Thursday, May 2, 2013

Edmonton Business Talk/ recruiter/ new job poll

Apr. 12 Edmonton Business Talk: I found this free magazine in my room from Sept. 2011.  There are 16 pages of business articles.  It's produced by West Edmonton Business Association.  I read it cover to cover, and I think it had good writing because it was informative.

http://weba.org/news/posts/view/1300134199/1

Youth.gc.ca: I found this bookmark.  I checked if I wrote it on my blog, and no I didn't.  It's a really good website for youth who are unemployed, aboriginal, have disabilities, or newcomers.  There are lots of helpful tips on job search, job interviews, and resumes.

http://www.youth.gc.ca/eng/home.shtml

Unemployment: I found this 24 news article on May. 28, 2012.  It says: "Over 900,000 Canadian Youth not in school and not employed in 2011."  The ages are 15-29.

Out of the 904,000 youth out of the 6.8 million Canadians in those ages 15-29: 391,000 are looking for work and 513,000 are not looking for work.  The 5.9 million young people (87%) are in school and or work.  (From Statistics Canada.)

Recruiter: I found this Edmonton Journal article on Dec. 8, 2012 called "Headhunting calls on diverse talents" by Dee Hon.  It profiled Jared Shaw who is the recruiter at the international video-game development recruitment company, 31337 Recruiters, from Qualicum Beach, B.C.  He got into recruiting because he was working in an immigration and they needed new hires.

JS then calls some companies to see if there's anyone not happy with their jobs.  He finds his career interesting and fun.  He liked to match companies with employees.

They talked to Daryl Henry who is VP at Executrade.  A man from Columbia dropped off a signed letter of an offer.

DH: "And no word of a lie, he was in tears because we had honestly helped him.  That got me pretty passionate about it.  I'll never forget that story."

DH: "A recruiter really is an HR professional, psychologist, a consultant, a salesperson, a private investigator and a negotiator."

This job needs people skills.

They interviewed Heather Phelps and says recruits should get a certified personnel consultant certification through ACSESS, the Association of Canadian Search, Employment, and Staffing Services.  T Here are 5 core modules costing $172 each, and the certification test is $149.

Most recruiters build their skills and networks from another industry before they enter recruiting.

JS: "The reality of it is, I'll meet somebody, stay in contact with them for a year, sometimes two, before I even place them."

Staffing agencies: I then found my blog post called "health concerns/ staffing agencies/ Am I intense?"  There's a link about how staffing agencies suck.

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2012/08/health-concerns-staffing-agencies-am-i.html

This is the link I posted:

http://thinkinglola.blogspot.ca/2005/08/why-recruitment-agencies-suck.html

Last time I was on that blog, there were 64 comments in 2012.  I see there are now 78 comments.  You have to scroll down to the bottom to read the newest ones.

Apr. 17 Lessons: This is also from that counseling session.  My Counselor says: "This got you angry.  What is the lesson from it?"  Regarding Erin asking about what grade the girl who's in a religion that doesn't allow her to talk to boys.

1. Don't ask personal questions.

2. Does this affect your life?

This lesson is used for my work life.

The Soup place: This lesson is brought to the Soup place.  I've mentioned before about how I had this Co-worker #1 with really bad attendance.  She is constantly missing Mon. and Tues., and that has an effect on all the workers including me.  Like we all have to work a bit harder because she's not here.  That gets annoying.

Me: So where were you yesterday?
Co-worker #1: I needed a personal day.

I didn't ask anymore, because it's not really any of my business.  It does affect my life and the workers around me, but I'm not going to pressure her to tell me what it is.  This is her private life.  There are also some things that are just embarrassing.  Like she could say: "I was on my period" or "I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome."

One time, Co-worker #2 at the Soup place said to me why she missed work yesterday.  I heard from the manager she was sick and that was it.  Her attendance is fine, she only misses work once a month or once a couple of months.  It doesn't really have an effect on my work and the others. 

She said: "I was sick.  I had stuff coming out from both ends."  Too much information.  I heard that line before on Buffy.  Dawn told Principal Wood that Buffy isn't coming to work today because she was sick and said the "both ends" line.  lol.

There are some things you just don't want to know.

Apr. 19 Dental lab: There was that one day I did a job shadow at this dental lab last year.  I did ask the young woman who was training me why the other young woman was quitting.  She said: "Family issues."  I didn't ask anymore, because what I really wanted to know is if she is quitting because of the job itself or something unrelated.

If she was quitting when she didn't get a raise after 3 months, that's one thing.  But if she asks for a raise after 6 months, and she still didn't get one, then there is kind of a red flag here. 

New job poll: I found this article on Dec. 26, 2012 in the Globe and Mail.  Accountemps did a survey about what is the biggest challenge in a new job:

Employees:

49%- being skilled in new procedures and systems
23%- getting to know their new boss and co-workers
15%- fitting into the new corporate culture
7%-learning how to use new technology or tools was of top concern

Managers:

39% - being skilled in new procedures and systems
23%- getting to know their new boss and co-workers
14% -learning how to use new technology or tools was of top concern

The survey was made of 285 Canadian office workers and 342 senior managers with at least 20 employees.

Kathryn Bolt (Canadian president of Accountemps): "Newcomers can get off to a great start by quickly learning the organizational processes and 'unwritten rules' of communication in the office."

The tip is to clarify expectations, specify your goals and responsibilities and a timeline to follow with your new boss.  Get feedback to know if you're on track.

Apr. 20 Call centres: It was interesting today.  I was talking to this woman who works at the restaurant, but in another department.  She asked if I had another job, and I said I have one at a call centre.  She was surprised there were ones in Edmonton, because she thought they were all overseas.  There are a few in Edmonton. 

I met a young woman at a call centre, and she said she used to work for IBM a few years ago, and she got laid off when her job was outsourced.  However, IBM gave her and the others 6 months notice and a good severance package.

Outsourced: It's so common that all the call centres are outsourced, there was even a sitcom called Outsourced.  It used to play right after The Office.  I only saw a little bit of it, like part of one ep.  It's where this American guy's department is outsourced, so he goes to India and trains the workers to sound more American.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425326/?ref_=sr_1

No comments: