Thursday, December 10, 2015

Why I’m taking action for Zunar, a fellow artist

Why I'm taking action
for Zunar
 

Dear Tracy,

All my life I have used my art to fight for social justice. So when I see freedom of expression under serious attack, I must act.

That is why I stand with Amnesty International today in demanding justice for courageous Malaysian cartoonist Zunar, who is facing decades in prison for political Tweets he sent in February.

Join me. Urge the Malaysian government to immediately drop the charges against Zunar.

Zunar is one of 12 urgent human rights cases highlighted in Amnesty's 2015 Write for Rights campaign, the biggest human rights event in the world.

Zunar's case is about much more than Tweets. It's about a government that is systematically and harshly stifling criticism.

He's been harassed for years. No newspaper dares to publish his work for fear of government retribution. Authorities raided his home and three printing firms that had previously published his work. All 18 of his books are banned.

Don't let this brave voice be silenced. Join me in defending Zunar's right to free speech.

Zunar is not the only one. In the first six months of 2015, more than 40 journalists, academics, political activists and lawyers were interrogated, arrested or charged under similar attacks on free speech.

Artists risk so much...they need to know that others like you will rise to their defense when tyranny strikes.

I am proud to lend Zunar my voice today.

I hope that you will lend him yours.


In peace,



Harry Belafonte
Artist, Activist

No comments: