Saturday, January 3, 2009

Short Fiction Forms entries 1,2

Entry 1 Sept. 7, 2007

“If what we know is what resembles us, what we know is a garden.”

An interesting analogy. I feel that the first part about “what we know is what resembles us” is true. I want to add, what we like and what we experience is what makes us who we are. Where we’re from and what our family is like create our identity.

Garden means a variety of things because they grow vegetables, fruits, flowers, and plants. Each individual knows many things about all sorts of subjects. We learn and grow from our life experiences. A garden resembles life. There is often a lot of color in a garden which is like life.

Entry 2 Sept. 7, 2007

“Of all the guys who are standing around bus shelters in Edmonton, dressed in nothing but their underpants, Marky Mark is undeniably the most polite.”

This kind of reminds me of that time six years ago when I was in college. My friends had dared me to run around the block in my boxers. I took the dare. It was cold, but I managed. I saw a girl waiting for the bus. She was standing there with her headphones on. She saw me and gave me a weird look. She took off her headphones and asked, “Are you okay?” I said, “Yes. How are you?” “I’m good,” she replies. “Where are your clothes?” “They’re at the dry cleaners. I’m going out for a jog while I wait.” I burst out laughing and said, “I’m kidding. My friends dare me to. One of them is in that apartment looking at us.” I pointed at the apartment where Derek was.

“What’s your name?” she asked. “Garret,” I answered. “Hi, I’m Julie.” We got into a nice conversation as she was waiting for the bus. Then her bus came and she left. She did tell me she always took that bus after work. So the next day I went to the bus stop and waited for her. She wasn’t there. I came again the day after that and she showed up. “It’s you again,” she said.

“Yes, me. It’s Garret, by the way.”
“Yeah, I remember.”
“You doing anything tonight?” I asked.
“Going home.”
“Well why don’t you come to the bar with me and my friends. It’s the Vertex. It’s a few blocks from here.”
Julie’s eyes lit up. “Oh I know where that is. We can take the bus there.”

We took the bus and got into the Vertex. We had a lot of fun. I had a few drinks, she didn’t drink any alcohol. I introduced her to Derek. I laughed at all her jokes. By midnight, she said she had to leave.

“So soon?” I asked. “It’s midnight.”
She replies, “Yeah and that’s late. I’m going home. See ya.”
I hailed a cab for her and pulled her into a hug before she got in. It was one of the best nights I ever had.

No comments: