Saturday, January 17, 2009

"Lemons" short story

"Lemons" by Tracy Au (Creative Writing 2006)

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade," my dad always said. That's the only way he got through life. My dad worked for the mob. He attempted to leave, but it was hard to turn down money. He had a daughter to take care of. When he finally got the courage to leave, he got shot by the mob boss. My dad had stolen enough money so that he could take us to a far away place from New York, such as Seattle. It didn't happen because he got shot as he was driving to pick me up from school.

My dad never drank. He always liked to be alert. The mob called him any time of the day for him to do work. He often dranked lemonade. It was sweet, just like him. I had to stay in witness protection so I won't get hurt. I had kept a journal of all the times my dad came home with blood on his shirt. I'll be reading it in court as my testimony. Prior to it, I'll be drinking some lemonade to remind me of my dad.

No comments: