Tuesday, October 14, 2008

news/ job search/ music

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2008

news/ job search/ music

Oct. 11 News: I was reading the Globe and Mail today and back in 1991, 1 in 5 people ages 20-24, didn't have a high school diploma. Now it's 1 in 10. That's great news, we are getting smarter, or at least valuing education more.

Job search: I went to the Second Cup in City Centre and Stanley A. Milner library. I asked for a job application and they said they only deal with resumes. In the job- hopper summer 2007, I went to the Second Cup in Capilano, and I filled out an application. I could go there and see if only that location only has a job application.

As usual my life revolves around TV, and I realized that Jack from the cartoon Odd Job Jack works for a staffing agency. I always say: "Staffing agencies are bad." However, this is a fictional show and he is supposed to do all these different jobs every week to make episodes.

While I'm at it, in the summer when my parents told me to look for a job at a bank, I asked if I can work at Money Mart. My dad said that's not a real bank. Earlier this week, Patrick and I were watching the new TV show called Easy Money. A family works at a place like Money Mart and they make a lot of money. The interest and fees on the loans are like 75% of the actual loan. Stay away from places like Money Mart.

Looks like I dodged another bullet by not applying there. That job seems so unethical. I would feel guilty working there like if I was working at a staffing agency. Sheesh, even watching the show makes me feel kind of guilty. I'm sensitive and I'm taking it to personal. I must remind myself I am not the characters and I don't work there. lol.

Oct. 12 Blog: I was reading The Journal and there was something about a blog- turn- to- novel. I must keep this blog going.

Writing: I was writing about The Fighter, and then I decided to use some stuff from the script about Corrine working for an unethical company. I kept the Corrine script intact. In Fighter, it does discuss about how the lead character deals with the lack of ethics in his job. I still don't know what Corrine's company does. It's not a staffing agency, Money Mart, or a tobacco company. There are always stories about businesses embezzling money, but I am hitting writer's block.

Today I applied to several stores at Kingsway. I applied to Le Chateau, Le Chateau Men, the Gap, and American Eagle Outfitters and written the job applications. I even applied to McDonald's at City Centre. I was waiting in line and I had this uneasy feeling. Maybe because it's the first time I have ever applied there before. I applied to many stores multiple times at City Centre and this would be my 3rd time I'm doing a job search at Kingsway.

I filled out an application there. I read this sign outside McDonald's in Capilano that the starting wage is $11/hr. Though I have heard that it's not a really good place to work at. I was working at Treats, and my manager Aziz used to work at Wendy's as the manager. This teenage guy gets paid there $7.50/hr. He gets hired at McDonald's and the starting wage was $9.50/hr. I'm guessing this occurred back in 2005 or 2006 since I worked at Treats in 2007.

The guy quits, and then comes crawling back to Aziz because McDonald's makes you work really hard. A says he's more relaxed with his job. A didn't hire him back. Well I'm sure that guy can get another job.

Good news: I emailed my friend Michelle if she got a job at a bank. She was the one who asked for advice because she was looking for a job at one. I gave her my advice, which I did email to all of you. She got a job at a bank 3 weeks ago, and starts training next week. Crantastic. I'm sure she had a good resume, and did well on the job interview, but I feel like I did help her.

Oct. 13 Fun: Today is Thanksgiving and I worked from 12pm-5pm. Well at least I only worked 5hrs instead of 8hrs because it's a holiday. The highlight of the day was that I bumped into my old classmate Melina. She was out with her husband Jonathan and their 2 kids, Errol (3) and Lauren (2). Errol was pretty cute. He lifts up his 3 fingers to show hold old he was. I also met Jonathan's mom.

Here's another thing: I always say I'm trying to cut down on TV. Well here's some proof. I didn't watch any Making the Band 4 season 3 at all. I've seen the entire first season of 8 episodes. When I was in school earlier this year, I did watch 3 episodes, but it was a marathon. The TV was on in the background, and I was on the computer so I wasn't really watching it. I did watch a few more episodes on Saturday nights, but that was after I did my work.

At dinner, my dad told me that some store from Kingsway mall called me. They didn't leave a message. I'm still viable. Yesterday when I applied to Coles at Kingsway, the saleswoman gave me this website address for me to go to. She says I have to take this test before I am can get an interview. The saleswoman at Coles in City Centre didn't give me one of these. Here's the site address: https:gx.gallup.com/indigocersri.gx

I've always wanted to work at a bookstore, maybe my dream will finally come true. I remember back in 2006 I applied to Chapters at West Ed and did a job interview there, but didn't get hired. They were paying $7.80/hr and I was willing to work there instead of Grand and Toy at City Centre for $7.90/hr. Alas, I worked at G&T.

City Centre: Lots of things are changing at City Centre. Sbarro opened where Pasta Deli once was. The new store Possi opened where Uniquewear once was. Where it's Art store is closing down. Their store sign is already removed. There is a new Koodo kiosk upstairs.

Kingsway: There is also a new Koodo kiosk there. The guest services is moved right by the food court. I applied to Clothing Store #3 there. I emailed my old manager Dani that I applied there yesterday. Maybe she will hire me back.

Resume: I'm thinking about the revised resume that Angela made for me. I managed to get one good job with it, the bank. I know I got attention from Starbucks because of my job application. I passed out 17 of that revised resume to 17 stores at Kingsway. That resume helped me get attention to getting hired at one Kingsway store.

My sister had helped me with my resume when I first started trying to find work at 18 yrs old. I got 13 jobs in 5 yrs with that resume and after each job, I added it onto my resume. I didn't put the 5 jobs from summer 2007. The question is: How many jobs can I get with Angela's revised resume?

Oct. 14 Music: I love this new song and video by New Kids on the Block featuring Ne- Yo. It's called "Single." Joey McIntyre looks good in this video. I will say that Jordan Knight was my favorite and I actually bought his old solo cd off the internet four years ago. I love his song "Give it to you." The dancing was really good in that video. I was impressed that a 30yr old guy could dance this good.

I was really impressed with the dancing and am still now. I even remember watching the MTV music video awards back in 1999 and this was nominated as a good dance video. It didn't win, and it went to Ricky Martin's "Livin La Vida Loca." RM's dancing was fine, but he wasn't doing the complicated dance moves like the dancers were. JK was doing the complicated moves with his dancers.

New Kids on the Block "Single":
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=Xw8RBL5_auk&feature=related

Jordan Knight "Give it to you":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyhwEG2Pd5M&feature=related

I also voted today.

No comments: