Sunday, April 28, 2013

leave a message/ bullying on TV/ helpful websites

Apr. 17 Leave a message: One of my friends told me that she doesn't like it when I leave messages on her phone saying: "Oh hi, it's Tracy calling.  Just wanted to talk.  I thought you would be available to talk because it's the weekend.  Well, call me back."  If you are one of my friends reading this, you would know that I leave this message to all of you guys.

Unbeknownst to me, she is annoyed when I leave that kind of message.  I thought I was self- aware of my behavior, but no one told me that it was annoying.  So the lesson is for me, that if I were to leave a message, it should be something specific like an invitation.

Ex. "I won 2 free movie tickets.  Do you want to see this movie _______?"

Or to ask a question like: "Do you have the book ______?  I know you're interested in it, so it's on sale at Coles for 30% off." 

When I call my friends, it's never really to discuss anything important.  It's just for fun and to touch base with you guys. 

Flashback: What I have learned a long time ago, when I was friends with this girl in gr.5 &6 is that, your friends are not always going to be there for you.  She was the neighbor who constantly rang my doorbell everyday asking to play and to be entertained by me, but I rather read a book.

She was always so needy, so I always said to myself that I won't be needy.  The older you get, the more busier your life gets.  The harder school gets, the more time you spend doing homework and studying. You can join sports teams or dance classes in jr. high school.  Then in high school, kids get part-time jobs and don't get me started on the dreaded boyfriend.  I've been reading teen magazines since I was like 10yrs old, and there were articles of your friends getting boyfriends, and the friends spend less time with you.

Lessons: The other lesson is, that not everything revolves around you.  It's like that time back in 2006, I was working at Call Centre #1 and Call Centre #2.  Both jobs are at night shifts from 4pm-9pm.  All my friends had school and work.  Sure, I can call on a weekday during the daytime, but no one is going to pick up the phone.

Maybe if I call at noon when people are having their lunch break.  I don't know.  But I never really did.  Maybe once when I called Leslie to tell her that I got accepted into Professional Writing.  Well, it was very exciting so I had to tell somebody.  lol.

Due to my working at night, I wasn't really able to talk to my friends on the phone or see them.  So that's why there are the weekly emails.  I would never call one of my friends and pressure them to: "Skip school or work and hang out with me."  Absolutely not.  I value school, especially if you're paying for it.

Well even if you aren't paying for it, like going to a public high school, I wouldn't pressure
my friends to skip class and hang out with me when I have a spare.

Bullying on TV:
I got this sent to my email about the TV show Arthur, that's based on children's book by the same name.  They have 2 episodes about bullying.

Monday, May 6

"The Last Tough Customer"                                 
The Tough Customers realize it's time to quit bullying and set out to find a new hobby - but can Molly ever truly change her ways?

Friday, May 10

"So Funny I Forgot to Laugh"                                                                   
Arthur thinks his jokes about Sue Ellen's new sweater are all in good fun but Sue Ellen's feelings are hurt. Has Arthur become...a bully?

The latter one seems to be about Arthur lacking self-awareness and how his actions can hurt other people's feelings.  I'm guessing the lesson is be more mindful, self-aware, and sensitive to others.

Apr. 18 Phones: I wanted to add to the leave a message subject.  Then there are people who are annoyed when people call and don't leave a message.  That means the person will have to call back to ask what they originally called about.  The other person doesn't pick up, and then you play telephone tag.

So that's why I always leave a message and tell why I called, which is usually nothing important.  Then my friends would be like: "Oh, okay.  No point in calling Tracy back.  It's not important."

Clothing store: I'll throw in a flashback from 2005.  My co-worker Jordan worked at a clothing store with me and he was ranting about how you leave one message a day.  Leave a message, and then don't call back hours later, and leave another message.  That annoys him.

I think it's okay to leave 2 messages in one day, if there is something different you want to say in the 2nd message.  Ex.

1st message: "Do you have my book?  I think I left it at your house last week.  Call me if you find it."

2nd message: "Never mind, I found it."  lol.

Apr. 19: So this message is to all my friends: "Please tell me if you like it when I leave a message or not.  Then I can make a personal note of it."

As for me, it's okay if you call and don't leave a message.  If it's important, I will assume you would have left a message and told me what it was.

Apr. 20 Angry: You guys may be thinking: "What?  I thought you would want someone to leave a message.  Remember your emails where you said not knowing things get you angry?"  Well I will assume it's not important if you didn't leave a message.

Apr. 27 Summer: That reminds me of last summer.  I remember calling 2 of my friends who worked in downtown.  I called at like 3pm on a weekday afternoon and they both picked up their cells and said they were at work.  I invited each of them to go to this festival at Winston Churchill Square after they're done work, but they said they were both busy after work.

Helpful websites:

Bedsider.org: I was watching Teen Mom 2 and it mentions this website.  I looked into a bit and it talks about health, sex, and safety tips about sexual health.  There's information about birth control, like what methods and where to get them.  I like the design of the site and it's informative:

http://bedsider.org/

Feeding America: I was watching Dr. Phil the other day, because it was about teen pregnancy.  In a commercial, he advertised this website for Feeding America.  It turns out Target helps feed school children:

http://feedingamerica.org/

No comments: