Friday, August 19, 2011

job interviews/ school/ different paths

Aug. 15 Job interviews: Today is my day off and I had two job interviews. I did manage to have some fun on my day off by going shopping between the interviews. The first interview was in downtown as a receptionist. It turns out I had sent my resume to them months ago, but they needed someone now. There are a lot of applicants. She told me about the job. I don't know if I will get it.

Then I took the bus to the other place. It turns out the position is like a call centre, but this time I'm the one taking all the incoming calls and I'm not making them. I've been to that office before, but I didn't know that it was a call centre. There are shifts that end at midnight and I told them I wanted to end the shift at 9pm to catch the bus.

There are buses that go late at night, but I don't feel safe staying that late. There are people all across the country making phone calls so that's why the call centre is so late. All the other call centres I worked at, the shifts end at 9pm.

Shopping: I went to City Centre and Costa Blanca and Urban Behavior are closing down, and everything's on sale. There's a Costa Blanca at Kingsway and an Urban Behavior at West Ed mall if you like those stores. At West Ed there's a new store called Boathouse that took over where the clothing Off the Wall used to be. Boathouse sells Hurley and Billabong for men, women, and kids.

I had went to T&T in the Northgate and they sell these cute little cakes. One was a hedgehog. I saw a guy take pictures of them.

Aug. 16 Job assessment: Today I did a little interview over the phone today for a company. I was thinking about that Industrial company that hired me on the spot. It's been a week and I don't regret that I didn't take the job.

I say to myself: "Don't put obstacles in front of yourself." I had printed out all the maps and bus routes that I would have to take to get to and from work on the weekdays and weekends if I worked there. I was prepping myself up in my mind to imagine if I did take the job. It's okay I didn't take the job, because I'm doing a lot of interviews.

Law of attraction: I was thinking about the Canadian singer George. He's Asian and he sings R&B. His manager is Howie D from the Backstreet Boys. I was thinking of how he came out in 2006 and released a few songs, but now we don't see him. Then I turned on the TV and accidentally pressed the wrong buttons and got satellite radio. I got George's song "Lie to Me" playing.

Aug. 17 Crazy day: I went to another job interview today. I was coming home from work, but then stopped in downtown. It was easier to get to the interview from there. I then got to the bus stop and it was 45 min. before I had to be at the interview. It was ample time to find the place. But then it took me the whole time to find the place. I stopped at this place to ask for directions and they gave me the right direction.

It turns out I had walked past it. I then stopped at another place and she gave me the right direction because I walked a block away. I then asked two men and they gave me the right direction. I then asked a woman at a restaurant and she gave me the wrong direction. Then I called the office and she told me the right direction.

At least I got to the interview on time, and did the interview instead of giving up. I'm proud of myself. I think the interview was okay, she's going to interview 5 more people. The job seems pretty hard.

School: I got home and talked to my dad about my interviews. He says I should go to school. It's been 8 months (Apr.-Nov. 2010) job/ office job search. Then it's been 10 months of office job search.

I have talked about school with my dad earlier and asked about Norquest College and CDI College. He says I shouldn't go to it and that I should go to NAIT and Grant MacEwan. I also thought about that Metro article about going to school when you can't get a job.

You know what? I should take one or two computer classes to learn programs like Simply Accounting and Quickbooks. I can honestly say to myself that I have spent 18 months looking really hard for an office job by sending hundred resumes a month. I did so much and I have gotten myself the interviews with my Professional Writing diploma. However, I need more computer skills.

Different paths: I was thinking about how in 2010 when I was laid off I could have gone to school in the fall. Then I could still get EI and I may have possibly gotten an office job by now. But I wouldn't know, because I didn't take that path. I did get my appendix out so I may have missed a few days off of school if I did go to it.

I am happy with the path that I have taken. Now I know that after 18 months of an intense job search, I know I have given it my best shot. I know that I can get an office job on my own like what happened last year. I learned that I need to improve on my interpersonal skills. I need to go to school even if it's one class.

Aug. 18 Writing: I finally did something I haven't done in 6 weeks. I got on the computer and typed up more of my Rain script. There was this big plot point with the lead character, but then I wrote it for a supporting character. That way the supporting character will be put more in the background, and the lead character will be forced to take the spotlight. I worked for 1.5 hrs on it.

Dialogue: My brother was watching Shark Week on Discovery, and there was this reenactment.

Cut to the beach.
Man: I thought we were safe.
Cop: Nowhere's safe.
Me: Cliche.

It's true, nowhere's safe. I guess it was the delivery of the line.

Tension: I feel tense when I watch the TV show Prison Break and always think: "Will these inmates get caught or killed?" I feel tense when I watch Flashpoint as in: "Will the Strategic Response Unit be able to save the people or will they get killed?" Now I add the teen show Pretty Little Liars as in: "Who is A? Who is stalking these 4 girls?"

I learn to create tension for my scripts.

Aug. 19 Crazy interview: I went to another job interview today. It was crazy. I talked to the receptionist yesterday and she said to come at 1pm. I had to go to work, and to get there by 1pm, I would be late so I asked to come at 1:15pm. I was a little lost in finding the place in the right building, but I found it.

I was then told to wait so I read a magazine. The interview started and it seems to go bad because he asked why I wasn't here at 1pm. I told him I had to work and to get here, it takes nearly 1 hr bus ride. He asked why I couldn't leave work earlier. I guess I could have done that. Someone at work had to leave earlier for an appointment. Also I was under the impression that I could come at 1:15pm so that's why I didn't leave work earlier.

I was very tense and nervous. The other 3 interviews I did this week, I wasn't. He said he was willing to give me a shot, and to call him on Mon. I'm going to prepare myself for it by reading my books and the website. I don't totally know if I'm hired, because I can see him saying: "We decided to go in a different direction" because I have gotten that before. I'm sure a lot of people have heard that phrase.

You know the saying: "Don't count all your eggs before they're hatched." It's not until I work a shift there before I can say I'm hired.

5 comments:

Jan said...

The type of CVs are in the market which are allowing us to make our decisions and give our opinions to helpful link where the students come and gain the data of their own interest.

Nam said...

We need to upload our resumes on http://www.resumesamples2017.com/best-teacher-resume-samples-2017 so the employers can watch those and make their minds by looking at our experience and the skills we have.

mikon said...

We all are looking for job and for that we have to be more focused and go to this site to look around for the new job so we can have better idea of what we are getting from there.

Rahsj said...

An interview is carried out for the job under the shadow of the elements. The elevation of the job so that you can check it out for the smoothness of the people. The personality is inquired for the fulfillment of the goals for the humans.

Anonymous said...

Good blog post, Law is the field of preparing that outfits a man with value and sensibility. Nothing can be made progressed without the value system. This http://www.resumeeditingservice.com/our-services/resume-formatting-service/ site are overseeing in best synthesis organizations.