Sunday, July 8, 2012

Linked In/ 7 Habits/ job advice

Jun. 25 Linked In: I looked up two teachers from this class I took in Professional Writing.  They weren't there.  I then emailed one of the teachers and asked.

Scam: Earlier today I emailed all my friends about this job ad I applied to.  They emailed back saying that I need to be at least 18 yrs old, have an internet connection, work from home.  $400 a week to start, and then keep increasing in pay from then on.  It also mentioned about being a secret shopper.

My friend Leslie emailed me back and said it was a scam.

Rejects: Well that office didn't call me back.  I did an interview for them 2 weeks ago, and it was the one where I had a hard time trying to find the place.  I also thought of the Foot Clinic on Stony Plain road.  I remember seeing a job ad for that place last year.  Now the place has teared down.  Maybe they moved.  I don't know.

Books: I went to see my career counselor and she emailed me a couple of books to read.  She sent me Messages: The Communication Skills Book by Matthew McKay, Martha Davis, and Patrick Fanning.

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Messages.html?id=bUDNZkqUt0AC

7 Habits: She then recommended 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey.  I read it for a school assignment back in 2005.  I don't remember the book much.  Then I read one of the habits on the website "Habit #4: Think win-win."  Then I remembered an example of how a man and woman are divorcing.  The woman gets half.  So the man sold his car for $50 and gave $25 of it to the woman just so she would only get a little bit of money.  This guy has hurt himself doing that by losing money for himself.

Here's the Cole's notes version:

1. Be Proactive: Focus your time and energy on things that you can control.

2. Begin with the end in mind: Where do you want to go?  Who do you want to be?  Are the things you're doing now leading you to your goal?

3. Put first things first: It's about prioritizing and the saying I go by "Focus on tasks that bring the most results."

4. Think win-win: It talks about how success isn't always about one person winning and the other one losing.  You can all cooperate and all succeed together.

5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood: It's about active listening.  It talked about evaluating, probing, advising, and interpreting.

6. Synergize: It's about working with others and being creative.  Collaborate and bring your own ideas and personalities together to make something really good.

7. Sharpen the saw: It's about taking care of yourself, physically, socially/ emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

If you want to know more, go to this website:

https://www.stephencovey.com/7habits/7habits.php/

Strategy: I got a call from this store.  It's a part-time position that pays $11/hr.  It's 2 week nights and one weekend day.  I thought of getting a 2nd part-time job, and I have with those telemarketer jobs.  I'm going to apply to offices that are close by my restaurant job.

The thing is, if I work at a regular 2nd part-time job, it does take time away from my office job search and TV production company job search.  There are pros and cons to either decision.  If you take a 2nd job, the pro is money, the con is less time for your job search.

Job advice: My sister was talking to my dad about a job and if she should take it. 

Me: You should write down the pros and cons.

Cut to the next day.

S: "You should write down the pros and cons."  I'm not going to take career advice from you.
As usual I have to quote from The Simpsons.  It's the episode where Homer becomes very obese so he can work at home.

Marge: Con: You're setting a bad example for the kids.
Homer: Pro: Uh...I love you?

Is there anyone here who thinks that listing the pros and cons is bad advice?  Well my sister did say things are weighted differently.  I think I also read that in a Cosmopolitan magazine about some things are more important than others on a pros and cons list. 

If you take 2 buses to get there and it's an effort, that's a con.  But if it pays really well and you would like the job, then transportation does not weigh as much.

I did read in the business section of the newspaper about this person asking for job advice.  The expert answered: "Did you notice that you listed 6 pros and 1 con?"

Telemarketer: I was thinking about the telemarketer job again.  If you don't make a sale within the first 4 days, you're dismissed.  Kind of like The Simpsons episode where Marge becomes a real estate agent.

Lionel Hutz: If you don't sell a house within the first month, you're fired.

Job switch: I was reading my MacEwan alumni newsletter and there was article about a woman who studied corrections there.  Now she owns a flower shop.  She knows she didn't study to open a business, but she said that going to MacEwan helped her and it lead her to the flower shop.  As long as you like your job, that's what matters.

Jun. 27 Rant: Here's a mild rant.  Twitter emailed me again to change my password.  This is like the 4th time that's happened. 

Also Job Serve sends me emails to confirm to get more emails for office assistant positions.  I click on it to confirm.  Then they always send me the same job ad for the Filter Shop.  It's in an industrial part of town. This has been going on for a few months.  I go to other job sites.

My printer/ fax machine/ scanner isn't working.  The printer part doesn't work.  The paper keeps getting jammed when I need to print out my resume.  I found something I printed out back in 2010.  So I determined the printer stopped working in 2011. 

Productive: The good thing is that yesterday was my day off and it was very productive.  I stayed at home all day and looked for an office job, TV production job, read job articles, and did some unpaid work for a producer.  The work is for experience and I did like it.

Young Fitness Inc: I picked up a Job Classified newspaper.  There is always that ad for Young Fitness Inc.  It's a telemarketer job that pays $18/hr guaranteed and has benefits.  I applied there a few times, but I didn't get an interview.

Jun. 28: I have worked at those 2 telemarketer jobs that pays min. wage, so you must be really good if you get hired for $18/hr. 

Fit for the job: I was thinking about this conversation I had with my friend Heather and how she did a job interview for the store Sirens.  It was 10 yrs ago.  H thought everybody was so overdressed when she did the interview.  H didn't like it.  Now that I think about it, she didn't seem to fit in there.  If she did a job interview at a pet store because she likes animals, she fits in.

Rogers: I read in the business section of the newspaper that Rogers is laying off 300 people, mainly middle management to save money.

Zellers: I also stopped by Zellers at West Ed mall today.  If you want to buy anything from dishware, pillows, food, toys, etc. go there.  The stores are closing down and they're selling everything even equipment and fixtures.  However, all sales are final.

No comments: