Sunday, May 1, 2011

writing/ disability/ abortions on TV

Apr. 26 Writing: I got some more feedback from Marty Chan. I asked him if he predicted this other plot point in the script, and he said he didn't. That's good. He says: "...the more pressing concern is the fact that I had trouble caring about them as characters. As you cycle through your script, find more opportunities to build their relationship in a plausible way."

I remember this tip of how you write 10 pages and you give it to someone to read. They give feedback and you rewrite it. You give that 10 pages to someone else for feedback, they read it and you rewrite it again. You would keep rewriting the same 10 pages. You should write the whole thing and then have someone read it.

If you get writer's block, you can have someone read it. The important thing is to complete it. That's why I kept submitting to MC new pages. However, I have now sent Part 5 of the script, and have writer's block. I feel like I should go back and rewrite some things. It could make me think of things to add to my script.

Apr. 30 Newspapers: I don't read books anymore. I used to when I was a kid and a teenager. Now all I do is read newspapers because I learn a lot and it expands my mind.

The A section: It's important to know what's going on in the world.

The business section: I need to know how the economy is going, and it helps me with my job search. There are career tips.

The entertainment section: I like reading TV and movie reviews because it helps with my writing.

The life section: It gives me tips about relationships, and advice. I really like reading The Globe and Mail life section because on Tues. it's about money and on Fri. it's about relationships.

Disability: Today at the restaurant, I saw a woman without any arms. She was using her feet and toes to use a fork to eat off her plate. I have seen this before. I have written about this young Chinese man who lost his arms in an accident when he was 10. Then he learned how to adjust to life and learned how to play the piano with his toes. He got so good he went on some Chinese TV talent show.

I have even seen something like this years ago on Maury. This black woman didn't have arms, and she went grocery shopping and cooked dinner with her feet. She chopped vegetables using her toes to hold the knife.

I have seen this man on 20/20. He didn't have legs or arms. He was born that way. He's a motivational speaker. I have seen the same guy on Chinese TV.

May 1 Rant: Prep yourself up for an angry email.

This is a mild rant. It happened about a month ago. I was waiting for the bus, and this Jehovah's witness was walking toward me and the others who are waiting. Then the bus came and the witness walked away. Ha, ha, now you can't pass your propaganda to us. lol.

Dateline: I was thinking about that Dateline: To Catch a Predator ep again about a 35 yr old guy dating a 12 yr old. Wouldn't it be kind of funny that after that date, the girl emails him back saying she's not interested in him? Isn't that a blow to his ego that he can't even get a 12 yr old to date him?

I kind of got that one from 90210. It was in Dec. 2010, and Dixon had dated a woman named Sasha who is in her 20s. Sasha makes an appearance on the show where she says to Dixon (paraphrase): "I got dumped by my boyfriend. Then I went out with you and you dumped me, and a high school kid rejecting me really hurt my ego."

However, that 35 yr old guy could go and get another 12 yr old, so Dateline had to stop him from continuing preying on children.

Abortions on TV: It's kind of annoying that American TV shows hardly show anyone having an abortion because it's a controversial topic. I was watching Pretty Little Liars and Spencer's sister Ren tells her that she was pregnant last summer. She was going to have an abortion, but she had a miscarriage before she went. How convenient.

I will give this show partial credit for having a character going to have an abortion. It kind of loses points that she conveniently miscarries. I guess to make Ren a sympathetic character.

I will give points for Criminal Minds. The character Agent Prentiss had talked about having an abortion when she was a teenager. Go Criminal Minds. I guess it's a adult crime drama so that's why you can have a regular character have an abortion. Pretty Little Liars is a teen show so you can't have an abortion.

I do remember on Law and Order: SVU where a teen girl said she had an abortion. I remember Melissa Joan Hart (Sabrina from Sabrina the Teenage Witch) guest- star on the show and she had abortion too on the episode she was in.

I can't believe it, but I'm going to say something good about Secret Life of the American Teenager. Brenda Hampton is the worst writer ever, but she managed to write a good piece of dialogue here. Ricky, and his mom Nora are at a butcher shop talking about abortion.

Nora: Like a butcher shop isn't the perfect place to talk about-
Ricky: Mom!

It's kind of a dark joke. I would expect that from Tosh. O. On Tosh. O, I remember where Daniel Tosh says (paraphrase):

DT: My mom says: "Where's my grandchild?" I say: "You did have a grandchild. She just didn't keep it."

STDs on TV: On the Canadian TV show The Best Years, about college, there was an STD episode. The Halloween episode has a girl find out that one of her friends is HIV positive.

On 90210, Dixon's ex Sasha was HIV positive. I don't even watch this show anymore, because it's crappy and I'm not interested in it. I will give the show points that it did show the girl Ivy talking to her mom about sex and condoms.

I remember way back in 2003, when I used to watch The Young and the Restless, Lily got chlamydia. I was 18 back then, and I thought that if she got pregnant, then she would just get an abortion. That was naive of me to think she would have an abortion, because you don't have abortions on American network TV. So that's why she has an STD to deal with it.

I remember Mac had a miscarriage. Then years later there was a storyline where Lily is married and gotten pregnant. She did say: "I don't even know about having the kid." So at least they're talking about abortion on American network TV.

Blog: I found this article to be very interesting and informative. Did you know that men used to be telephone operators? But then they started doing prank phone calls and too busy flirting with women callers. Then only women became telephone operators because they were able to be professional on the job.

Hi Tracy,

We would love to share with you an article that we just posted on our own blog! “10 Fun Phone Facts from Telephone History” (http://www.landlinephoneservice.net/blog/2011/10-fun-phone-facts-from-telephone-history/) would be an interesting story for your readers to check out and discuss on your blog, so we hope you will consider sharing it!

Thanks so much for your time!
Lindsay Willison

No comments: