Tuesday, July 17, 2012

producer/ Greber Writing Award/ David Cormican

Jul. 5 Producer: A producer who has read my The Vertex Fighter script, he has accepted my invitation on Linked In.

TV Production: I was going through my 2007 agenda and found a Edmonton TV production company I wrote down.  I remember applying to this company when I saw an ad in the Edmonton Journal.  I think the ad was last year and I applied.  I then decided to apply there again today.  I can even submit something to them, but I have to print out a submission release form.

Self- publishing: I was going through my old emails and I found this email from Publishing@ironstreamcompany.com.  I clicked on it, and it lead to links to 3 websites.  One was Xlibris, which I wrote about. 

Bookmasters: This is self-publishing.  You can write a blog post for their website.  The post has to be about personal experiences in writing, publishing, industry news in general.

http://blog.bookmasters.com/about/

Writing for Children: This is kind of a mediocore website.  I was reading it, and there's an aptitude test to get into the Institute of Children's Literature.
"It distinguishes between those who do and those who do not have the potential, in our opinion, to learn how to write publishable material for children and teenagers."

http://www.writingforchildren.com/H2551/youcanbeawriter.htm

Here's the test though.  It's kind of interesting, because you're supposed to answer the question in a kid's voice.

http://www.writingforchildren.com/H2551/download.htm

Jul. 6 Author House: I found this old email "Gain Exposure for your Book."  It's from the nearly the same email address as Bookmasters: BookPromotion@ironstreamcompany.com

Here's the website.  It asked questions like "What is your goal for the book?"  Some answers that were listed were:

"Writing to help others overcome a personal obstacle." 
"Seeing if I have what it takes for commercial success."

http://www.authorhouse.com/LP01F01C020.aspx?Cat=PPC&LS=SearchEngine&SRC=Adknowledge&KW=BookPromotion&GKW=BookPromotion&utm_source=adknowledge&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BookPromotion&utm_content=BookPromotion

Book: Here's a self-published book called Determined to Change: One Man's Journey from Darkness to Redemption.  Nick Chandler is the 9th child out of 12 children and lived in poverty.  It's about how he changed his life and helps others.

http://www.authorhouse.com/WhyAuthorHouse/Experience/Chandler.aspx

Kiss Her Goodbye: I found this on my Two Bits Writing group on Linked In.  I didn't know there was a blog site called Authors Xpress.  This book is about a murder mystery by Harvey Burgess.  I read a little bit of his blog, and it's okay.

http://kisshergoodbye.authorsxpress.com/about-the-book/

Linked In Groups: By going through my old emails, I'm being transported in time.  I think I joined the Two Bits writing group in Aug. 2011 and the Freelance Writers group in Feb. 2012.

Jul. 8 Greber Writing Award: I was going through my old newspaper clippings and found an article about coping with grief.  It really talked to Shirley Dunn and how after her partner Dave Greber died, she created this award in his honor.  Freelance writers who write about social justice will win the award.

http://www.greberwritingaward.com/

Quotes: There are all these good quotes on the site.  Some are about writing like:
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure."  Samuel Johnson

Some aren't about writing:

"Justice denied anywhere diminishes justice everywhere."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Facts and Arguments essay: I subscribe to The Globe and Mail and in the Life section, there's an essay everyday about a personal experience someone has gone through.  I have written about a couple essays that I have read, and then put on this blog with my comments on it.

Here is one:

I should write an essay for it.  Here are the rules.  One of them is this: "Please don't send a piece that's appeared in any other print or online publication, but feel free to submit an essay on a topic you have blogged about." 


Jul. 9 Call back: Today was my day off so I called a producer back.  We emailed each other a bit and he said his company doesn't do a lot of fictional dramas.  We talked for 2 min. and he was really nice.  I think we kind of built a bit of a rapport.  He did mention that he wanted to talk, because with email you can't exactly hear the tone of voice.

Canadian Short Screenplay Competition: I was going through my papers on my desk and found my MacEwan Alumni newsletter.  I had kept this page about the Canadian Short Screenplay Competition.  I Googled it and I haven't searched it before because the link wasn't highlighted.  I then looked at The Vertex Fighter blog, and it turns out I did write about in Sept. 2011.



Movieola: Also from the newsletter, it mentioned this Toronto channel.  It shows short films, 40min and shorter.  I already get to watch short films on CHCH at 9pm on Fri. nights.  You can go on Youtube and search short films.


Yorkton Film Festival: In the newsletter it talked about this film festival in Yorkton, Saskatchewan.  It turns out, it's been here for 65 yrs. 


David Cormican: He went to Grant MacEwan and took Theatre Arts, and that's why he was in the Alumni newsletter.  He is currently the head of development in Minds Eye Entertainment.  I think I pitched my script to them already.  He also created the Canadian Short Screenplay Competition. 

I'm going to say it: He's handsome.  Click on the video on the CSSC where he talks about it, you can see him.

Linked In: Good news today, a producer confirmed my invite to him on Linked In.

No comments: