Tuesday, December 18, 2012

job interviews/ staffing agencies/ student loans

Dec. 6 Job interviews: Today was my day off and it was very productive.

Energy company: First I went to a job interview at an energy company in the morning.  Prior to it, I was reading the business sections of the newspaper.  The place was easy for me to get to.  I will admit I did do a job interview for them before a couple of years ago when it was for a customer service representative.  The CSR position was going door-to-door selling energy.

This time, I was going for the interviewer position.  On the phone, he said I was to interview people and decide who to hire.  I thought "HR."  I did the interview, and I was told to be a recruiter.  It's like I'm supposed to recruit as many people as people like putting up job ads on the internet.  80 people will be recruited, 50 people will come, 25 people will stick around.  12 people do the job shadow, and 6 come back.  2 stick around for a long time.

I was asked a question: "If a candidate learned it's a door-to-door sales position, and suddenly they're not interested, what do you say to them?"  I said: "I would tell them this position is not for them."

He then said the answer was supposed to be: "You're supposed to sell them how it's a really good job opportunity and talk about commissions."  There is going to be a 2nd round of interviews.  The interview was about 10 min. long. 

Errands: I then went to downtown and bumped into my brother.  We chatted a bit.  Then I deposited a check.  I recycled two pens at Staples.  I read the newspaper and ate chips as I bide my time before I go to another job interview in the afternoon.

Hair salon: I went to another job interview at a hair salon.  It was easy to get to.  I sat and read a magazine there for 15min because I got there 15min before it was scheduled to start.  I then read some more of my newspapers that I brought.  There were two candidates before me.  Then after that, the phone was ringing and he had to take those calls.  I read some more.

The interview was about a few min. long.  It was a nice place.  They answered my questions like when they make a hiring decision.

Meet up: After that, since I was in downtown, I stopped by this office.  They had called me and I left 2 messages at 2 different days.  I talked to the receptionist about my situation, and she got the person.  I spoke to her, and she said that she was really busy and haven't gotten to her voice mail yet. But she will contact me.

That's good.  There could be the chance of her saying: "I already hired somebody."

Dec. 7 Job expectations: One my friends did a job interview a couple of weeks ago.  She told me that the place was hiring for $11/hr.  However, they had a lot of people simply not show up for a lot of their shifts.  If she shows up for all of her shifts, she gets a bonus so she would be getting paid like $13/hr.

That expectation is very low.  That reminds me of this one employee at the Soup place who keeps missing Mon. and Tues. and doesn't call.  We had low expectations of her showing up.  My managers never gave her a bonus for showing up.  I have worked a lot of places, done a lot of interviews, and seen a lot of job ads that don't mention getting a bonus to show up.

Staffing agencies: I see an ad for Kijiji.  It's a staffing agency looking for recruiters.  I have Google "Staffing agencies suck" and found a blog post dissing them.  Then 64 comments continued to diss it.

I decided to Google "Staffing agencies are good", but I found "Staffing agencies are a joke."
Someone asked a question about them on Yahoo.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Well, they are not a joke entirely. They fill a niche. But they ARE flesh peddlers, so they must keep their dbase of applicants at maximum in order to respond to client requests for bodies.
Soooo, sometimes they run 'blind' ads to get folks to apply or send in resumes even tho the job is already filled.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006050110873

I Google search it and I get more things that automatically pop up: "Staffing agencies are a waste of time" and "are bull---."

Dec. 10: Today was different.  I went to work 30 min earlier, and for the first time, worked an entire shift at this other department because they need 1 more person.  I have worked there before when they needed me, but it's usually I'm at the restaurant.  Then the other department calls me over and I either do something that lasts 10min. or an hr.

Dec. 12: It's been a week, and the energy company didn't contact me after the interview.  That's fine.  When I learned I would have to be constantly recruiting people for this job, I knew it was going to be hard.  You work so hard, and all these people who come into the job won't last long, and will quit because door-to-door sales are hard.

The recruiter position is like finding a needle in a haystack. You're trying to find that one applicant who will do well in sales.

In person: I passed out my resume in person to this place.  It said they only will take a resume in person.  It was easy to get there.  I think there is good job security there because of the location and the need for it.  They will do interviews in 2 weeks.

Lateral move: I told my friend that she made a lateral move.  She still works at the restaurant, like one or two shifts a week.  She got another restaurant job that's full-time.  I told her as long as she's happy, that's all that matters.

Dec. 18 Intense interview: I did another job interview.  I was told it was going to be an 1hr long, but it was 20min.  The interviewer was intense.  She was direct and seemed to be kind of attacking me by asking: "Why do you want to work here judging from your education?"  I have had an interview start off like that with a medical office assistant position.

Her look and her tone of voice kind of reminded me of Jane Kaczmarek (Lois from Malcolm in the Middle).  I don't mean to diss her.  She was nice by saying that's good that I had my blogs and my writing published on websites.  She said my answer was good when she gave me a situation that would occur at work.

She did ask the questions of: "Where do you see yourself 5 yrs from now?"  I said I wanted a office career.

Phone interview: I got home and then did a phone interview for another company.

The perfect job interview: This is an article I got through Linked In.  #1 be likable is a basic.  I didn't know about "#4 Set a hook."  It's something that stands out about your like: "Hooks make you memorable and create an anchor for interviewers to remember you by -- and being memorable is everything."

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20121121171031-20017018-the-perfect-job-interview-in-8-simple-steps?trk=eml-mktg-top12-f-1218-p5

Sick: I've been sick for the past 5 days, but I keep going to work.  It's not so bad that I can hardly walk.  I can function.

Student loans: Hazel Taylor sent me this article "8 Ways to Avoid taking out Student Loans."  The tips are pretty basic like get a scholarship.  You don't have to get really good grades or be a athlete.  I was told in gr. 12 from my Eng. teacher that there was a student who got his entire tuition paid off due to scholarships.  There are lots of scholarships that people don't know about, so they don't apply.  So research. 

Work (but don't let it affect your grades), save up, get help from your family, and live frugally.  I'm all about living frugally because we really can do without a lot of things that we don't need.

http://www.onlineclasses.org/2012/07/15/8-ways-to-avoid-taking-out-student-loans/

No comments: