Tuesday, July 23, 2013

not my intention/ flashbacks

Jul. 17 Not my intention: I was thinking about that time I accidentally offended my friend with this light joke.  It was not my intention.  The only time I tried to be funny and annoying is to my sister and not my friends or other people.

Flashbacks:

Funny: Like back when I was 13 and my sister was 15. 

Cut to S reading a magazine and Tracy is standing by and playing with a stuffed
panda bear. 
Tracy puts her thumb on the panda bear's nose so it looks like it's giving an angry and
dirty look to S.
A few moments pass as the panda gives S a dirty look.
S snatches the panda right out of Tracy's hand.
Tracy: Hey!

You will either think: "That's so cute and funny with a panda bear giving a dirty look." 

Or: "That is so annoying.  If I was trying to read or concentrate on a task and someone is trying to
be funny like that, I would snatch that toy out of your hand too!"

I have to remember that a lot of people say and do things that annoy me and others, but it is often not their intention.

Smoking: Here's another one.  I mentioned in gr. 9 I went to a party.  Friend #1 was smoking a cigarette and Friend #2 was crying about it and saying: "She promised me she wouldn't smoke anymore and now here she is smoking."  A girl did try to comfort Friend #2 by saying:  "She's just trying to be cool" and it's not like she's smoking to hurt you.  I really doubt Friend #1 was smoking a cigarette and thinking: "What
is a really good way to get at my friend?  I'll smoke a cigarette and get her so upset and crying."

I was there and thinking she was trying to be cool.  It was not her intention to make her friend cry.

Jul. 18 Teachers: I was thinking about that time Leslie ranted to me that Dr. Tranter gave her a flag with a wrinkle in it.  Leslie thought the teacher intentionally gave her the damaged flag because she didn't like Leslie.  See, I don't know.  I wasn't there.  I do think the teacher subconsciously played favorites by giving her damaged flag.  Is this a real or imagined slight? 

There is no video footage where it can be shown to anybody and we can look at it.  So that's one of things we'll never know for sure.


Religion:
It's like that time Erin asked Miss. Johnston in front of the entire class to find out who the girl in a religion that doesn't allow her to talk to boys is.  Miss. Johnston scowled at her and said: "No, so you can tell you everybody that there is a girl in a religion that doesn't allow her to talk to boys is in this grade."

Erin's intention is to find the girl, and not to get Miss. Johnston or me angry. 

Counselors:
You know it's bad when you get Miss. Johnston who is also the guidance counselor angry.  I've been catching up on Degrassi: The Next Generation episodes I missed by watching it over the summer.  A student on the show died, so there are counselors talking to the students.  The counselors are calm and speak in a nice and gentle tone of voice.  I talked to my Counselor about all the things that get me angry, and she doesn't
get angry either.

I'm not trying to get her angry, but I guess I expect her to be angry like: "Oh yeah, I know what you mean."

Sensitive: I am more sensitive and aware after I accidentally offended my friend.  Earlier this week one of my friends told me she's dating a new guy.  I asked how they met and she said: "Promise you won't make fun of me?"  I guessed if it was the internet and I was right.  I didn't
laugh or make fun of her, and I told her I done online dating myself.

You can meet people in all sorts of places.  This leads to a flashback on how I made a friend in 2005 and I told my sister about it.

S: So how did you meet Robbie?
Me: It's Riley.
S: Fine, Riley.  High school, work?
Me: Bus.

Then I met my friend Neil while waiting for the bus in 2012.

Unintentionally funny: There are times when someone isn't trying to be funny, but we laugh at them.

Health class: It reminds me of gr. 9 health class.  Miss. Johnston was talking about volunteering and some kids raised their hands that they did.

Miss. Johnston: That's good.  Let's go around and tell us where you volunteered at.
Jeff: Uh, I volunteered at bible camp.
The entire class laughs at him.
Miss. Johnston shushes the class.
Miss. Johnston: So what did you do there?
Jeff: I made sandwiches.

No disrespect to Jeff, but that was kind of funny.  I don't know about you, but I was thinking about The Simpsons.  You know where they made fun of Rear Window and Bart thought Ned Flanders killed his wife Maude?

Maude: I went to to bible camp to learn how to be more judgmental.

Tyra Banks show:
Or this other time where this young black woman was on the Tyra Banks show.  She was like 18 or 19 yrs old and in college.  She wanted to come on the show so she can tell her mom and grandma the truth that she has been working as a stripper to pay for college.

Tyra: Where did you tell them you were working at?
Girl: I told them I worked at the public library.
Some of the audience laughs.
Girl: Yeah, well I like reading and writing so this job seemed to be a good fit for me.

No disrespect to this young woman, but that was kind of funny.  The library and strip club are like polar opposites.  If she said she was working as a waitress, it wouldn't be as funny.  Or this:

Tyra: Where did you tell them you were working at?
Girl: Starbucks.

I made that one up.  I think it's kind of funny if she said Starbucks.  However, still not as funny as the library.

I'm sure the girl knew Tyra was going to ask that question and the audience was going to laugh at her.  She wanted to go on the show to tell her mom and grandma about her real job, because she knew they can't exactly freak out and yell at her on national TV.  The mom and grandma
were calm about it.  The mom at first asked: "Are you married?" as a way to guess what her daughter was going to say.

Jul. 19 The Soup place: I have some rants here.  Co-worker #1 who keeps missing Mon. and Tues. and doesn't call.  She missed work, because she wanted to miss work.  Her intention is not like: "What is a good way to get Tracy angry, and the bosses, and my co-workers
angry?  I'll skip work and make them work harder when I'm gone."

Then there are the bosses who don't listen to my suggestion to hire an extra worker so we don't have to work as hard.  They don't hire.  It's not because their intention is: "What's a good way to annoy Tracy?  Don't listen to her and don't hire anyone."  I know they're thinking: "Why should
I hire another person and spend money on labor of $80/ day when the extra worker is not 100% necessary need it.  I'm a boss, but I'm working on the front lines too."

There's co-worker #2 who misses days here and there without calling.  He misses a Thurs. one week and a Mon. another week.  I know his intention is not: "What's a good way to get Tracy, my bosses, and my other co-workers angry at me?"

No comments: