Sunday, June 23, 2013

millennials/ living in a van/ Career Options magazine

Jun. 11 Millennials: I was reading a Job Boom newsletter emailed to me and the article was "Millennials+ managers= meltdown."  It's about the baby boomers and millennials are different and they work differently.   It said: "75% (of millennials) apply for other jobs within their first year on the job - ASTD".
Me: Stay at your job.  Don't job hop.  You only quit if you really hate it or there is a really good opportunity.  If you like your current job and it pays well, stay.

http://career.jobboom.com/headlines-torontosun/2013/05/08/20806471.html

Internet: The other article "The Internet needs freedom not regulation."  It was about the internet industry and businesses and not how regular people surf the net.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/05/10/the-internet-needs-freedom-not-regulation
 
Living in a van: I found this on Yahoo: "Duke Grad Student Secretly lived in a Van to Escape Loan Debt" by Mandi Woodruff.  It's about Ken Ilgunas who had $32,000 debt in college.  After he graduated studying History and English, he went to Alaska to work for $9 like cooking.  He had room and board provided, no stores close by, no cell phone, so all of his money went to his debt.  He was able to pay off like $18,000 in one yr.  Yeah, that sounds about right when you make $9/ hr full-time.
 
Afterwards, he went to Duke University to go to grad school.  He lived in his van with all his stuff there.  He had to hide it because Duke doesn't let people live in vans on their lots.  This had lots of pictures of how he ate, cooked, slept, got water from water fountain, studied in the library and recharged his cell phone there.
 
Me: Good for him.  I think we should all live cheaply like he does.  Not to the extent of in a van, but get rid of stuff you don't really need.  Spend on what you need. 
 
 
Here are some Yahoo comments:
 
Mr. A: I'd recommend this guy for Congress. He truly knows what responsibility and pride are all about.
Susan: Not too many young people like him. His parents should be proud. Outstanding!

Jun. 12 Save money: I found this 24 article on Nov. 6, 2012 called "Challenge yourself to live on thrifty side" by Mr. Money.  Seriously.  It mentioned a UN study that about half of the 6 billion people on Earth in 2006 lived on less than $2 a day. 

Here are some tips on how to save money:

Cash free day:  Try to not spend more than $2 in a day, pack a sandwich for lunch, use daylight and not turn on any lights.

Waste less: like adjust the pressure on your car to improve gas mileage.  Turn off all the lights when not using it, especially when going to bed.

Be aware: and asks "How much do you cost yourself daily?"  How much money do you spend in a single day on meals, work, etc.

Compartmentalize:
Split your paycheck into checking accounts, savings, RRSP instead of putting everything into one big bucket.

ROI of Social Media:
Ginny Grimsley sent me this article.  ROI stands for Return on Investment.  It's about how you to use social media to publicize your business.  It mentions how one tweet can then be retweeted.  Then it's read by someone's 130,000 followers, so you got lots of publicity.

I guess this could be used to publicize my blog.

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/06/article-roi-of-social-media.html

Jun. 13 Rant: I was thinking about that MADtv sketch of that Alias parody again.  You know where the professor says: "I will give you 9 more chances!"

I was thinking about that Soup place worker who always miss Mon. and Tues.  If she worked at my current restaurant job or anywhere else, she would have either not been scheduled for those days or been dismissed.  I've been dismissed after one shift like at Call Centre #4 for not getting enough completed surveys and Juice Place #2 for not being up to par.

It's not just me, I know someone who got dismissed from this sandwich shop she was working at because she couldn't find the eggs because no one told her where it was.  She worked there for a few days.  Then she got this bar job where she works Fri. and Sat. nights and then was dismissed shortly afterwards.  Something about how she didn't sign a letter that says she was really hired or something.  I don't know.

Most jobs don't always have a job offer letter to sign; it's mainly office jobs that give you a letter to sign about the official start date and pay.  At the Soup place, there was no job offer letter to sign. 

The thing is, there aren't many places that will give you a lot of chances.  After one shift, you could be done.  I will give points to Telemarketer #1 and #2 that they gave me 4 days to sell tickets then they dismissed me. 

Career Options magazine:
I have a Fall 2007 issue of this magazine that I got back in college.  It's a free 62 page magazine.  Articles about moving west, hiring people with disabilities, behavioral interviews, information sessions, and resumes.  There were tips that were common knowledge like spell check your resume, use a simple format.

There were a lot of job ads.  Some were for retail like HMV and the Source.  Then there are the big companies and careers I could look into.

http://www.careeroptionsmagazine.com/

Jun. 14 Shell.ca: In the magazine I found this ad for Shell.  I see there are 3 Shell gas stations in Edmonton.  I looked for careers, and there wasn't any.

Yellow pages:
There was job ad in the magazine for it.  I went to the website, and the only AB location was in Calgary.

Total E&P:
I found this ad for this company that I haven't heard of before.  It's in Calgary.  It's an oil and gas company.

Telvent: I found this ad, looked it up on the internet.  It turned to Schneider Electric.  They're energy production and usage.  I don't see any jobs in Edmonton.

Urban systems:
They hire engineers and architects.  They were also voted as Canada's Top 100 Employers 2007.

Leasing agent: I was looking at jobs and see this one for a leasing agent.  I Google the duties and got a Yahoo answer.  It was basically showing apartments, processing credit checks, etc.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070727110737AAOhmsa

Flashback: I remember back in 2010 "The Year of Unemployment", I was writing about my job search in my blog.  A couple of friends said I seemed kind of frustrated with my job search and that I should take a break.  Yeah, I know and I do take breaks.

Jun. 15: I was walking in Capilano mall and they're closing down for renovations.  Some moved to Bonnie Doon mall, and others aren't coming back.  I think of all the people who got laid off. 

I remember back in 1999 when the department store Eaton's closed down.  I didn't think about layoffs back then.  I was 14 yrs old.  I was thinking about the competition like Sears and the Bay which is still here.

No comments: