Sunday, June 9, 2013

Inspirational quotes (Part 14)



“Money comes and goes, you can get better jobs, worse jobs, good times, bad times, but the personality that develops through education, there’s no replacement for it.”- Muhammad Cheema, university bound student

“Thought for the day: When smart people aren’t smart enough:
A key behavioral trait that holds back smart people is their reluctance to accept an opportunity because they don’t think they’re ready for it.”-marcandangel.com

“Passion not always route to success: Dilbert creator Scott Adams says our views about the importance of passion are distorted because when things are working out in an entrepreneurial effort it’s natural to be passionate but when they aren’t, passion is drained.  So don’t accept that passion leads to success; it’s more complicated than that.”-Dilbert Blog.  The Globe and Mail, Mar.4, 2013

“This is my business card.  Although it is small, it carries with it a giant promise.  A promise to make things better.  Before, during, and after.  Because at Toyota, we believe that if we make improvements every day, even in the smallest ways, they will add up to great things.  And our customers will know the difference.  That’s why I will always strive to make things better.” –Toyota business card

“What are you doing to get better at what you do?” –Artpetty.com

“In this electric age we see ourselves being translated more and more into the form of information, moving toward the technology extension of consciousness.”-Marshall McLuhan (in 1964)

“A devoted reader, he wants to mirror the explorations of his favorite writers, explore different characters, different ideas and melodies, and for this he needs to jerk himself out of his perceived complacency.” – Edmonton Journal writer Tom Murray about singer Del Barber

“I have moments of inspiration where I write better, but I don’t want it to be a moment that I constantly look for.  It has to be work, and like playing an instrument if you want to be good at it you have to do it all the time.  It’s like woodworking, I want to treat songwriting that way, not as magical tradition that you have to get lucky at.  Why don’t we think of it as a trade, and step down from the throne?  Like a journalist, who writes day-to-day; that’s what I’m into at the moment.”- singer Del Barber

“For me, writing is exploration; and most of the time, I’m surprised where the journey takes me.” –Jack Dann

“The secret of becoming a writer is to write, write, and keep on writing.”-Ken MacLeod

“When you’re doing one thing, you don’t want to do the same thing again.  You’re always looking for the differences, and how it defines the last two years of your life and what could be the next two years of your life.  This is a project that had been percolating in my head for many, many years, in one form or another.” –Kevin Williamson, TV/movie writer and producer

“There is a new challenge to be found in writing self-contained stories that when put in sequence create a large narrative.  I just love the short-story form.  A novel and a short story are not in the same family.  The novel is a dramatic form, the short story a poetic one.  That’s not to say it doesn’t have a narrative- it does, it’s just the language that drives the story. “- Caroline Adderson, Canadian novelist and short story writer

“What she is aiming to do is to take these individual ‘poems’ and organize them in such a way that reach a climax.” –Russel Smith, Globe and Mail writer discuss about the Caroline Adderson quote

“I certainly grew up in a household where my parents decided that disability of any kind was not going to stand in the way of pursuing our dreams.  So that was the philosophy I grew up with.  And Jason’s got that in spades.  He inspires me.  When you think about all the things, small things, that (a physical disability) can prevent you from doing- and here he is being able to accomplish not only completing the film, but getting it into Sundance.  I’m in awe.” –Cari Green talking about Jason DaSilva.  Dasilva made his feature documentary When I Walk

“There is no reason why something true should be sloppily or boringly written.  Many writers seem to feel that they are ‘expressing themselves’ if they just get their feelings down on the page, both expressing yourself is not enough.” –Katie Roiphe on good confessional writing

“Read beyond what you want to write.  So if you want to romance…read science fiction, read classics.  If you aspire to be a literary writer… to be the next John Updike, read Harlequins.” –Yann Martel, Life of Pi author

“ ‘Look,’ each story seems to say.  ‘This is the kind of choices humans are face with all the time; and even if people usually have fine excuses for not making the right choice, here is what the right choice looks like.’”- Greg Hudson’s review of the book Tenth of December by George Saunders

“It’s about leaving your home and leaving what’s safe, trying to reach the home of your dreams; the way there can be very uncertain.  And you will never be the same person again when you move somewhere…You will be ever changed.” –Malin Dahlstrom of the Swedish pop duo Niki and the Dove

“I know what the theme of this movie is.  Don’t die before you’re dead.”- Billy Connolly

“Every day you get to paint on the canvas that is your life.” –Oprah Winfrey

“Why are you here?  You’re here because you’ve been called.  Even with our sadness and victories and trials.  Everything matters.  It does not matter how you got here.  It doesn’t matter if you were ignored, welcome.  If you are here sitting in a seat in Edmonton, if you are breathing, you’ve been called.  Brought from the ether, from your father’s seed.  Imaging all of them swimming, swimming.” –Oprah Winfrey at Edmonton’s Rexall Centre on Jan. 21, 2013

“The most important of my discoveries have been suggested to me by my failures.” –Sir H. Davy

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” –Albert Schweitzer (German-French medical missionary, 1875-1965)

