Sunday, October 5, 2008

"Purse" short story by Tracy Au

“Purse”

By Tracy Au

I’m not a purse kind of girl. Never was. Always into backpacks. The day of all days I was carrying one, someone had to grab it and steal it. I felt someone push me from behind and I thought it was accident. I then felt my purse was yanked away from me.

What you don’t know is that I have an anger management problem. I get really angry when watching Dr Phil. My friend Leslie says it’s because I take it too personal. It’s true. When I realized that man (bitch) stole my purse, I immediately yelled, “F--- you!” at him. Swearing at him wasn’t going to get my purse back. I felt a surge of adrenaline shoot up in me. That guy thinks I’m weak. I immediately chased after him. Number one mistake pal, I’m not wearing heels. I was wearing sneakers.

“Stop that man!” I called. It was really packed. A lot of people were getting onto the LRT. It just so happens the people waiting for the LRT all had headphones. Damn you iPods! I was getting closer to him. I reached out and pushed him. He fell and let go of my purse. It flew on the tracks.

I got on top of the thief and took a good look at him. By now people were taking off their headphones and coming over to me. “He stole my purse! Call the cops” I told the crowd. One man did. Soon the cops came and they pulled me off him. Some of the people around me asked if I was okay and I said yes. The cops interviewed me and the other witnesses. I saw two cops haul that bitch up the stairs. He and I made eye contact as we looked up. “Don’t you ever f--- with me bitch.” His eyes looked down. “Yeah, that’s right. You got your ass kicked by a girl you coward!”

My purse was in bad shape after it got run over by the train. Anyone else would have thrown it out. I kept it as a trophy, next to the newspaper article of where they covered the story of me catching the purse snatcher.

No comments: