Thursday, July 5, 2012

GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra/ Battle of the Ex-boyfriends/ Facebook

Jun. 28 GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra: This is my fun for the week.  I wanted to go to the Art Works Festival on Sat., but I went on Mon. instead so I can watch this.

This movie was on Showcase in Feb.  I only saw the last 15min of it back then.  Then it was on last Sat. afternoon and I missed the first 48 min.  I saw the rest of movie.  Then later that night they aired it again so I saw the first part that I missed.  This movie came out in 2009.

Actors: Let's start off with that I mainly watched it for Channing Tatum.  He looked so good wearing sunglasses, leather jacket, and a motorcycle. 

It's interesting that Joseph- Gordon Levitt is in this movie, because both actors played soldiers here and in the movie Stop- Loss (2008).  That was a drama.  Rachel Nichols was in it too as one of the soldiers.  She was on Criminal Minds for season 6, and I had forgotten about it, but she was on Alias too.

Brendan Fraser makes an appearance as a soldier.  He wasn't even credited, but if you look him up on imdb.com, it says "uncredited."

I thought the guy played Daniel, the scientist who was married to Ana/ Baroness, was handsome.  

Comparisons: This movie reminded me of X-Men.  In the beginning of GI Joe, they first showed this flashback of the 16th century.  Then it says "In the not too distant future" just like X-Men.  Even the ending was like one of the X-Men movies.  I won't tell you which one so it won't spoil it for you.

There were scenes with the President like it did in X2.

It kind of reminded me The Matrix Reloaded with the car chase scene.  GI Joe was like it because it was so over the top.  They had people running after the car in these special suits.  Cars and people were being tossed around.  It was funny with Marlon Wayans starting off the car chase.  The Bourne trilogy car chase scenes are very realistic.

Some things have been done in other movies like the good guys and their run- ins with the law, someone getting kidnapped and being rescued.

Ethnic diversity: There was good ethnic diversity in the movie with Asian, African-American, and Moroccan.  They also showed a few women in the military.

Action: The best part of the movie is the action.  There is a fist fight during the car chase scene.  They're driving and shooting at the same time.  They're chasing the bad guys in France and destroying the Eiffel Tower.  It was exciting and loud to watch.  There were guns, explosions, non-stop action.

There was even shooting the glass ceiling they were standing on.  SWAT team and police are getting involved, lots of chaos.  It was good to see two women fight, Rachel Nichols and Sienna Miller in hand to hand combat.  There were some really crazy fight scenes.

There was one where two 13 yr old boys fight.  Leo Howard and Brandon Soo Hoo are talented fighters.  There were sword fights between Snake Eyes (Ray Park) and Byunh- Sung Lee (Storm Shadow).

There was high production value, special effects, good sets.

Story: The story is about an arms dealer selling this deadly weapon.  I don't want to spoil it for you, but the good guys have to prevent it. 

There was a good set up of the good guys and the bad guys.  It showed some good flashbacks to establish the characters.

There was a good surprise near the end when a good guy asks the bad guy: "Who are you?"  When it was revealed, I was like: "What?"  I didn't expect that at all.

Comedy: There was a fun training montage.  The scientist played by Said Taghmaoui was funny too with Marlon Wayans.

Drama: There was drama so there was depth to the story and characters.  It was with Rex and Duke, and Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.  There is a little romance in the movie.

Jun. 29 Actors: Last month I was watching Rookie Blue and I thought: "Isn't that actress Mayko Nguyen, wasn't she on The Listener where she plays Dr. Olivia's sister in the first season?"  The Listener episode was in 2009.  Nguyen first showed up on the also Toronto- shot show Rookie Blue in 2011.  It's not until 2012, I'm making this connection.  I looked her up and I was right.  lol. 

Here's Mayko Nguyen:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1534287/

Here's Mylen Dinh-Robic who plays Olivia.  Don't they look like sisters?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1773454/

Battle of the Ex-boyfriends: I was listening to 91.7 The Bounce radio station today.  They talked to these women who had the worst ex-boyfriends and they could win a prize.

Woman #1: My ex-boyfriend slept with his cousin.

Me: That's incestuous.  I don't know if it's 3rd or 4th cousin, but still that's incestuous.

Woman #2: My ex-boyfriend slept with my cousin.  My 2 yr old daughter was in her play pen at the end of the bed.

Me: That's a betrayal of your boyfriend and cousin.  But your 2 yr old daughter in the room makes it worse.  That also reminds me of the TV show Cheaters.  It's a reality show where they catch people cheating on each other.  This had 3 black people in their 20s.  The ep wasn't really trashy.

There was the Girlfriend who yells at her Cousin (The Other Girl): "I thought blood was thicker than water!"  But the thing is, they made up on the same night.  The Boyfriend wasn't a total dirt bag.  I've seen way worse people on this show.  

Woman #3: When I got home, my boyfriend had cleaned out his closet.  He was gone for a week.  He came back and said he went to a music festival.  He was all dirty when he came back.  He didn't call me at all.  I thought he left me.

Me: Me too.  As soon as I heard "cleaned out his closet", I immediately thought of the show Cheaters.  This guy thinks his girlfriend is cheating on him.  When the Cheaters camera crew came to confront her at the apartment they shared, the closet was cleaned out. 

She left a note saying that she left him for another man, and the mementos like the stuffed animals and pictures should stay in the apartment.  It was something like a reminder of the relationship they had.  The host Tommy Grand read the note to the guy. 

The ex-boyfriend's of Woman #3, he should have really left a note.  If it was a spontaneous trip like a friend called him up to go to it, he should have said where he was going.  The girlfriend thought he left her or be worried about him.  Sheesh.  

Facebook: This is from last year, but I found it in my email account.

Me: Why did you put a monkey as your profile pic?
Dan N.: Very Funny Tracy.
Me: Thanks, but you didn't answer the question.
Dan N.: I know i need a hair cut... very funny..monkey haha

Article: Christine Kane sent me this article called "10 Ugly Truths Facebook tells us About Ourselves."  We use Facebook to get approval like "#2 We Measure our Worths in Likes" and "#5 We Hold Grudges" as in show your vacation photos to people you knew in the past.  They will look at it and you're pretty much showing off and saying how successful you are.   I guess some people do, or at least think that.

http://www.internetserviceproviders.org/blog/2012/10-ugly-truths-facebook-tells-us-about-ourselves/

Jun. 30 Gas- saving tips: Madoline Hatter sent met this article "7 Gas saving tips for the summer."  Some tips were obvious like taking the bus, car-pooling, and grouping your errands together in one trip.  I did learn something new.  Did you know that gasoline can evaporate from your gas tank when it's hot?  If you park with the sun shining on it, it will evaporate.  So park it under some shade.

This is from Popular Mechanics: "if you’re driving below 55 mph, you can save fuel by opening the windows and turning off the a/c. If you’re driving 60 mph or higher, keep the windows closed and let the a/c run so you burn less fuel."

http://www.autoinsurancequotes.org/2012/06/7-gas-saving-tips-for-the-summer/

No comments: