Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rehtaeh Parsons/ stop violence/ YWCA

Apr. 13 Rehtaeh Parsons: The hactivist group Anonymous managed to find the 4 boys who raped Rehtaeh Parsons and exposing their identities.  This was on Apr.11, 2013 of the 24 news. 
 
There is the Anonymous statement: "Our demands are simple: We want the N.S. RCMP to take immediate legal action against the individuals in question.  We do not approve of vigilante justice as the media claims.  What we want is justice.  And that's your job.  So do it."
 
RCMP have investigated the rape, but said there wasn't enough evidence for charges.  Rehtaeh's father Glen Canning says: "How is it possible for someone to leave a digital trail like that yet the RCMP don't have evidence of a crime?"
 
Me: I don't get that.  Like did Rehtaeh take a shower after she was raped and washed all the evidence away?  Like as soon as you get raped, you head to the hospital to get a rape kit done.  Don't take a shower or wash anything like your body or clothes.  It's all physical evidence.
 
There were also pictures of the rape and I have read somewhere the 4 guys admitted it, so that's evidence.  You can report it to the police, but you don't have to press charges.  It's your really your decision to press charges or not, but you should because that person could go out and rape again. 
 
Well if we know the four rapist's identies, that's fine.  There's a sex offender list, and everytime they move to a new place to live, there is a warning for everybody to know who it is for the community's safety.
 
Here's a Yahoo article about it:
 
 
 Here's a Yahoo article about cyberbullying:  
 
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/pulseofcanada/yahoo-visitors-speak-handle-cyber-bullying-161316862.html

Apr. 14 Audrie Potts: I found this on Yahoo.  This California teen was gang-raped by 3 boys, and then she committed suicide.  Her parents got lawyers and are going to get those 16 yr old boys to be charged as adults for homicide.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/yahoo-news-interview-lawyer-audrie-pott-family-press-211805711.html

Apr. 15 Stop violence: I read in a 24 news article "LRT hero hoping to stop future violence" by Pamela Roth.  It's about Manwar Khan who tried to stop a fight between 2 men on an LRT on Dec. 28, 2012.  He is 37 yrs old and he saw a guy beating up another guy.  At first, he thought they were just friends playing around, until he saw blood on one guy's face.

Khan: "I want to let everyone know that as bystanders, we are all powerful.  We just don't know how powerful we can be." 

A scared woman whispered to Khan to push the emergency button at the back of the train.  He did, and the attacker gave him an angry look.  Khan told him he was a provincial employee, and the man stopped beating him up for a moment, but then went back to it.

Khan is described as 5 ft. 4 inches.  There were 15-20 people there, and 2 were large guys.  No one stepped in to help.  One man stepped forward and asked what to do.  Then they stopped at the Belvedere station and everybody got off. 

Khan runs to an ETS member on the platform and told her what happened, thinking that help was on the way.  Then the train drives away.

Khan: I had a feeling it was going to get worse.  I saw the other started to hit him again.  I just felt helpless."

At the next stop at the Clareview station, the police arrested Jeremy Newborn, 29 and took John Hollar, 29 to the hospital.  He died 2 days later.  They were both known to the police.

Khan doesn't feel like a hero, but he has received hundreds of emails from the public including Premier Alison Redford.

Khan will start his anti-bullying campaign on Apr. 27 at Churchill Square from 3pm-5pm.

Me: I'm going to give Khan points for doing something like pressing the button, yelling at him to stop, going to an ETS worker.  I wouldn't intervene physically because of my size.  But remember that time I told you when I saw 2 guys fighting outside my restaurant?  I immediately yelled at them that I will call security, and I did.

I always call for help and get someone else to intervene.  I then filled out a security report about what happened.

YWCA: I was reading an Albertan magazine called Legacy.  I got this back in summer 2007 issue when I was in Professional Writing.  There was an article called "A Century of Solidarity" by Olenka Melnyk.  It talked about how the YWCA is very helpful in the community.

It talked about Marggo Pariseau who was 14 and Metis when she went to Edmonton from Faust.  She lived in a poor household with other siblings.  She only had $20 in her purse.  Two young men came up to her and were really nice and invited her to dinner.  A middle-aged Aboriginal woman intervened and the young men left.

Pariseau: "She made me promise not to go anywhere until she came back, and not to talk to anyone, especially men.  She wore an armband with YWCA Volunteer written on it.  I didn't know what the YWCA was, but I thought she must be important."

"I don't want to think what would've happened otherwise.  I knew nothing about pimps in those days.  I was clueless and, coming out of a bad situation, I was desperate for someone to care about me."

The YWCA started a Traveller's Aid program where they go up to women at train and bus stations, and direct them to the Y residence.  It was created in Aug. 29, 1907 to help women who are vulnerable to "homelessness, prostitution, and exploitation."

They launch other organizations like:"the Edmonton Community Chest (now the United Way) in 1941, and later, the Elizabeth Fry Society, Rape Crisis Centre, Business and Professional Women's Club, and Big Sisters."

Flashbacks: That bus station story brings me a flashback.  I wrote about it in "writer's streak/ Anonymous Rex/ perspective."  

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2011/02/writers-streak-anonymous-rex.html

I wrote in the "perspective" part about how I was watching Angel and the slayer Faith gets off at a bus station.  This guy comes up to her and I was 14 yrs old when I saw it.  I knew Faith was going to beat him up, and she does.  It's not until I was 22 yrs old, I saw the ep again, and I immediately thought: "This guy was a pimp."

At 14 yrs old, I did know what a pimp was.  I think I may have known it since I was 11 yrs old.  I remember reading this teen magazine about this girl who ran away from home, and she met a pimp.

It's like I knew what a pimp was, but I didn't think of it when I was watching that Angel ep.

Apr. 19 Racism: I found this article on Yahoo.  Hyun Lee went to pick up her photos, and then when she got home, she realized on the receipt it was changed to "Ching Chong Lee."  She is now suing for $1 million in "mental and emotional damages. The suit was filed in federal court in Camden."

Me: What?  I am offended by it, but I don't know why she would sue for $1 million.  I figured sue them, but I don't know what number I would put on it.  It's like that time last year, this guy was rude to me and saying racist things to me.  After 15 seconds talking to him, I got up and went to the bus driver and told him about it. 

Later, the ETS security came and heard my story.  They then removed the guy, the woman friend and the little 6yr old girl he was with, off the bus.  I don't sue, I report it.

Here are some more comments on Yahoo:

Brian: $1,000,000 for name calling and you get $10,000 if a cop beats you down ....hmmm some thng wrong here people !

Fatboy: horrified? hardly. P.O.ed yes.I'd raise a stink, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to fire this idiot. But a million bucks?

TheHammer: Apparantly they should have written Cha-Ching! Cha-ching! on the receipt.

Me: lol.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/nj-woman-korean-descent-sues-cvs-claims-worker-180054829--finance.html

No comments: