Sunday, July 21, 2013

job interview/ telemarketer/ million dollar idea

Jul. 2 Job interview: I went to a job interview today and the two interviewers were good.  They asked me questions where they really wanted to get to know me.  They asked about my schooling and why I am interested in this field.  I think my answers were good because I did talk about taking psychology in school and why I'm interested in it.

The con was I don't think I impressed them.  Yeah, well at least I arrived on time (15 min. early) and I found the place easily.

Jul. 3 Social media: I found this Job Boom article about making a career out of social media like a social media consultant.

"To earn a certificate in social media, students must complete four compulsory courses: social media marketing; community management; Facebook marketing; and social media metrics, analytics and management tools."

http://career.jobboom.com/headlines-torontosun/2013/03/12/20649471.html

Jul. 6 Telemarketer: I was reading a Globe and Mail essay called "Telemarketing was my salvation" by Natalie Willett.  She was a counselor at a group home for high-risk youth, and then she got laid off.  She had 2 degrees so she applied at a women's shelter and a language school.  After months of being unemployed she was desperate to get a job, and not a career.

She went on Craigslist and applied to be a telemarketer and said: "I wasn't sure my ego could handle the blow" if she didn't get hired here.  I would tell her: "You never know until you try."  She got hired and it turns out she was actually good at selling newspaper subscriptions over the phone.  There's a weekly paycheck and an instant cash bonus, she gets $5 for a weekend subscription and $10 for a weekly one.

She then got an email from a women's health organization she once worked for.  They said she could work there for a few months.  "The pay worked out a little less than the call centre.  Still it was a respectable 9-to-5 job."

She said goodbye to her telemarketer friends and took the job fundraising for the women's organization.  She says goodbye to her telemarketer manager: " 'I hate to lose you,' he said, 'You're a natural.  Give me a call if you ever need a job again, even if it's just temporary.'  It was the greatest assurance of job security I've ever had." 

My opinion: Wow, that's so good that she could sell newspaper subscriptions over the phone.  I've tried to sell theatre tickets over the phone, and didn't sell any.

Telemarketer #1: 4hrs x 4 days= 16hrs
Telemarketer #2: 4hrs x 4 days= 16hrs

I worked 32 hrs trying to sell tickets, and I didn't.  Last month I saw that #1 was hiring again, and
I was like: "No.  So I can work for 16hrs x $9.50= $152.  Take off some money for CPP and EI, and it's like $130.  I'm probably not going to sell anything and get dismissed.  I can get some money."  This is take it or leave it kind of job.

Jul. 10 Investments: It was my day off and my dad and I finally went to the bank to get some investments and sign some papers.  After that I returned a book to the library and did another errand.

Lost Dollars:
Ginny Grimsely sent me this article called "Find Lost Dollars" about how "architectural, engineering and environmental firms she works for easily lose $100,000 each year through inefficient and ineffective practices."  It's because people are more creative and not very business- oriented.


http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/07/article-find-lost-dollars.html

Travelocity and sports: Ginny also sent me this article about “'In baseball, you can fail 70 percent of the time and still be considered a strong player,'  says Terry Jones, founder of Travelocity.com and founding CEO of its competitor, Kayak.com."  It mentions the saying: "Kill the project, not the person."

It's really about learning from failures, and there are a lot of successful ball players like Babe Ruth who had more strike- outs than home-runs. It says: "(Note: If the same people keep making the same mistakes, arrange for training, counseling or, if that fails, a bus ticket out of town.)"  I believe employers should give new employees ample chance and time to prove themselves.  It could be nervousness on the first day and they're still getting the hang of things.  Unlike Call Centre #4 and Juice Place #2 that dismissed me after one day.  I really felt they should have given me more of a chance, but you can't always get what you want.

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/07/article-travelocity-and-sports.html

Trend Among Leading Businesses: I got this from Ginny.  It's more about work-life balance.  Gary Kunath wrote a book called Life...Don't Miss It.  I like the title.  It's getting out of the rat race and focusing on things that really matter like family, friends, and your own happiness.

" Money doesn’t make you rich; Express gratitude to others; the power of perspective; relationship refinement (thinning the herd); and Good goes around. 'All of these points go to the overall perspective of total life balance and focusing on the areas, and the people, that really matter,' he says."

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/07/article-trend-among-leading-businesses.html

Jul. 12 Your online presence: Ginny sent me this article about how after you die, you need someone to manage your accounts.  Write down all your accounts and passwords and put it in a secure place.  Appoint a digital executor.  You should write a will, especially if you have kids.  If you are to close an account, and the person is dead, then you have to send the company a death certificate to prove the person is dead. 

That reminds me of The Simpsons where Homer fakes his death and the electricity got cut off because it was under his name.

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/07/article-your-online-prescence.html

Jul. 17 Productive: Today was my day off and it was productive.  In the morning my grandma asked me to vacuum the house, and I did.  In the afternoon, I went and applied for a job.  It's a temporary job.  I filled out an application and had to do a test.  There was a little math involved and you can't really study for it.

I did other errands like deposit a check and stopped by to ask a question at this office.  I also got 5 email requests to remove links that I had put up.  I then went through my blog to delete them.

Jul. 18 Million dollar idea: I found this on Yahoo "How a Coffee Lid Turned into a Million Dollar Idea."  Joshua Resnikoff was drinking coffee from these glass jars, and there weren't any lids for it so he can sip through it.  Then he made one.  Simple enough.

Here's a comment:

Winklebottom: Reminds me of a woman work who drinks out of an old Smuckers jam jar with a couple of holes punched in the top. Every time I see her drink out of it I hear banjos. Maybe I'll buy her one of these!

Me: lol.  That reminds me of 2004.  I saw this guy on the bus drink coffee from a plastic peanut butter jar.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/coffee-lid-turned-million-dollar-173000826.html

Call Centre #5:
I have written about how I worked there for 2 days and was dismissed because I didn't get enough money donated to these charities.  I worked there for 10 hrs and I got like $75 in donations.  That is actually pretty good compared to Telemarketer #1 and Telemarketer #2 jobs where I didn't sell anything.



No comments: