Saturday, January 3, 2009

"Blackout" short story by Tracy Au

Blackout
By Tracy Au

This was my first week working at the Vertex. It’s a computer company and I work at the call centre section. I went to the coffee room on my way to the elevator. The boss Crow and a few of my coworkers were there. Crow says, “There isn’t going to be an oil industry anymore due to how there will be no more oil. What’s your take on this Corrine?” I asked, “What is this? A Mensa meeting?” They laughed. “I don’t really care. We should all take the bus because it’s better for the environment. See you tomorrow.”

At the elevator I press the G button. Then came a black out. I wasn’t too surprised because that occurs during the winter time. I was standing in the dark for about twenty seconds waiting for the lights to come back on. Damn it. I don’t have a flashlight or a cell phone. I decided to trace my fingers with the wall to get back to the office. Someone would have a cell phone. The safety lights went on. I was relieved, but not for long. I jumped as a masked man punches me in the face. “Hey! You bitch!” I shouted. He grabbed me from behind and puts his arm around my neck. He’s trying to choke me! I started freaking out. I bit his arm. I knock my head back and it hits his face. The back of my head was aching, but I ignored the pain. I elbow him away and swing my bag at his head and he falls over. I kick him in the stomach and ran back to the office.

Crow rushed out. “Are you okay? I heard some shouting.” “A man just attacked me and he’s in the hallway,” I told him. “I’ll call security,” the woman behind him said. “Do you know how he looked like?” she asked. “No, he was wearing a mask. He might have gotten away, but I kicked him down. Let’s go back there and take the mask off,” I said. “I’ll come with,” said Crow.

Crow and I rushed back to where the attack occurred. The man was gone. I asked “Aren’t there security cameras?” Crow says “Oh yeah!” We clambered down the staircase to the front desk at the ground floor which has all the security cameras. “Go to the 5th floor” I told the security guard. “They’re all not working. It must have been the black out” he explained. The security guard looks up and a young man walks towards us from the hallway. “What are you still doing here Boz?” “I decided to come to work 10 hours early. No, I was going to go to the parking lot, but then went to the washroom” answers Boz.

“Did you see anyone leaving or coming in since the black out?” I asked. The guard shook his head, “It’s been really quiet. The attacker could have left through the back door come to think of it, but the cameras aren’t working. I’ll call the police.” Boz’s nose was bleeding. “Your nose is bleeding” I told him. “Oh yeah,” says Boz. He put his briefcase on the table and the guard handed him a box of tissues. I grabbed the briefcase. “Hey!” shouted Boz. I opened it and pulled out the mask that the attacker was wearing.

No comments: