Wednesday, August 10, 2011

job interview/ songs/ laughing about death

Aug. 8 Job interview: Today was crazy. I did a job interview in an industrial part of town. I took 2 buses to get there and they said they would hire me if I was willing to start tomorrow.

The cons are:

1. It takes 2 buses to get to there and back if I work on the weekdays. (35min to 45min). It takes 3 buses to get to there on Sat. and 3 buses to get back. (1hr to and from.)

The pros are:

1. $15/hr to start.
2. It's full-time.
3. I can still work at the restaurant on Sundays.
4. It took me 10 months to get this job.
5. It doesn't work out, I can still work at the restaurant.

Songs: Now I'm thinking of Mariah Carey's song "Can I Get Your Number?" This song is relevant to the job because she sings: "How many times in your life/ Do you get an opportunity like this tonight?"

I'll tell you how often, once a year.

2008: It took me 4 months to get a job at the big company.
2009: It took me 8 months to get a job at Call Centre #3.
2010: It took me 8 months to get an office/ customer service job that didn't work out after a couple of weeks.

But I do have another job interview in the food service at this school. I did an interview for them before months ago, but didn't get the position. But now they're interviewing me again. So I think I should do the interview at the school. I will take my chances and call the industrial company and say: "I won't take the job right now. I have another interview on Wednesday."

Then I thought of Danity Kane's song "Ride 4 U" and they sing: "I been with you for too long to start over with another." I've been with my restaurant job for 10 months, and I don't really want to start another job. I'm scared and hesitant of change. I'm more willing to try new things like new perfume and foods, but not jobs because it's risky.

And I thought of Kelly Clarkson's song "Breakaway": "Take a risk/ Make a change/ And breakaway." Cliches, but sometimes you have to take a risk.

Good advice: I just talked to my dad and he gave me some good advice.

Dad: Don't call the industrial company if you are going to do an interview somewhere else. Only call the company if you want to work there. Do you want to know why they hired you? It's not really an office job at an office. Also it's 6 days a week.
Me: Yeah, and a lot of people want a work/ life balance.

The thing is, I have to take 2 buses to get to the school, but I'm familiar with it and I want to go there. I'm also working at a big company right now and I can transfer to different parts of the company.

School: I was reading the Metro and it interviewed Natascha F. Saunders of Youth Career Coaching said: "First ask, 'Why are you thinking about going back to school?' If it's just 'I can't find a job', that's not good enough. You're spending so much time learning new curriculum that you're going to be frustrated if it's not truly a desire for you to get those additional skills."

The article then said instead of taking out a loan to do 2 yrs, take a few courses first. I agree. By all means, you may not like the program, but at least you only spent $500 on one course and it's for a semester. Unlike one year, and there goes a few thousand dollars for something that won't help you.

Can you afford it? And are you emotionally ready to get back into the zone of studying?

That article applied to this job offer. I want to take the job because I am so sick of looking for a job. If I take this job, I can stop with the job search. That's not good enough. Do you want to work there? Well not as much as I want to work at the school that I will be interviewing for.

Friends: I got a flashback of a couple of weeks ago where my friend Jessica asked if I wanted to take Chinese with her.

Me: My grandma and mom would love that. But I don't want to spend $500 on something that I don't like or have to take. It's not totally necessary or will make a big improvement on my resume.

If I take a course like Simply Accounting, or like Microsoft Excel, computer classes, that would help since I'm trying to get a receptionist job.

Coincidence: Today I had some time to kill before I go to the interview, so I went to Winners. They were playing the song "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. It was at around 2pm. After the interview, I went to another Winners, and they were playing that song too and it was 4pm. Maybe all Winners have the same cd. lol.

Shoplifting: I noticed at Winners that they were putting perfume bottles and locking them up in individual cases. I told this to my brother and he said: "At Wal- Mart, they put Yugioh cards behind cases like with $200 power tools. The cards are $5 a package, but the store was losing 50 packages a day."

Aug. 9 Laughing about death: I was thinking about it again where Cordelia disses Buffy because her parents her divorced.

Buffy: Do you have parents?
Cordelia: I have two unlike some people.

But what if Buffy said this: "You don't know anything about sharing because you're an only child. Why? Because your brother's dead."

Is that funny? I don't think it is and I wrote it. I am imitating Tobias on Arrested Development.

Tobias: Look at you. You're not married. Why? Because your wife is dead.
Camera pan around Michael, Lindsay, and Tobias as they look at each other during this awkward pause.

That was funny. The audience doesn't really laugh about death or how Tobias is so mean. You are laughing because Tobias has created the most socially awkward situation ever.

I was thinking about The Simpsons where Mr. Burns was going to a health check up. He fills out this form.

Mr. Burns: Cause of parents death: They got in my way.

That joke is really more of "laughing about murder."

Tosh. O: Here's a joke from Tosh. O. Cut to a video clip of a guy throwing a baseball at a stadium. The baseball is thrown way off to the left side. It was a very poor throw.

Daniel Tosh: Looks like somebody doesn't have a dad.

It's kind of mean, but it was kind of funny. I don't know about the thrower, maybe he does have a dad to play catch with or he doesn't have a dad. Well my siblings and I never threw a ball around with my dad because none of us are into sports.

Job search: I got a call from the Edmonton Petroleum club for a receptionist position. They said it's part- time, and the shifts are nights 5pm-9pm. But it's the summer and it's wedding season, and with Christmas season, you would have to stay as late as midnight or 1am.

I can't take the bus that late. The buses may run that late, but it's not safe. So we both decided it's not going to work. Maybe if I applied during the fall season, I would get hired. Then when Christmas rolls around, they hire someone else while I keep my shifts there. I don't know. Here's their website:

http://www.edpetroleumclub.com/

The pictures are good to show the weddings being held there. They're also hiring servers.

I was on Kijiji and I see that this office job I got and was dismissed from last year, are hiring again. I'm not going to apply because I know they won't hire me back. It's not like same store, different locations. It's the same store, same location.

Aug. 10: Today I went to another job interview. I went there and been interviewed by them before months ago. They remembered me. They are hiring a lot of people for these casual positions and I think I have a high chance of getting hired. It may be part- time, but the pay is good.

No comments: