Tuesday, August 30, 2011

crazy news/ discipline/ Catfish

Aug. 28 Crazy news: I found this on Yahoo called "Wrestling sister take down hit and run suspect." Brittany and Brienna Delagado are on the Oklahoma University Wrestling team. They were riding with their grandma when they saw a car collision. The driver of the car ran out. The sisters chased after him and tackled him and held him down. Good for them.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201108/wrestling-sisters-take-down-hit-and-run-suspect

Discipline: I was reading The Globe and Mail about parenting. When your child does something wrong like steal, don't humiliate and shame your kids to discipline them. Kids don't have the emotional ability to handle it. They will grow up with lower self- esteem and confidence. It was talking about a woman in Australia who found out her 10 yr old son stole candy from a store and she made him wear a sandwich board on a street. It said: "Don't trust me because I'm a THIEF."

Another case was a kid called his teacher a jackass, and his mom made him wear a sandwich board saying something like, I can't remember. Uh, "I called my teacher a jackass, honk if you think I need an education." The mom in Australia had a really hard time disciplining him. She took him to jail cells, the police station, a visit to juvenile hall and it still didn't work. This was her last resort. The solution mentioned in the article was: Take him to the store and get him to apologize to the owner. Don't go back there unless accompanied by an adult.

In the teacher case, apologize to the teacher. He may get detention and write lines: "I will not call my teacher mean names."

Teenagers: Teenagers can not really be shamed. Or not as easily as kids. I was thinking about those out of control teenager girls on the Maury show. The girls come out and the audience of 200 people are booing her. She would give them the finger and say: "Whatever, whatever, don't be hatin', don't be hatin'." These girls aren't ashamed.

You need to pull out the bigger guns. You send them to a woman's prison, boot camp, or get that really built black guy who's a motivational speaker to talk to them. After a day or two of intense therapy, they will straighten out. They will come back and say: "I don't want to be a stripper anymore. After I was at that women's prison I realized that it could be my future unless I change now." There are also the video post cards where they tape a message to Maury where they thank him for his help.

Catfish: Today I was watching 20/20 The Sixth Sense. It talked about the documentary Catfish. It stars Nev Schulman who falls in love with a girl named Megan on Facebook. I missed the first 20 min. of it, but I saw the last 40 min. of it. I then got the other names from Wikipedia. Nev lives with his brother Ariel and friend Henry.

Nev gets an email from this 8 yr old girl Abby Pierce. She had painted this painting of one of N's photo. They became Facebook friends, and all these people are in Abby's network. N then falls in love with A's beautiful older sister Megan. N and his brother and friend all start filming this entire online long- distance relationship for 9 months.

Then they start thinking it's not real and N, Ariel, and Henry all go to Michigan where Megan supposedly lived. They go the address of this one farm, and no one's there because it's at night. Prior to it, they sent all the film footage to their editor in case they don't come back.

The next day they go to Megan's house. It's all being filmed. N meets the mom Angela. She invites them in. She introduces them to her husband Vince, and then her two mentally and physically disabled step sons. Then there is Abby who isn't even an artist at all.

It turns out Angela Wesselman created all these fake people. Angela is 40 something yr old housewife and she had made all these paintings. She put it on the internet expecting support, but got a lot of disses. So she created it that the paintings were from an 8 yr old girl prodigy so people would be nicer to her.

She chose Nev randomly. It starts off small pretending to be an 8yr old girl, but you can't have a Facebook profile without any friends. Angela had to create all these other characters to support her one character. N and his friends even said: "You can create all these characters if you're Shakespeare or J.K. Rowling."

20/20 interviewed Angela about why she did all this. After creating one 8yr old girl, she created Megan. From this online relationship she had with Nev, in a way it's like she fell in love with Nev, but Nev certainly fell for her. She used the internet to escape her life by living her fantasy life.

When N and his friends came to visit her, she said she knew the day was going to come when her fantasy life would end. It was exhausting to keep up this online. She said she won't do it again because it was so hard. She discussed that she doesn't have multiple personality disorders because she can pretend to be so many people.

I think she's very creative. She paints and can seem to write if she can do voices of other people online. She should use her creative energy to keep painting and write, and not pretend to be someone online.

It's called Catfish, because Angela's husband Vince said this (paraphrase): "When fisherman catch fish, they put all the codfish in one place. They put a catfish in it so it could make the codfish more agile. We need catfish in life to always keep us humans always guessing. If we aren't, then we would be boring and never grow."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish_%28film%29

Aug. 29 Dance: I really wanted to watch the Britney Spears tribute on the MTV Music Video Awards. I saw the part today on Youtube. It's really good. Lady Ga Ga is talking about her, and then they showed the performance. The dance number was kind of short though. They played a medley of some of Spears's songs and they had about 20 dancers dressed like her in her videos, all dancing together on stage. It was good choreography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOlr9h04Kqc

Comparsions:

"If your parents die, you become a superhero": I read a review about Columbiana in the National Post. This movie isn't shown to critics. The article talked about: "If your parents die, you become a superhero." Like in Batman Begins.

"If parents or loved ones die, you have to avenge their death": I thought that up when I saw the Columbiana trailer like The Princess Bride.

Aug. 30 Job search: I did an interview for the optometrist clinic and they called me and rejected me. That's okay.

I kind of dreaded doing this, but I called that law firm where I did that "crazy interview." I was studying my computer book for 5 days afterwards. They said the receptionist position has been filled. I know, it's been 12 days since the interview. By studying my book, I took some time off my job search.

Rant: I was kind of under the impression that I was going to get hired at the law firm. He said to me to call him on Mon. when I get my schedule and he may work something out for me. I wasn't really hired.

Yeah, well at least it wasn't as bad as Call Centre #3 back in 2007. I thought I was hired and did a day of training. Then they told me to call next week to get my schedule. Then when I called, they said they didn't really hire me and they're going with someone else. At least I got paid when I did that day of training.

Yesterday, I went back on Kijiji, and there were 10 pages of job ads I had to go through. Most were staffing agencies and I didn't miss out on anything. Yeah, well at least I forced myself to study and write my Rain script.

No comments: