Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fairmont hotel/ office job/ questions

Jul. 5 Fairmont Hotel: My brother found this brochure for Fairmont Hotel for a student work experience program.  I may have picked it up.  It's a really nice brochure because it's glossy and shows nice pictures of one of their hotels in Banff.

Jul. 6 Social media:

Linked In: I was going through my old emails, and I get weekly email updates from Linked In.  That's good, it's not too intrusive and not too many emails.

Twitter: I don't really use it, but I get a few of "You have to change your password because it's been compromised."  Then again, it's not as bad as Linked In when thousands of passwords were compromised.  It was in the business section of the newspaper.

Facebook: I get some emails from them.  It's mainly notifications of "someone has commented on your link or status update."  I don't use Facebook that much, so I don't get a lot from them.

Linked In groups: I got this email to join some writer's groups because I'm in two already.  I then found this email to also join these other groups like for US grocery stores like Wegman's Food Markets, and Publix Past and Present.  Then there's Alpha Phi Recent Graduates, and Job's Daughter's International.

Real estate: I see an ad for the real estate agency I did an interview for.  It's a receptionist position, and it mentioned you need your own car.  I don't remember reading about needing a car the last time I did an interview there.

Jul. 9 Writer job search: Today was my day off, and I actually applied to a few writer jobs today.  I looked for one on Kijiji, and then I found one when I was reading an old Grant MacEwan alumni newsletter.  I then emailed my resume to it on Facebook.

I then got a Linked In update for a position.  I applied for it.  The pro is that Linked In sent me this position that I wouldn't have known about from anywhere else.  The con is that it said the exact number of how many people have applied for it and there are a lot.   

Jul. 10 Staffing agencies: I was talking to my dad about how I should get a 2nd regular job, because I can't get an office job.  I asked if I could go to a staffing agency.  He disapproves of it, but he says that: "It's your life, so you can do whatever you want.  I don't know if you can get a job from a staffing agency."

I have gotten calls from them before, because I accidentally applied to the job ads.  Some of the ads are vague and don't mention the company.  I turn them down when I learn it's a staffing agency.

New direction: Here's the new direction.  Apply to staffing agencies to see if I can get hired through there.  I have been informed and forewarned about them.

Flashback: I had done a test for a staffing agency back in 2007 before I knew they were bad.  It was a math test and I had to get 20/30 right.  It was like gr.10 math.  I didn't get the required mark, and didn't get hired.  So it's like I dodged a bullet by not getting hired.

Then in 2008, I did an interview for a good company that was set up through a staffing agency.  I didn't get hired, but at least I knew the reason why.  The recruiter said the interviewer thought my answers were too short. 

Job interview: I have a job interview tomorrow.  I'm kind of nervous because I haven't had one in 2 weeks.  That's kind of weird because I've been doing the exact same thing of sending several resumes and looking for a job everyday.  I usually get one or two interviews a week.  Maybe it's the summer time and it's slowing down or something.

Jul. 11: Today I went to a job interview.  I thought it went well.

Pros:

1. It's in downtown.
2. The pay is within my range.
3. The shifts are good because it's day time, and full-time.
4. I felt nervous and excited if I was to get hired.

There aren't any cons.  If I get hired, I will give it my best shot.  I will take notes and learn the computer system.

CAPS: I found some U of A Career Centre papers.  They hold these forums for different programs like human resources, marketing, etc.  The speakers are talk about their careers and give advice on their work search in the field.  I haven't been to one because I don't go to the school.  I got this when I went to their career fair.

I did pick up their magazine called Career Connections. There's a big article that I'm reading about career information interviewing. You should pick up the free magazine.

www.caps.ualberta.ca

Jul. 12 Counseling: Earlier this week, I called a few counseling offices and talked to one.  The other two, I got answering machines and didn't leave a message.  Yesterday I was going home from work and was going to stop by at an office, but decided to call them instead.  When I got home, I didn't call.  I don't know, I guess I procrastinated.  So today I went to the office after work, but it was closed.

I checked out a couple of stores and then took the bus home.  It did help build momentum.  I called one office and they said I should ask if my job will pay for my counseling sessions.

I then emailed my Career Counselor the above 2 paragraphs, and then copy and pasted my blog post/ email "mental health/ Tyra Banks show/ friend" to show where I'm really coming from about hating fake people.

Jul. 16 Office job: Today I went and tried out the office job.  I listed a couple more pros like

5. It's a stepping stone to get more office jobs because you get experience.
6. It's a challenge.  It's good to make me use my mind more and be smarter.

The cons:

1. It's too much of a challenge.  It's really hard for me.  There are certain way to do things there.
2. It's boring and I'm not really interested in it.

I decided to not take the job.  After 2 hrs, the boss asked me what I thought of the job.  I said it's too soon to make a decision because it's only been 2 hrs.  Afterwards, I started really thinking about the position.  I concentrated on how I felt.

Questions: I thought about the 3 questions I learned from career counseling.  The interviewer is thinking this:

1. Can you do the job?
2. Do you fit in?
3. Do you like it?

At my lunch break, I sat down and wrote the pros and cons and answers to my questions.

1. Sort of.  It was only one day, and I can't predict the future.  I just had a feeling that I won't be good at it.

2. I certainly fit in because I'm a young Asian woman, and the other admin people are the same.  There are also lots of Asians there.

3. No, I didn't.  When I was working there, I was feeling kind of depressed.  I didn't feel like that when I worked at the office job in the furniture store back in 2010.  I liked that job though I was dismissed for not being good enough.  I even liked those 2 telemarketing jobs.

Ideas: The time I was working there, I was thinking about other job ideas that I should entertain. 

Also how I should really go to counseling.  Am I putting obstacles in front of myself by not taking the job?  Am I being too picky?

No comments: