Sunday, July 7, 2013

productive/ staying motivated/ WOW tip

Jun. 18 Productive: Yesterday I spent 5hr and 35min looking for a job and researching companies on the internet.

Today was very productive.  I woke up early and my grandma told me that I had to wash my bedroom window, and change my bed sheets.  I did that.  I then went on the computer to send my weekly email/ blog post.

Then she told to me sweep upstairs and the basement so she could mop upstairs.  I swept.  Then I vacuumed upstairs and downstairs.  In the afternoon I picked up my new glasses.

Hiring process: From Hire Ground, there's an article called: "Why is the hiring process so long?" by Briana.  It describes especially about big companies that make temporary holds when they reorganize employees, and find it hard to schedule interviews in busy schedules.

http://www.hiregroundsoftware.com/blog/job-seekers/why-is-the-hiring-process-so-long/

Staying organized:
Here's another article about "Staying organized: Keep Track of Applications."  I write down all the places I applied to and some info about it like "Downtown.  Take these 2 buses.  Job posting #: ...."

The writer Briana says create a spreadsheet with info:

  1. Date you applied
  2. Company name
  3. Job title
  4. Contact information if available
  5. What kind of response you received
  6. Any other notes

http://www.hiregroundsoftware.com/blog/job-seekers/staying-organized-keep-track-of-applications/

Email your resume:
It mentions about when emailing your resume, the email should introduce yourself in a professional manner.  I know, I have it in a few sentences where I introduce myself and say here's my resume for this position that I found on this website.

http://www.hiregroundsoftware.com/blog/job-seekers/what-to-write-when-e-mailing-your-resume/

Jun. 19 Service Canada: Today was different.  I went to Service Canada to research employment programs for youth.  There are programs for ages 15-30yrs old.

I also asked them about this ad in the Edmonton Journal called www.acti.org.  Service Canada says they don't put ads in the paper and they don't know what that website is or if it's legit.  They are a federal govt.  Acti is funded by the provincial govt.

Acti.org: I looked for it on my blog, because I feel like I've been to this website before.  It turns out I did write about it back in Jun. 2010:

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2010/06/blog-jw-research-rookie-blue.html

It stands for Anderson Career Training Institute.  It's run by Alberta Human Services.  I showed it to my dad and he asked: "What kind of business are you going to start?" 

Me: A jewelry business?
Dad: Are you going to make the jewelery? 
Me: I don't know.  A communications business.

Interview questions: I was going through my email and I found a Job Seeker newsletter from Aug. 2012.  It was short and in email, and not on the website.  They usually put a link to it on the newsletter/ email, but here's an excerpt:

They can't ask about race, religion, sexual orientation, if you're single, have kids, plan to have kids, disabilities or if you've been arrested.  They will do a background check on you.

"Interview questions should only be relevant to the job, your skills and work experience. If you think a question is inappropriate and are uncomfortable answering it, consider the reason behind the question. Instead of directly answering if you are single or not, say ‘Are you asking because there may be long hours or some travel involved? If so, I am willing to work outside of regular working hours when needed.’"

Volunteering: The other article talks about the benefits of it like: Networking, work experience, something to put on your resume, and it can help you keep a positive attitude when you're unemployed.

Here's a newsletter from July 2012.

Infographic: Here's an infographic about how employers are using social media to find employees.  Most of them use Linked In, and then Facebook and Twitter.

http://www.hiregroundsoftware.com/blog/technology/job-searching-with-social-media-infographic/

7 interview tips: They were basically some technical things like be on time and prove your merit by talking about your experience.  It mentions soft skills like be polite and show your social side.

http://www.hiregroundsoftware.com/blog/job-seekers/7-interview-tips/

Staying motivated: This is about being mindful and positive.

1. Realize that YOU are in control.
2. Neutralize your negative triggers.
3. Detoxify your media consumption.
4. Avoid negative people.
5. Adopt a positive vocabulary.

http://www.hiregroundsoftware.com/blog/hr-blogs/5-ways-to-stay-motivated-at-work/
WOW tip: I got this from Career Options magazine: "Order resume content in 'Order of WOW': Put the best and most relevant points at the beginning of resume, beginning of each section, beginning of each experience."

Another tip was to show accomplishments in numbers or percentages when possible.  There is tangible measurement.  Instead of "increase sales within 3 months", be more specific like increase sales by 20% within 3 months.

Jun. 20 Job interview: I did a job interview today and I haven't done one in months.  I Google map it and could find the place.  It was a winding road.  Then what threw me off was that there was a fork in the road where I could take one of two paths.  I took the one on the right.  After a bit of walking, I was like: "Am I going in the wrong direction?"  I see a business man smoking a cigarette and I asked for directions. 

He went into his office to look up the address while I waited outside and called the office.  After a few min. the businessman came downstairs and told me that I need to keep going and turn left.  I thanked him.

Then I got to the interview and I was a little flustered.  The boss seemed nice and professional.  He told me a bit about the company, the hours, and what the duties are.  I asked what the duties are and what computer programs they use. 

I think the interview was average.  I stumbled a bit on an answer.  I thought my questions were good.

Transportation:
I took 2 buses to get there.  I then had to walk 10min. to it and there weren't really any sidewalks.  There were a lot of parking lots and cement to walk on.  I took the #8 to get there.  I could have taken the #80 to get there and walk 4min.  #8 is runs more frequent and I am more familiar with it so I took it.  If it's the winter time and I can't walk in snow much, I will take the #80.

The Office: Once again I'm watching The Office and it reminded me of a real life work situation.  The episode was called "Business Ethics" and the meeting was to teach the workers about it.  Holly reads from the book: "A sick day is when you are sick and can't do your work and can get other workers sick.  A personal day is different because it is more flexible." 

I was thinking about the worker at the Soup place who kept missing Mon. and Tues.  It was like she had unlimited amount of personal days.  This is a mom-pop small business, and not some big company where you are entitled to have some personal days. 

I have mentioned before about how there are some things about people you don't want to know like she could be on her period or some other bodily function she doesn't want to discuss and I don't want know.

The Listener: Yesterday I was watching this show and the ep was called "Cold Storage."  The subplot was Oz is now a manager at the hospital and this paramedic Perry took an 1hr break.  Then he is sleeping on the couch.  Oz thinks he's slacking off because he and Oz are friends and Oz is going to write him up.

Oz then asks what's wrong?  Perry says his wife got laid off and now he's working as a paramedic and as a baker on the side for 6hr shifts.  He hardly sleeps and he has to work to pay the mortgage. 

Oz then gets all the paramedics to chip in $100 to help pay the mortgage.  Perry is also given first priority to get overtime.

No comments: