlfriend Jenny Calender.

Jun. 28 Alberta Job Centre: I've noticed something today.  How come Alberta Job Centre hasn't been sending me any newsletters?  I checked and they haven't sent me anything since Feb.  However Job Boom continually send me newsletters.  AB Job Centre is an okay site to look for a job.

I haven't had any success with the job postings there, but maybe others have.  The articles are informative to read.

Rejects: I was going through my emails and I had sent my resume to this massage therapist who runs her studio at home.  It is office work like booking clients, but she also pays in cash. Here is an excerpt of her email: "...I have a girl who works with me now that makes $20/hr plus tips and made 225 cash in 8 hrs the other day."

I don't think she's running a scam or anything sleazy.  I guess there is that stereotype that massage therapists have to deal with that it's like prostitution.  There are some that are adult massage parlors.  Massage therapists is a respectable occupation.

Job interview answers: I also got an email from a dentist office to describe where I see myself in 2, 5, 10 yrs from now.  I said to be working in an office where I can use my skills and college education.  I also want to continue to learn and grow at work.

Screenwriters: I get these newsletters from the Great American Pitchfest in my professional email account.  There's a screenwriting camp for grown-up writers.  It's in the US, so of course I won't go.  lol.

Pilar Alessandra: She is one of the instructors and will be teaching "The Pitch."  Here's her 1min trailer of her promoting her book called The Coffee Break Screenwriter.  It's about using 10min of your time a day to write.  So don't say you don't have time, you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOcZ9jGbk0

However, it was cool that it lead me to all these writer videos.  Here's "Outline a story in under 5 min (or a little over.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqCUmbI6TQ&feature=related

I got to watch these videos to learn about writing.  I usually read books or the internet about writing, but never videos.

Nichol Simons: This instructor will teach you how to write short films.  I looked up the person, and I got this.  I don't know if this is the right person, because there's no picture.  There is lots of short films in the credits.

 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0799858/

Laura House: She's one of the instructors for "1/2 hr TV Writing: Creating and Selling."  I see she's written for comedy.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0396680/

Chad Gervich: He's the other instructor and written a lot of sitcoms.  Looks like the instructors know their material.  He's produced some reality TV shows too.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1941257/

Jennifer and David Skelly: They'll be teaching "Improv for writers and story brainstorming."  I can find Jennifer, but I can't find David.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1765171/

Kai Bowe: He teaches "Reality and Documentary."  His class description is: "Find story from real life!"  I always try to find creative fodder from real life.  I'm sure lots of writers do that too, but I don't want to do reality TV as my first choice. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0100766/

Carole Kirschner and Doug Chamberlain: They will teach the business of film and TV by making connections and marketing yourself.  That sounds like a useful course.  Kirschner has only one credit.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1709449/

There are so many Doug Chamberlain's, I don't know which one:
http://www.imdb.com/find?q=Doug+Chamberlin&s=all

Steve Kaplan: He will be teaching comedy.  Now this guy has made a name for himself.  Check out all these funny TV shows and movies he's done.  He's selling all these classes in NYC, LA, and London.  His students have won Emmys, Academy Awards, and Golden Globes.

http://kaplancomedy.com/

Jun. 29 Website tips: Hannah Howard sent this article "10 Reasons your Site Needs to be Obvious for Users."  It's useful info for my blog.  The tips are to keep it simple and provide information that people are looking for on your site.  It mentions people have short attention spans and people are web-surfing which is like channel surfing.

http://www.longhornleads.com/blog/2012/10-reasons-your-site-needs-to-be-obvious-for-users/

3.5 floppy disk: I have this document on my 3.5 floppy disk.  It's some creative writing notes, and I don't remember what's exactly in it.  I tried to open it several times and it doesn't open.  I asked my friend Leslie if there is any way you can retrieve it.  She says: 

"Tracy, it's probably gone.  I would suggest you retrieve the rest of the files from the disk before its to late.  Please use a flash drive! Less moving parts means less chance of failure and file loss."

Good tips from her.  I deleted the document.  I gave it my best shot by opening the disk several times and then asking my friend about it.

Adora Svitak: She is a author, student, teacher who gives the "Outline a story in under 5 min (or a little over.)"  It's actually 11min. long.  It's a light and fun video.  Think of the basics like characters, setting, and plot.  She gave the tip of how characters change during a story.  They have to experience conflict and then learn from it and "gain wisdom and insight."

That made me think of The Vertex Fighter where the lead character does grow up and learn.  In Rain, I realized the lead Rain doesn't really change.  However, this other character does so maybe I have to put that character as the lead. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqCUmbI6TQ&feature=related

Jul. 9 Good news: A producer finally confirmed that they have received my The Vertex Fighter script and synopsis.

Jul. 10: Another producer confirmed me on Linked In.

No comments: