Sunday, July 15, 2012

call centres/ life insurance/ Financial Post

Jun. 29 Call Centre #4: Today I applied to work at Call Centre #4- again.  I applied back in Jan. and did an interview, but didn't get hired.  It's been 6 months, and I think those telemarketer jobs have an effect on me.  I like working at call centres where I call people to do surveys, but not sell things.

I have an active imagination.  Back in Jan., when I didn't get hired, I thought: "The boss might have recognized me.  He might think that I look and sound familiar so he goes on the computer and types in my name.  Then my name will pop up and he will be like: 'Oh yeah, I remember her.  She worked here for a day and only got 9 completes.  I'm not hiring her.'"

Jul. 3 Call Centre #5: Today I emailed my resume to Call Centre #5.  Well back in 2010, it went by a different name.  This year, I saw an ad in the same newspaper with the same ad, but with a different company name.  But you know it's probably the same company that does the exact same thing. 

Both those call centres are easy to get to and I do like to sit and talk to people on the phone. 

Call Centre #3: I applied to Call Centre #3 again.  I worked there until they laid me off due to shortage of work.

Regular job: I had compared how much I made last yr in July, to this year.  This year, at this time, I made more money.  It's because I had taken a temporary job in Apr. and had those 2 telemarketer jobs.  Now I'm thinking, I should stop looking for an office job.  Get a second regular job instead.

Call back: I called that downtown office back last week to see if they had made a decision yet.  They haven't called me back, so I can assume I didn't get hired.  I can imagine that they might remember me later if someone quits.  They will remember: "One person did call back and leave a message to ask if we made a decision yet.  Let me go through the file of resumes to find it."

Some of you may say: "I don't see that happening."  Well, it's not that outrageous of an imagination.

The Writer's Chronicle: I remembered I had this writer's magazine called The Writer's Chronicle in my closet.  I had gotten 2 issues for free when I was in one of my college writing classes.  The magazines are like 50 cm tall, 30 cm wide.  I'm reading it right now, though the issues are from 2006. 

The magazine is in it's 44th yr.  Check it out:

http://www.awpwriter.org/magazine/

TV production: Today I left a note to a producer.  Last month I had emailed him one week to ask if he got my submission form and script.  He didn't reply, so I called and left a message with my cell phone number.  I then emailed again.  Then today I left a note at his office.

I also did some unpaid work to get some experience. 

Jul. 4 Producer: A producer called in response to an email I sent a few weeks ago.  I emailed him back and he tells me about his company a bit and says he wants to chat with me.

Story of Movies: I was going through my old agenda from 2007, and found a website I wrote down called www.storyofmovies.org.  It's actually teaching kids in gr.6-8 on literacy in films.  The curriculum is developed by the film foundation.  The website is pretty good and inspirational to read.

Staffing agency: Today a staffing agency called me and I said: "Oh, I don't really want to get a job through a staffing agency."  He said thank you and hung up.  A couple of weeks ago, that happened.  Some job ads are obvious like: "Our client is looking for..."  "Our client" is a staffing agency ad.

Some don't have that, so I apply to those, and then they call me.  I used to say politely like: "Oh, I just got hired somewhere else", but now I'm straight-up telling the truth that I don't work with staffing agencies. 
Etsy:
Jay Smith sent me this article "9 Tips for Opening your Etsy Store."  A good tip was pricing it right.  Like how much money on materials did it take to make it, and how much time you put to create it.  Take good pictures of your products, describe them well, and promote it on social media and websites.

http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/06/11/9-tips-for-opening-your-own-etsy-store/ 

Career practices: Jay Smith sent me the article "8 Career Practices Millennials can Learn from Baby Boomers."  It was a fast and easy read about how optimistic people get ahead.  You need to embrace change though it may be hard.  It also said to be a self-starter like take initiative instead of waiting for orders from your bosses.
http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/06/26/8-career-practices-millennials-can-learn-from-baby-boomers/ 

Summer jobs: Crystal Hall sent me this article "9 Best Summer Jobs for College Kids."  Some are only for the summer like camp counselors, country club worker, resort employee.  However, at those places, you can work at the restaurant or a beverage cart (golf course) and get tips.

http://www.thebestdegrees.org/the-9-best-summer-jobs-for-college-kids/

Life insurance: Hannah Peterson sent me this article called "8 Reasons Young Workers Need Life Insurance." #1 reason was "To support your loved ones."  You don't have to be married and have kids to get life insurance.  Family members, friends, and charities could benefit from your death.  Yeah, I would want my the money to go to my family.

#3 is "Affordability."  When you're young, the premium rates are lower.  #7 "Future insurability." If you buy it when you're young and healthy, it will save you money if you have serious health problems and become uninsurable.


Financial Post: I was reading the National Post's business section called Financial Post.  There's a section on the weekend about one person's financial plan.  They picked apart this woman's budget and how she's thousands of dollars in debt.  She has to take care of her disabled sister.  She also sends money to her family.

The lesson is to take care of yourself first.  It said, it's admirable that she wants to take care of her family, but she needs to work on her financial plan first before she can help them.  Some things were really easy, like how she has a summer home that her aunt gave to her.  There's sentimental meaning, but she only uses it a month a yr.  It drains costs maintaining it.  Just sell it, and if you want to visit family, stay with them or at a hotel.

Next tip was get rid of $200 off your $700 food budget.  It's only her and her sister eating.  Also knock off $200 from your phone/ internet plan from $400.  Now her debts are manageable.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your site. That is nice when you find something that is not only informative but entertaining. Auto Insurance with International Driver License