“I do everything I can to disrupt my comfort zone.” –Brian Grazer, TV and movie producer

“This is not to say I don’t have my own passions, but spending time immersed in someone else’s was inspiring and fun and yes, interesting.  I felt engaged and creatively charged, and maybe even a little closer to eureka.” –Courtney Shea, Globe and Mail writer

“If I can’t bring you anything of value then it’s not worth doing.” –Jim Caruk

“In golf, just as in life… the best wagers are laid on oneself.” –Bill Murray 

“It keeps me focused and working hard and trying to do the right thing.  I don't want to let my guard down and feel to comfortable.  If you become complacent, you start feeling entitled.  I'm ready to go and dig ditches if I have to.  Whatever I gotta do to provide for my family.  Whatever I gotta do to make sure that I do the best possible job at whatever wonderful opportunities I've been handed.”  -Mark Wahlberg

“I feel like I'm unemployed right now.  I may try to squeeze something in beforehand.  I just have that mentality, strike while the iron's hot, because it could all be gone tomorrow.” -Mark Wahlberg

“I had to do some redeeming myself.  The bad guy who's trying to do something good is usually the one I root for.” -Mark Wahlberg

“We seek to heal the past, and to improve the future.  Our resolutions are signs of hope.  Our hopeful longing for transformation is an expression of spirituality.  It is this longing that goads us into making resolutions, and gives them meaning, even when we think we have failed.” –Louise McEwan, 

“It freaked me out.  I was afraid to let go.  But with great risk comes great reward.  We always wonder (when single), ‘Where is this person?  Oh my God, I’m lonely, what’s my future?’  But eventually you’ll meet somebody, and this time will be gone.  And you will kick yourself for not enjoying it.  For me, that year was a great investment.  It made me realize, I’m ready for something different.” –Drew Barrymore on her spiritual quest to India

“Anxiety is a driver for skill development, it’s a driver for adaptability.  If you’re anxious about your test, then, for crying out loud, go and study.” –Stanley Kutcher, a psychiatrist at Dalhousie Univeristy who specializes in anxiety among adolescents

“He (Stanley Kutcher) suggests that the lesson not being taught is that anxiety is a gift inherited from our ancestors to protect us from threat and to kick-start ambition.  To fight it, we have to face it.”- Erin Anderssen about the above quote

“Think about it: There is no experience you’ve had that you were not at the absolute center of.” -George Foster Wallace’s 2005 speech to the graduates of Kenyon College

"I love to learn to new things and meet new people. Languages and art are my passion, and expression is my tool. I believe communication is the link that every idea needs to be a success and that language can both divide and bring together the ever learning members of the human race," -Tevinn Richards, 19.  It’s from a Yahoo article where he learned Mandarin to escape poverty.


“Show me a hero, and I will write you a tragedy.”-F. Scott Fitzgerald

"A man must have a certain amount of intelligent ignorance to get anywhere."-Charles F. Kettering

“Successful people seek out their futures from the present; failures seek out their futures from the past.”-Li Ao, Taiwanese historian and politician (1935-)

“Millionaires don’t have astrologers.  Billionaires do.”- JP Morgan

-Leo horoscopes by Sally Brompton:

“You know what needs to be done and you know if you don’t make a start soon the chance to change your life for the better could pass you by.  You have plenty of time to do the things that matter- just stop doing the things that don’t!”

“There is nothing you cannot accomplish if you want it enough and if you put both your heart and your mind into making it happen.  What is your number one ambition?  Do whatever it takes to realize your dream.”

“Be assured that the efforts you make, both at home and at work, will pay off in the long-term.  It may seem as if you are putting yourself out for no gain but important changes are taking place behind the scenes.  Don’t worry- you’ll benefit.”

“Do you follow your heart and have fun?  Or do you follow your head and do what is expected of you?  Before you decide ask yourself this: What would you choose to do if you were not under pressure from other people?  So do it.”

“What’s done is done and cannot be undone, so stop wasting time thinking about ways you can turn back the clock.  You can’t.  Learn what you can from what went before and then move purposefully toward the future.” –(Nov.8, 2011)

“Make your plans and then make your move.  Others may fear the future but you intend to own it.”- (Dec. 4, 2012)

“Life is good and getting better by the moment, so why are you still focusing on things that went wrong while ignoring things that went right?  Whatever the reason, it’s time to get over it.  Stop regretting, start living.”- (Jan. 18, 2012)

"I feel like I'm a filmmaker; I don't feel I need to yell action and cut."John Cusack


“How you face adversity can either extinguish you or distinguish you.” –Gary Kunath

“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.”- Henry David Thoreau

“The bridges you cross before you come to them are over rivers that are not there.”-Gene Brown


“A good reputation is more valuable than money.”- fortune cookie

Headlines:

“Seeing opportunity amid a setback.”

“From poverty to prosperity.”

“Write to succeed.”

“Weapon is her mind.”

“Wake up and smell the money.”

“Invest in your life.
Control your investment.
Take charge of your future.”

“Every turn, fork or path seems to hold the promise of a hundred possible destinations.”

“A retreat to refresh and renew.”

No comments: