Thursday, March 14, 2013

Amnesty/ business news/ divorce news

Feb. 24: I got this from Amnesty International: 

  • 1 in 3 Native American and Alaska Native women will be raped in her lifetime. When the perpetrator is a non-Native man – as in 86% of cases – a complex maze of jurisdictional issues can delay the judicial process or potentially even allow the perpetrator to escape justice.
  • Immigrant women often face higher rates of sexual harassment and domestic abuse – but when it comes to seeking justice, they have few legal rights and little protection from abusers who could exploit their immigration status.
  • LGBT violence survivors often face discrimination when attempting to access potentially life-saving social services – discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Mar. 11 Business news: There's been a lot of business news that are shaking up Canada.  There's a little about the US.

Alberta: Here's some good news, the AB jobless rate is 4.5% so that's really good.

U of A: I read that the University of Alberta are shutting down two of their bookstores.  The Rutherford Corner at Enterprise Square and the Book Cellar in Hub mall.


La Senza: I read in the business section of the newspaper that La Senza closed down a 3rd of their stores.  They're owned by the Limited which also owns Victoria's Secret.  La Senza Girl closed down.  Does anyone remember that store?  I was on the internet and it said the Girl stores closed down in 2009-2010.

Zellers: I found this article that there will be only 3 Zellers stores in Canada.

http://o.canada.com/2013/01/08/zellers-will-stick-around-canadas-three-biggest-cities-after-target-arrives/#.UTusLDdcfTo

Target: On Mar. 5, 2013, Target had opened it's first stores in Ontario.

Hudson's Bay: The Hudson's Bay company has now changed their logo by going back to the old school one with black type face instead of the big yellow B/ ribbon.

JC Penney: They are laying off 2,200 people.  I'll add that to the huge layoffs I read about from Sears.

The Job: I read that this reality show called The Job got cancelled after 2 episodes.  It's where candidates compete for a really good job.  On imdb.com it says the first episode was for The Palm restaurant in New York City and the second episode was for Cosmopolitan.  

Those are really good companies with a big name.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2621864/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: He is the Iranian president and he is consoling Hugo Chavez's mother, since HC died last week.  When I saw the photo, I was touched because it was real human emotion.  I will have always associated Ahmadinejad for saying: "There are no gays in Iran."  The audience laughs at him.

Iran clerics are criticizing Ahmadinejad for touching a woman who is not a close relative to him because it's against Islam religion.  If you read the Yahoo comments, they say what I think like:

Storm 1: "the first decent and humane act the iranian pres. does, gets him in trouble? wow, what a country. i feel sorry for the oppressed iranian people, especially the women. thank God for Canada and all free countries."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/iran-clerics-criticize-ahmadinejad-consoling-chavezs-mother-hug-132556021.html

Divorce news: I found this on Yahoo.  "Elizabeth Cioffi-Petrakis, 39, won an appeal overturning a bizarre premarital agreement with her millionaire husband. Now she says she may be entitled to half of her ex’s worth when their divorce becomes final."

If you go into the article, it says 4 days before the wedding, her husband showed up with a pre-nup so there wasn't a lot of time to read it and go to a lawyer and deliberate it.  He said he will put her name on the house and when they have their first child together, he will get rid of the prenup. He didn't.  They dated when they were 18 and 6 yrs later, they got married.  They have twin boys who are 12, and an 8 yr old daughter.

She said she had three lawyers, and they didn't help, so she took control of the case.  She even talked about how she suffered depression and thought about suicide because it was so stressful.

She says: “I’m not a lawyer, but I think I have advocated for myself better than any lawyer has,” she said. “My mission is to empower and protect anyone in this position. I know what to look out for, and I bring reputable professionals together to help.” Her company, she said, offers her clients invaluable advice and knowledge from judges, mediators, divorce coaches and child psychologists, in the hopes of saving time and money through the divorce process."

Me: Good for you for standing up for what you want and need.  It's not like this woman was a gold digger and married a rich guy so she can have a high life.  They dated for years when they were younger.  In the article she even converted to his religion to be closer to him.

Here are some more comments:

Brian: Under no circumstance should she be entitled to half... With divorce becoming a normal option, I dont see the point of marriage if one side can gain so much by the by ending it.

Me: I wouldn't say she should get half, but she should get spousal and child support from him.

Smaedo: I want her lawyer.
(This person's picture has Ralph Wiggum holding a gun.)  

Lu_c_fir: All young men should make a couple deposits to a sperm bank, then immediatly get a vasectomy.When you have had your fun, think you might want a kid,Surrogate Mother!  At least prostitutes are honest about the cost up front!

Me: lol.

Lovely: Point is, he shouldn't have lied. He shouldn't have said all those things to her if he didn't mean. Tell the truth people. He should have said, "I'll marry you, but you're not getting my money or added to any of my estates or business. I will provide for you and children if we have any, and if this should end, I will continue provided for my children. They can even live with me and we will set aside dates for your visits. Again, you're not getting my money. Now sign the line."
Some women would actually went for that you know. As long as they have a big house they can say they live in, a fancy car to drive, designer clothes...they're good.


Me: I agree.

Octipiratncr: If someone wants you to sign a prenup don't marry them it shows he or she is all about self and will be that way thru out the marriage.

Me: I would sign a prenup to protect myself.  It's insurance.  You may need it.  By all means, you hopefully don't need it.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/love-sex/wife-of-millionaire-wins-unprecedented-case-to-overturn-prenup-agreement-182017682.html

No comments: