Tuesday, November 27, 2012

elections/ reading/ actors

Nov. 7 Elections: Barack Obama got a 2nd term in the White House.  I'm happy about that. Also relieved that Mitt Romney didn't win.

Flashback: I remember when Obama was voted in back in 2008.  I was very happy about that.

I even remember in 2004, when I got home from school.  It turns out President George W. Bush got a 2nd term and I was disappointed that Senator John Kerry didn't win.

Crazy day: Today it was snowing so hard.  I had a doctor's appointment at 10:30am.  I left at 10:03 am to catch the bus as 10:10am.  It was 10:25, and the 10:30 bus should come.  I walked the 1min back home and asked my dad for a ride.

Fortunately he said yes.  He didn't really have anywhere to be today.  I have to express gratitude that we had a car, and a garage to put it in.  When it snows on your car, it takes time to get the snow off the windows.  I know that from my friends who have cars, but no garage. 

The office was really close by and I got there by 10:33 am.  My dad offered to wait with me there, and we read the newspapers.  I had to wait 45 min to see a dr.  That's fine, I'm used to it.  I wasn't impatient because I was reading.  It took less than a min. to get a prescription.  Tomorrow after work, I'll get the prescription. 

The roads were really snowy.  I had an appointment with my Counselor today, and I thought of cancelling it because of the roads.  She thought the same thing, and we rescheduled.

Mental health: I thought about how this anti-depressant could be a placebo.  Maybe I don't need it.  I quit for a few days, and now I'm sad.  I don't have an appetite and I can't really concentrate.

I found this saying and I will collect in my quotes: "The first step toward change is awareness; the second step is acceptance." -N. Brandon

I am self-aware of what gets me angry.  Yesterday I had to watch that Dr. Phil ep about that girl who got pregnant on purpose.  I knew it was going to get me angry.  I thought of: "How about you print off a bunch of resumes and take the bus to mall and look for that holiday job?  That way you're not in the house watching this show."  But if I was at the mall, then the entire time I would be thinking: "I have to get home and watch this show."

Watch the episode, but don't let it take over your life.

Nov. 10 Feelings: The past couple of days was busy at the restaurant.  I know the next two days are going to be busy too for the long weekend.  The major snowfall has taken over the city, and it's harder to get around town.  I feel kind of stressed out.  The thing is, I go to work and work hard.  I go home and relax by watching TV and reading the newspaper.

Reading: I read the 24 newspaper on the bus to work.  I need to know what's going on in the city and in the world.  I go home and then I read the business sections of the newspapers the Edmonton Journal, National Post, and the Globe and Mail.  I read the comics, scan to see the entertainment section to see if there's anything interesting.  I do like reading the Globe and Mail's Life section because of the human interest stories.

My dad asked me if I am reading his book he got Don't Waste Your Time by Edwin B. Feldman, P.E.  I'm halfway through it.  I'm also halfway through From Across the River, the Poetry Institute of Canada's anthology.  My short story "Chase" was published in it. 

A couple of weeks ago, one of my co-workers offered to lend me the book Fifty Shades of Grey to read.  I turned it down, because I have so much to read.  I would like to read the book to see what the hype is all about, but I don't really like reading novels.

As a kid/ teen, I like to read fiction.  I want to be transported into a place I've never been before.  It could be realistic fiction like The Baby- Sitter's Club series by Ann M. Martin or the Fearless series by Francine Pascal.  I did read some Nancy Drew books.  I read for fun.

As I got into my early 20s, I like to read non-fiction like the newspaper.  I read the news to inform myself, I read to learn.  I do read book, TV, and movie reviews for fun.  There is interior decorating to read in the Homes section of the Edmonton Journal.

Isla Fisher: She's an actress and was in the movie Wedding Crashers.  She was also in Confessions of a Shopaholic

“After doing that (Wedding Crashers), I had 12 months where I was auditioning three times a day and I didn’t get a single job.  That was a real low point.  But with hindsight, those movies turned out to be awful, so I dodged a bullet.  If I’d got any of them, I wouldn’t be where I am today.” –Isla Fisher

This quote resonated with me because it's about her job search and mine.  I feel like with some places I didn't get hired at or did interviews for, I can look back and say: "That wasn't for me."  Kind of like that job where I went door-to-door selling subscriptions. 

Actors: That's why I don't really want to be a big famous actor.  You get the admiration and money.  However, there are times where you do a terrible movie, and you flopped in front of everybody.  At the very least, you get made fun of.  At the very most, your career is not as good afterwards.

Here are a couple of examples.  The least:

Jamie Foxx was on Jay Leno.  They were doing a sketch at the beginning of the show.

Leno: I love your movie.  I think everybody should watch it.
Foxx: Thank you.  I'm glad you like Ray so much.
Leno" What?  Ray?  I was talking about Ray, I was talking about your movie Booty Call.
The audience laughs.

Booty Call was made before Ray.

The most: I remember going on Fametracker Forums back in 2003 to say I didn't like the movie Batman and Robin.  I was 13 yrs old when I saw it on TV, and I didn't like it.  Someone then made a comment:

"Have you noticed that after Batman and Robin, Chris O'Donnell and Alicia Silverstone never really got any good roles after that?"


Me: Oh, yeah.  Now O'Donnell is on NCIS: Los Angeles and Silverstone did some work on the show Surbagatory.  She wrote a book about healthy living.  Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Kind-Diet-Simple-Feeling/dp/1605296449

Hindsight: You know the saying: "Hindsight is 20/20 vision."

Dictionary.com's definition of hindsight: "recognition of the realities, possibilities, or requirements of a situation, event, decision etc., after its occurrence."

2 comments:

seo said...

Always look forward for such nice post & finally I got you. Really very impressive post & glad to read this.
Architects in Indore
Civil Contractors in Indore

seo said...

Best content & valuable as well. Thanks for sharing this content.
Approved Auditor in DAFZA
Approved Auditor in RAKEZ
Approved Auditor in JAFZA
i heard about this blog & get actually whatever i was finding. Nice post love to read this blog
Approved Auditor in DMCC