Friday, October 17, 2008

charity/ job/ wild

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2008

charity/ job/ wild

Oct. 15 Charity: This woman Lisa quit her job today. She was currently living in a women's shelter. I told her to move back in with her parents, but she said she didn't get along with them. I don't think she took my advice, but she is going to move back in with her parents. She couldn't stand living in the shelter and she wants to be healthy again and that's why she's going back home, and not because she listened to me. I wished her luck.

What a coincidence, I went back home and I got a letter from the charity Hope Mission. They help homeless people. Right now they are trying to raise money for a Christmas dinner. I have donated to them a few times like that Easter dinner. They give you this piece of paper like a table placing mat, and you write your first name on it. You can donate $2.58 and it will provide a holiday meal.

Here's what they do: give food, clothes, shelter to the homeless and hungry. If you want more information or to donate go to: Hope Mission

Job: My job is like the TV show The OC. It has a long roster of tertiary characters that come in, and quit. Kirsten and Angel worked here for one day, and quit and I never met them. I met Rashed and Jenna who worked here for a day, and quit. Vivian was my replacement and quit after a week. Dana quit after 2 months. Lisa quit. Ray quit after working here for months. I have worked her for 5 months and 8 people quit.

It's kind of like Roots. I worked there for 5 months and the people quit are: Jordan, Meghan, Jolynn, Paras, Harmonie, and this other girl I can't remember her name, and this woman who quit to take care of her kids. Though I remember the time I was talking to Harmonie. Here is the conversation back in 2005:

Me: What's your sister's name?
Harmonie: Melodie. I know, it's too perfect. We spell the end of our names with ie.

My old manager Dani from Clothing Store #3 emailed me back on Facebook. I told her that I applied to the locations at Kingsway, but she said that she's on stress leave and can't hire me back. Maybe the person who's doing her job will hire me back. Anyway, the thing is I'm looking for a job to meet new people and get new experience. However, I am meeting new people with all these new workers coming and going.

When Lisa said that she was leaving, I thought I had jinxed it. I had written in an earlier email that: "I don't want to jinx it, but I see Lisa, Beatrice, and Jennifer lasting here a long time." L's been here for 2 weeks, but she was a big help to us.

Oct. 16 Resume: Here's some proof that the revised resume is good; I got a call from Statistics Canada today. I emailed them my resume awhile ago. I am to go to this building to do the test. I'm getting a flashback of summer 2007. I got to the building and I did the test which consisted of Math 30 type questions. There were calculators provided, but at least they weren't graphing calculators.

I went there and didn't study because I didn't know what was on the test. During the test I got hungry. I didn't get the required mark of 20/30 questions. I thought I was hired at Call Centre #3 when I wasn't. I'm going to give this test a good shot. The first time I managed to get that appointment to do the test was not because of my old resume that I emailed them. It was through the staffing agency Spherion that set up that appointment.

Well now I'm kind of getting a bad feeling. They said that I need to be able to work on Sunday from 3pm-10:30pm. They need me to work in the evenings from 3:30pm-11pm. I did voice my concerns that I don't want to take the bus that late at night and the woman said that if I can't work during that time, than I can't get the job. I said I'll give it a shot.

Here's another bad flashback, I said in the Clothing Store #2 interview that I was willing to work late. Well I had to close and the store closed at 9pm. It took until 11pm to clean everything, by the time I got home it was midnight. When I was working at Roots at West Ed, it took us 45 min. to clean and I was able to catch the bus at 10pm and get home at 11pm.

I'm supposed to do the test on Oct.21. I will have to leave work 2hrs early so that's about $20 I won't be making if I go and do this test. $20 is what I have to lose. If I do get hired I will get paid $13/hr. If any of you guys are interested, apply to Statistics Canada. Maybe I should cancel this test because I know I won't do well on it, and if I did do well and get the job, I don't really want to stay out that late to work for them.

Oct. 17: This test contains Math 20 questions. The lesson is that what you learn in school, you do use in real life. What am I supposed to do? Cheat? The people who were there when I first took the test in 2007, I didn't know anyone. Am I supposed to look at someone and figure out if they are smart or not and cheat off them?

I may look smart because I'm Asian and wear glasses. I also did have the behaviour of a smart student because I was quiet in class. However, my grades weren't great. I never got honours. I got merit once in gr.10 when I was in all the low classes. I got merit once in gr. 12 when I only had 4 classes.

Anyway, the situation could be I cheat, and then I get the job and then quit pretty soon afterwards because I don't like staying out really late to go to work. Or it could be a really bad job and I don't like working there. The second situation is that I don't cheat, and don't get the required mark and don't get the job. I might as well not go there altogether. I did get proof that the revised resume really is good if it got the attention of Statistics Canada.
I emailed Stats with my old resume back in 2007, and didn't even get a call from them.

Wild: Here's a wild idea: I'll apply to cell phone places though I don't have a cell phone. Maybe I could get a free one, or at least a cheap one. Irony. Anyway, it will be something different that I'm doing. I'm not applying to the same places all the time because I have never applied to those cell phone places before.

City Centre: Where It's Art closed down, but this Heroes clothing store replaced it. There is a Custom Framings store that opens where the $1 Store Plus used to be at. It's like Where It's Art. I was at Kingsway and I see that the store Rafters is like Art.


No comments: