Sunday, July 14, 2013

big companies/ renovations/ buying home tip

Jun. 22 Big companies:

Chevron: I was going through the Career Options magazine and I found this company.  There is a location in Edmonton in the West End.  This is a really big company with all kinds of departments like business, environment, legal, etc. 
http://www.chevron.ca/careers/

Brenntag: Have you ever heard of this company before?  I haven't.  It's an international company with locations in AB, Canada, Asia, etc.  This distribute chemicals. 
http://www.brenntag.ca/en/

Cangene: They are a lab that fights infectious diseases.  It's in Winnipeg.  I've never heard of them. 
http://www.cangene.com/careers

Aegon Canada:
This is an insurance and pension company.  It's on the
west end of Edmonton.

http://www.aegoncanada.com/

Rio Tinto: This is an international company and they provide mining and mineral resources.

http://www.riotinto.com/our-business-75.aspx#canada

Proctor and Gamble: This is a huge company because they make so much stuff that we buy and use everyday like food, detergent, etc.  There weren't any locations in Edmonton.

http://www.pg.com/en_CA/brands.shtml

Jun. 24 Tile Town: I was looking for a job and found this store.  The website is good with nice pictures of all their tiles on their rooms.  I thought the mascot was funny.  It's a tile named Tyler.  lol.

http://www.mytiletown.ca/

Certa Pro Painters:
I find this company and Google "Is Certa Pro Painters a scam?" and it lead me to this website with lots of consumer complaints.


http://certa-pro-painters-reviews.measuredup.com/2978/Reviews/Consumer-Complaint-1

Switchboard: I see that the switchboard job that I worked at back in 2012 is hiring again.  I did training and job shadow for a day, and I really thought about it.  It wasn't a really good job because I see that there was so much training, and the skills weren't very transferable.  It's about answering phones professionally, but there wasn't really good job security.  So I didn't take it.

It may not be a good fit for me, but someone may be reading this and think that's the job for them.

Telemarketer: I also see that Telemarketer #1 is hiring again.  I don't see any point in applying because I gave it my 100% best shot at this job for 4 days and didn't sell anything.  I then did Telemarketer #2 job and gave my best effort and didn't sell anything. 

Jun. 26 Renovations: I was thinking about how renovations are really expensive, time consuming, and usually not necessary.  It leads people to a lot of debt.  It's too much of a hassle.  It's probably because I read the business and homes section in the newspaper a lot.  In the business section, there are couples and families who ask for advice like: "Should we put more into retirement or can we afford to renovate?"

Then of course the home section in the newspaper talks about renovating and decorating.

Businesses:
If you are to renovate for a business, it can be helpful to make the business run more efficiently.  For example, the Bebe store in West Edmonton mall was big, and then it renovated to make it half the size.  I think it was good to make it half the size to utilize the space more, and it's cheaper to run in the long term because of less electricity is being used, and there may even be less rent to pay because it's smaller.  I don't know about the rent.

Homes: I remember watching Oprah years ago and this woman wants her kitchen to be renovated because it's so small.  She doesn't even have to get up to clear the table because she is sitting right by the sink.  It was really small, and in this case, I think she should.

Basement: In my experience, my family renovated the basement in the mid- 90s.  My friends have never seen my basement before it was renovated.  Back then there were all these boxes in where the home office section is.  The boxes of stuff belonged to a family friend.  The entire basement had concrete floors, and now only the laundry room does.

I asked my dad how much it costs to put purple carpets and a white linoleum floor in the basement, and he said it was like $20,000.  We needed to renovate the basement so we can all have our own
bedrooms and live comfortably.  We're not renovating for fun and because we're bored or don't like how the house looks like.  After the basement was renovated, that was it.  We didn't renovate anything else.

I met a woman a month ago and she told me she renovated her basement like I did.  However, she spent $65,000 for a kitchen, nice granite counters, heated wooden floors, etc.  She rents the basement out and she says it pays for itself.  I would say the same for my own basement.

Buying home tip: I was reading Ramit Sethi's book I Will Teach You to be Rich and he says buying a home is not an investment.  He says how he met people, and the first thing they want to buy is a home.  Like if you have a lot of debt and student loans that you have to pay off, you should pay that off first before buying a home.

I would say the same thing because don't buy a home, unless you 100% have to like you are living with a big family and need the space.  This reminds me of that time I went on a date a few years ago and met a guy who said he plans to buy a house.

Me: Well why would you buy a house if it's only for 1 person to live there?
Guy: It's not just for me, but if I were to have a family then we would need the space.

(Afterwards we never saw each other again because he really wanted to have kids and I didn't.)

After you buy a house to raise your kids, you will have to retire and then downsize to a condo.  It's the cycle of life.

Job interview: Today I went to a job interview.  I researched the company before I went.  I got there on time and it was a little difficult to find.  Two people interviewed me.  I know what the company does.  However, it seemed like a hard job.  They were looking for a graphic designer and I did take graphic design at NAIT.  I told them the programs I used like Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, and Corel Draw.

They need to convert a JPG and have it redrawn.  Like redraw it on Corel and blow it up 100 times to make it bigger, and the picture will still be clear and not all blurry with pixels.  They said they didn't have any other graphic designers to train me, and need one right away.  So I didn't get hired.  That's fine, because now I know for sure that this job is not for me.

Be fast: I applied for a job on Mon.  On Mon. afternoon I got an email to do an interview on Wed. evening.  I checked that email on Wed. morning. and emailed them back to set up a time.  They emailed me back in the afternoon and they said they made a decision yesterday.  They will keep my resume on file.

I didn't check my email on Tues. because I was busy working and had to stay later than usual at the restaurant.  When I came home I was tired.  Even if I did check my email on Tues. and set up an interview to go there that night or Wed. night, I may not have even been hired.  That's okay.

1 comment:

lcrenovation said...

That is a very good tip primarily to those fresh to the blogosphere. Short but very precise info. Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article!
Renovations in Kennington