Thursday, March 28, 2013

Musa Okwonga/ Let Me In/ The Hunger Games

Mar. 13 Musa Okwonga: Shawn Bell sent me this video.  It's about Musa Okwonga, who is a British black man.  He is reciting his poetry on the British streets.  He then is on the couch talking about how he loves writing and poetry.  He thought he should become something stable career wise, so he became a lawyer.  Impressive.

Then he finds himself spending 5-10min. a day reciting poetry to himself to stay connected to writing.  Then he gave his final notice and quit his job and become a full-time poet. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjDgWnUUFX8

Mar. 14 Script: I emailed a producer who I haven't contacted in some months.  Now that my work schedule lightened up, I asked him if he's filming yet and if he's producing the script I wrote for his show.  (I wrote it back in 2011). 

He said he's not filming yet, and the ep I wrote is not being used for now.  I will focus on the key words "for now."  I was a little disappointed, but don't take it personal.  He isn't filming my ep or anyone's ep. 

Mar. 21 Veronica Mars: I was on Yahoo news a few days ago, and it turns out the old TV show I like Veronica Mars is going to be a movie.  The creator Rob Thomas and the star of the show Kristen Bell set up this Kickstarter account to raise money for this movie.  Fans all pitched in and donated some money for it.  After the show ended in 2007, RT did write a movie script for it.  Good for them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

90210: In other news, the TV show 90210 will be cancelled after 5 seasons.  It's a remake of the same show from the 1990s, but the original lasted for 10yrs.  I stopped watching the new 90210 after the first season.  I only tuned in here and there to see one of my favorite Canadian singers Kyle Riabko guest-star in it.  Rob Thomas was the executive producer of that show, and now it's over, he's doing the Veronica Mars movie.

Heartland: I also read in the Edmonton Journal that the Alberta-shot show Heartland is in their 6th season, and has over 100 episodes now.  So congratulations to this Canadian show for lasting this long.  I will say the quality is average to good.  In the article, it said the show was originally supposed to be a 2hr TV movie.

Dead Man Down: This movie came out a couple of weeks ago.  It stars Colin Farrel as a criminal who works for a mob boss.  He is then blackmailed into helping a woman (Noomi Rapace) to kill someone else.  When I was reading the reviews, it reminded me of my script Rain.

The similarities are that there is a mobster, the heroes are a guy and girl who end up teaming up together.  I read that this movie is more of a thriller/ drama and not a lot of action until the last half. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2101341/?ref_=sr_1

Let Me In movie review

By Tracy Au



Let Me In is a horror movie, but I felt it was more of a drama and love story.  It stars Owen (Kodi Smit- McPhee) who is a 12 year old boy and bullied at school.  He lives with his mom in New Mexico, 1983.  His life changes when a girl named Abby (Chloe Grace Moretz) and her guardian moves into his apartment complex.

It’s revealed that Abby is a vampire and her guardian (Richard Jenkins) kills people to feed Abby.  Owen and Abby slowly develop a friendship and she advises him to hit back the bullies.   The tension and conflict builds as the Policeman (Elias Koteas) investigates into the murders committed by Abby’s guardian.

The scares and conflicts are unpredictable which makes it scarier.  There are questions of: “Will Owen find out that Abby is a vampire?  Even if he does find out, what will happen to their relationship?”

This is well-filmed and edited movie.  It’s more dark, sad, and intense with a few horror moments that will make you jump.  There are touching moments to make it into a beautiful love story.  It’s very good acting by the two leads.  Smit- McPhee and Moretz are only pre-teens, but I was impressed with their acting.  I highly recommend you watch it.



The Hunger Games movie review

By Tracy Au

This movie is based on a book by Suzanne Collins.  It’s set in a futuristic post- apocalyptic world.  One district has all the wealth in the city, while other districts live in shacks in a forest. 

Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) lives with her mom and little sister in the poor district.  Every year, there is the Hunger Games, a televised event where one boy and one girl (12- 18 years old) are chosen from each district to battle to the death.  There can only be one winner.  Katniss volunteers to take her sister’s place in the games.  Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) is chosen.

It is like Lord of the Flies and Survivor creatively mixed together.  It’s similar to sending your kids to war with a chance they won’t survive.  Like any reality show, the Tributes get makeovers and do interviews.  They try to get the audience to like them so they can get supplies from sponsors.  During the games, they make alliances with the other Tributes.

It’s disturbing to see teens and kids kill each other.  It’s harsh and violent.  I questioned: “Will Katniss still by a sympathetic character if she becomes a murderer?”  Yes, because she is killing in self- defense and not because she enjoys it like some of the other players are.  She is a physically and emotionally strong character that you want to root for.

This is a smart and creative movie that many people will enjoy because of the story and characters.

Mar. 23 Xlibris: I was doing some more cleaning and I finally recycled this self-publishing info package.  I got this back in 2008.  I still haven't written a book, but I have been writing my blog for the past 5 yrs.  If you're interested in self-publishing, check it out:
http://www2.xlibris.com/

No comments: