Tuesday, December 4, 2012

jewelry business/ HIT & master list/ credit card sales

Nov. 21 Jewelry business: I thought: "Wouldn't it be cool and fun to start your own jewelry making business?  In fact, last year one of my friends mentioned that she was going to make her own.  Months later I found that email and I asked her about it.  She said she got really busy with her job and didn't start on it.

I go to those Farmer's markets in downtown on the weekends in the summer.  There are always these booths selling handmade jewelry, and I like to look at it.  I did find this good article that asks all these questions I didn't think of:

"What will your startup costs be? What are your materials costs?

If you aren't handcrafting the product yourself, what will manufacturing expenses cost you?

Is it more cost effective to manufacture your product in the U.S. or to outsource to another country?

Should you open a physical store or are markets your best bet?

 Finally, are you prepared to handle vendor fees, licensing expenses, and other unforeseen costs along the way?"
http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/12/how-to-start-a-jewelry-making-business_pagen_2.html

eHow: I found this website gave some really good and easy tips.  Start a website for free, and get your business cards at Vistaprint website.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2135628_start-jewelry-business-small-budget.html

Communications consultant: I did research on this earlier, but I didn't go to this website to learn about it.

Ehow:
It says they can work in any organization, big or small.  It did say if I was to consult, I would have to have at least 10 yrs experience in the communications field.  According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, a full-time one will be $47,000 a yr.

If you are planning to consult, you should have at least 10 years of experience in the communications field.

Read more: Job Description of a Communications Consultant | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5396926_job-description-communications-consultant.html#ixzz2Cu1nYwvs

Social science: I had written down to research this for my careers.

Wikipedia: "Social science refers to the academic disciplines concerned with society and human behavior.[1] "Social science" is commonly used as an umbrella term to refer to anthropology, archaeology, criminology, economics, education, history, linguistics, communication studies, political science, international relations, sociology, human geography, and psychology, and includes elements of other fields as well, such as law and social work."

Nov. 22 Office job search: I'm back on my office job search.  For about a month I've been researching on careers.  I'm done with that.  Now I'm ready to do something more active like applying for jobs.

HIT & master list:
I was reading the Globe and Mail business article by Harvey Schachter.  He did a review of the book What to Do When There's Too Much To Do by Laura Stack, president of Productivity Pro consultants.

A HIT list is a High Impact Tasks that are "a reasonable number of items, geared to how much time available in the day beyond meetings, email, and social engagements."  It's to "...evaluate the value of different tasks and the priorities that need to be assigned."  It's the saying I go by: "Focus on tasks that bring the most results" like my office job search.

A Master list is everything you need or want to do without any due date.  It's like cleaning your desk.  It's not very important, but something that needs to be done.

Nov. 23 Wal-Mart: I was looking for a job and I found this ad that Wal-Mart is hiring.  It seems they're going green because of their ad:

"
1. To become a zero waste business;
2. To operate with 100 per cent renewable energy;
3. To provide customers with products that sustains resources and the environment."

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-customer-service-Wal-Mart-West-Edmonton-NOW-HIRING-Sales-Associates-W0QQAdIdZ433534986

Rant: Today at work, this Server #1 was being a jerk to Server #2.  He purposely gave her a table when she already got a table sat in her section.  He gave her that table because by looking at the customers, you know they aren't going to tip well or not at all.  The hostess is fair in doling out how many tables between how many servers, to keep things even.

This reminds me of another server telling me how she worked at another restaurant before, and the manager gave the good tables to this server who's been there for years.  That server's been there for years, so she gets seniority, but it's not really fair to the others.

Server #2 then ranted to a few of us about it, but won't tell him to his face.  Server #1 was then being a jerk to me and I told him about what he did to Server #2.  Server #2 thanked me for standing up for her, and she also stood up for me too.

Baby-sitter's Club:
Now for some reason, I got this flashback of the book series The Baby-Sitter's Club.  Dawn is not getting along with her friend/ step-sister Mary Anne because Mary Anne is hogging the good baby-sitting clients.  They're both available, but Mary Anne takes the client that she wants to baby-sit.  Then another time, they're both available, and she gives Dawn a client that no one really likes to baby- sit for.

Nov. 26 Budget car rentals: I was looking for a job and I see that Budget car rentals is hiring receptionists who also have a driver's license.  I sent it to one of my friends.  I then talked to her about it, and she said she has applied to them before, but will again.

Nov. 27 Fusion Software: I was looking for a job and I found this Edmonton company.  It's a tech company that helps your business with computers.  The website is really good and sleek.

http://fusionsoftware.ca/index.htm

Kognitive Marketing: I also found this and had to Google "Is Kognitive Marketing a scam?"  I found this forum and people are dissing it.  One person said he worked so hard, and made little money.  It's a scam. 

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/kognitve-marketing-793032/

Credit card sales: I talked to a server who told me that she had worked at job where she got people to sign up for credit cards.  She worked 40hr weeks for 2 months, and only got paid $800.

40hrs x 8 weeks= 320 hrs

$800/ 320hrs = 2.5

That's like $2.50/ hr.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  She said that she only got 1 pay check instead of 2.  Something about getting the job later, and getting paid once a month.  I wouldn't want to do that job prior to her telling me because selling and getting people to sign up for credit cards is hard.

It was also about how she got a lot of people to sign up for the credit cards, a lot of it was also false information just to get this free item.  Or people do give correct information, but then they move or change their phone numbers, so she couldn't process the credit card to go through.  Thus, she didn't make money off them.

1 comment:

Plastic Business cards said...

Enhancing y knowledge level i found it very helpful...