Tuesday, June 4, 2013

freegan/ fertility/ Cleveland hero

May 21 Freegan: I cut out this article "Frugal, foraging freegans the ultimate anti-consumers" by Liane Faulder in the Edmonton Journal on Nov. 10, 2012.  It profiled Patrick Sperling.  He's a 26 yr old NAIT student. who forages dumpsters outside grocery stores, drugstores and coffee shops for the past 3 yrs. 

"Freegans collect, share, and eat food that's been discarded."  The philosophy is to share and not take more than you need.

He also picks up hair care products from drug store garbage.  Lots of stores throw out sealed bags of chips so they can make room for new bags of chips.

U of A assistant professor Naomi Krogman: "Freeganism is part of a larger critique of over consumption.  People are increasingly realizing that the core problem with our environmental condition is that we are taking too much back out of the Earth, and putting too much back in that can't be processed, and is toxic.  A lot of the throughput in the system is highly wasteful."

"There are all kinds of people out there challenging this consumption problem.  They are doing it from high-up, by critiquing policy, or at a core lifestyle level.  I see freeganism as looking at the individual, and asking what one person can do to challenge the way we live."

A report from George Morris Centre in Ontario quotes from Statistics Canada: "172 kilograms of edible food per person, per year, is wasted at the retail and consumer levels, mostly comprising fresh and processed fruits and vegetables.  (That figure doesn't include bakery items, one of the highest sources of waste in retail and food service.)" 

Martin Gooch (director of the George Morris Centre): "Average retail food store wastes $2,300 worth of food each day."

The Centre's job is reduce waste and increase profitability.

"US Natural Resources Defence Council, which estimates that nearly 40 per cent of food in the States ends up in the garbage every year."

Some grocery stores like Sobeys and Safeway work with food banks.

Certified public health Carla Eskow says to be careful eating meat and dairy products in the garbage.  Winter is a safer time to forage for food because it's cold and refrigerates the food.  There could be needles and broken glass in the garbage.

My opinions: I'll eat sealed bags of chips, coffee, and other foods that are not opened.  I will use sealed hair products.  I mean you're not consuming the hair products.  I will have to examine it first. 

Tyra Banks show: This was years ago, but Tyra did a show about being cheap and saving money.  There were 4 young women talking about how they saved money and one of them was dumpster diving department stores.  She was able to find furniture like stools to furnish her home. 

Wasting food: I never waste food.  One time I left a sandwich in my fridge for 2 days.  My grandma threw it out.  I freaked out at her because it was in the fridge.  It was still good to eat.  It was bread with Nutella in it.  It can't go bad.  Whenever I see something that's going to expire soon, I eat it. 

In fact, I have mentioned before how I eat expired foods and I don't get sick.

Restaurants: When I was working at a cafe in summer 2007, Aziz made a lot of muffins.  Whenever there was extra food he would donate it to a charity.  He would also give me a lot of leftover food and I would eat it and bring it to my family.  Sometimes I would even give it to homeless people. 

One time I had this big plastic bag full of muffins and offered it to a homeless guy.  He took it.  It didn't really cost me anything.

Christmas shopping: Yeah, I know it's May, but I want to say this: "Don't buy Christmas gifts."  In my family we don't exchange gifts for Christmas, birthdays or any occasions.  That's how we save money and stress less.  I found this article "Christmas doesn't have to break the bank" by Joanne Richard in 24 newspaper on Dec. 11, 2012.  It talked to Kelly Kehn and she's an Edmonton-based speaker and author of 8 books.  Ask your family of the gifts you gotten each other last yr.

Kehn: "If you can't recall the gift within moments, it just shows you that all the stress, fuss, and expense was soon forgotten.  So should you really do the same this year?  Or pare down your lists (and) help others in need to put Christmas in context."

Kelley Kehn: Here is her website.  I see that she writes financial books, mainly aimed at women.  She has a collection of inspirational quotes.  You know I love those since you can read my collection of them on my blog.  Here's hers:

http://kelleykeehn.com/inspirationalquotesfunresources.html

Shopping tips: You may have read everything above, but you may still be like: "But I still like shopping."  Here are Kehn's tips from the article:

1. If it's not on sale,don't buy it.
2. Go to clipdeals.com or groupon.com
3. Negotiate.  Ask "What else can you do for me?" and remain silent.  They might give you something.
4. Use your customer loyalty by getting something for free if you sign onto a new contract for say a cell phone.
5. Don't buy gift cards, because some retailers go under and not a lot of people use them.

Me: I disagree with #5 because I use them.  Also please be mindful and if you know a retailer is going under, use the gift card.

6. Give cash and put it in something fun like a decorative box from a $1 store.
7. Go to eBay and local auctions.
8. Buy Christmas turkey from local farmers and markets.
9. Go to Kijiji and Craigslist, and second hand stores.
10. Re-gift.  Keep track of who gave you what and what it was.
11. Give the gift of personal service like baby-sitting, pet-sitting, or making cookies.

Lynette Khalfanie- Cox:
Also on 24 newspaper by Joanne Richard, she talks to Khalfanie-Cox.  She's been on Orpah, Dr. Phil, and Anderson Cooper.  She's really against debt.  Look at the shopping you've done and divide it between "must keep" and "I really shouldn't have" and returned those back to the store.

She has written a lot of books and has a website called:
http://askthemoneycoach.com/

333 payback strategy: Here is Khalfanie- Cox's tip:

"So let's say you charged $900.  That's $900 figure divided by 3 is $300.  So now you know that $300 is how much you have to pay each month to be rid of those credit card bills in 3 months."

If you can't, then pay at least 3 times the min. payments that your credit card company requires: "For example, if you owe $5000 in outstanding debt, your min. payment is likely between $100 and $150 a month.  Triple this."

If you can't: "Then time to slash for cash- this calls for offsets.  You've got to free up enough cash flow to allow you to triple your min. monthly payment.  Cancel that specialty TV package."

Fertility:
I was reading "Old- age parenting is a bad idea" by Margaret Wente in the Globe and Mail on Mar. 30, 2013.  A 36 yr old man has random genetic mutations in their sperm which is twice as many mutations as a 20 yr old.  Some experts believe that the mutations are "responsible for 20 -30% of all autism cases."

Older fathers are also more likely to have autistic grandchildren.  They are more likely to father kids with schizophernia and major depression.

Dolores Malaspina: "I kept meeting children of friends and acquaintances, all roughly my age, who had Asperger's, autism, obsessive- compulsive disorder, attention-deficit disorder, sensory- integration disorder."

A lot of people are putting off having kids until they are financially secured with a career and home.  How about adoption?

Cleveland hero: I found this on Yahoo news.  The man Charles Ramsey was eating a McDonald's burger and heard Amanda Berry screaming.  He went to help her.  He's a dishwasher at Hodges restaurant and they named a burger in his name.  He also gets free burgers for life.  lol.

Fireweed says: IT IS NOT THE APPEARANCE OF A MAN THAT MAKES A MAN !!
IT IS THE COURAGE IN THE MAN, THAT MAKES THE MAN !!
I'L SHAKE YOUR HAND ANY DAY BROTHER, AND '' EYE IZ WITE ''

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/cleveland-kidnap-hero-charles-ramsey-offered-free-burgers-174411792.html

No comments: