Tuesday, November 6, 2012

mental health/ consumer culture/ teen pregnancy

Nov. 5 Mental health: Yesterday at work was so busy because we had 3 big reservations.  We're all running around, but we made a lot of tips.  Today was very quiet at the restaurant.  I feel different today, but I don't know why.  I didn't have much of an appetite today, so I thought I overate yesterday. 

Today was really warm, it feels like early spring.  Maybe it was daylight savings time, and I got an extra hour of sleep.  I couldn't really concentrate much on my retail holiday job search on the internet.  Then I thought: "I haven't taken my Paxil in a couple of days because I ran out."  Could that be it?  I felt kind of angry today because I get in these moods sometimes.

Today I was finally able to reach my counselor and I would be able to see her for an appointment later.  As soon as I heard her on the phone, I felt good.  I got a boost.

Friends: After that I tried calling all my friends, and I was lucky to have my friend Sherry pick up.  We talked for 35 min.  She told me about some drama at places she worked at and terrible bosses.  She did give me some perspective.  I mentioned that email with the infographic about terrible bosses, and how I didn't really have one. 

Call Centre #3 had a supervisor who told me: "To lie your ass off to get more completed surveys."  Also that one employee from the Soup place who was mean to everybody, and then quit.  I did work at Call Centre #4 for 1 day, and was dismissed because 9 completes wasn't good enough.  Now that I think about it: What if I worked there for a longer time?  Maybe I would realize that the boss there was really terrible.  I didn't get the chance to know that though.      

Sherry told me about how she had a boss, and though she called in sick, the boss was yelling at her to come in because they really needed her.  If she didn't come in, then the boss would write her down like she had quit her job.  So she came in sick.  She did plan to keep working there and save enough money to quit.

Consumer culture: Now that the holiday season has come upon us, I feel like in Canada and the US, we have a very strong consumer culture.  We spend a lot of our times shopping, buying, and talking about what we bought, and what we're going to buy next.

It's not very fulfilling.  I read in the business section of the newspaper about this poll that most people buy things to give them a happy boost.  I was watching this ad on TV about putting stuff out on the curb and having a sign that says "FREE" and you can take whatever.  I see it's like: "So then most people can free up room in their homes, and buy more new stuff and the cycle keeps going."

It's how a lot of people are getting into debt, and not saving for retirement.  I would understand if you are responsible with your money and pay for rent and food, but don't have leftover money to put into retirement.  But if you do have disposable income, save or invest.

Retirement tip: I read in the business section of the newspaper, that you should save for your retirement money right now when you are young.  Don't wait until you're older and put more in.  What if you get sick and can't work as much?  Then you can't make enough money to save.  You can't predict the future, but you can control right here and now and save your money.

Music video: Drake has a video called "Find Your Love" and at the end of it, in big capital letters, each shot has each word that says: FIND. YOUR. LOVE."  In my video, I will say that, but: "SAVE.  YOUR.  MONEY."  lol.

Holidays and gifts:
In my family we don't exchange gifts for each other on Christmas or birthdays.  There are all these events like Father's Day and Mother's Day.  For all these events, we basically either go out for dinner or stay in and have a special dinner to celebrate.

My friend Cham thought up the idea of how we could have a gift exchange of $10 as the limit.  I said no, and that we should save our money.  Rarely do my friends ever give each other gifts.

Gift tip: I have read in the newspaper, a tip to save money for the holidays is that instead of buying a gift for every member of the family, you each buy 1 for each other.  Instead of buying one for your sister, one for your brother, you buy one for your sister, and your brother buys one for you.

Business: Some of you may think: "Well look at you Tracy.  You do write about you shopping at malls."  Yes, but I don't buy anything.  If you read it, I mainly am talking about what I saw.  I often write about new stores opening, and ones that are closing. 

Wal-mart: While I'm at it, Wal-Mart opened at the Meadowlark mall where Zellers used to be.  Wal-Mart took over the Zellers at Northgate mall.

Nov. 6 Teen pregnancy: I have to admit something to you guys.  I got home from work and I wanted to see what's on Dr. Phil.  It's about a teen girl Kayla who got pregnant on  purpose to get on a reality TV show.  I had to watch it because it's about teen pregnancy.  I did get angry when watching it, but I think DP really helped them by the end of it.  I kept my cool.  I didn't yell at the TV.

Here's the story.  Kayla watches 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom.  Her mom Jill thinks she got pregnant to get on TV.  Jill's boyfriend Mike lives with Jill.  Kayla doesn't like living with Jill and Mike, because she doesn't get along with them, so Kayla lives with her dad.  Kayla did apply to get on 16&P because she was already pregnant, so why not go on a TV show?  She also said that she and her boyfriend didn't like the condoms they had.

DP (to Kayla): You got pregnant because 1, you wanted to get on TV.  2, you wanted to keep your boyfriend.  3, you wanted to have a baby to play with, and show off to your friends.
Kayla does admit that she got pregnant on purpose to keep her boyfriend Vincent.  Judging from the show, it's a little bit of all 3 reasons.

Kayla saw Jenelle on Teen Mom 2 who gave custody of her kid to her mom to take care of.  So Kayla did the same thing because she doesn't have a job, failed out of cosmetology school, doesn't have a license.

Jill has custody of the kid, and is mainly raising it with her boyfriend Mike.  They were the only likeable smart people in this situation.  I really think Jill should have said this to Kayla: "If you want to have the kid and raise it as your own, you need to get your own place to live and get a job."  I think all parents should tell their teen daughters that.  Don't bring a baby home.

There's Kayla's ex-boyfriend Vincent who's a jerk.  He's immature.  He's so cocky about having 5000 friends on Facebook and he's mean.

Vincent's dad Lewis is a jerk too.  Not as much as Vincent.  It was very unintentionally funny when Lewis says to DP: "Let me tell you about responsibility."  The audience laughs at him.  However, Lewis didn't get angry at the audience.  Lewis said Jill was a "f---ing bitch."  He also said to DP's staff that he was going to push Mike to snap on TV.  So the audience and I think Lewis is a mean jerk.  Lewis only home 2 days a month.  There's a step mom to watch Vincent.  He disses Jill and Mike and audience says "ohhh."

Lewis says Vincent is a good dad, and Vincent should have custody.  The judge ruled in Jill's favor because there was only some information there, and not all.  The only redeemable thing about Lewis is that he agrees with Mike that the baby Milo is a gift.

Kayla's adult older sister Stacy: "Kayla called me a bitch when I got pregnant too.  That I was "stealing her thunder.  She and Vincent need to step up."

Kayla is just terrible.  The mom Jill (and her boyfriend Mike agrees) says: "Kayla is being a total bitch.  She's disrespectful.  She had sex with her new boyfriend at 7 months pregnant and got into premature labor.  She slapped me, and kicked me in the stomach when I had recently got abdominal surgery.  She badgers me to get what she wants."  Kayla didn't deny any of that.

Solutions:

DP: Somebody needs to speak for Milo. 
The audience cheers.

Kayla: I gave my mom custody because I'm not in school, don't have a job or car.  What could I give Milo?
DP: You can love him, nurture him, feed him, etc.
The audience cheers.

DP (to Kayla): You need to grow up.  

DP (to Vincent): You need to keep your pants zipped up slick.  You're showing off your maturity by smart mouthing me.
The audience cheers.

DP (to Vincent's dad Lewis): Stop being resentful. 

DP (to Kayla and Vincent): You don't need to have a relationship to be parents.  I will give you parenting classes, and help you get a job.

Tips:


DP: Teen pregnancy is not one conversation.  It's an ongoing dialogue to tell your teen daughter.

1. Value your body and not use it for entertainment.  Value yourself.  Don't say no for your mom or your dad.  Say no for yourself.

2. If she "loves" the boy, don't put him in the "Teen Daddy" box.  You change somebody's life too.

3. Statistics say that teen fathers will not be there for the baby.  If you a teen dad who takes care of your kid, good for you.  It's the the teen girl and her family who will take responsibility.

No comments: