Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tekken movie/ Gamer/ joke

Sept. 13 Tekken movie: Today is my day off.  I did an hr of my job search, some chores, and then another hr of my job search.  I was listening to techno music, and the song "Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)" by the Immortals while I was looking for a job.  On Youtube, the music then lead me to the full-length movie Tekken.  I worked already, so I decided to treat myself to it.

My brother had that video game way back in 2001.  My siblings and I played it.  Then my friend Leslie came over and played it and in 2003 she bought the game off us.  I emailed my friend Dan L. if he watched it and he said no, though he played the games.

Now to the actual movie that came out in 2010.  The movie is about a young man named Jin who lives in a post- apocalyptic world.  He sees his mother get killed by the bad guys, and he decides to avenge her death by being a fighter.  He will win the Iron Fist fight competition, and meet the man who created Tekken and was responsible for the order on the death of his mother.

Comparisons: There are a lot of movies based off video games like Resident Evil.  This movie also was like The Hunger Games where people fight to the death.  It was also done on supernatural TV shows I mentioned like Angel, Being Human, and Grimm about bad guys kidnapping vampires, werewolves and demons and they fight to the death.

This movie also reminded me of the TV show Dark Angel where they lived in a post- apocalyptic world.

There are flashes of previous events in the movie that leads to Jin's final fight.  That was also done in Never Back Down.

Dialogue: It was average.  Then again, you're not really watching this movie because of the dialogue.  You watch it for the action.

Action: The action is really good.  The first scene is a chase scene and Jin is running and getting shot at.  There is good rock music playing. 

Story: Now this is the important part- at least for me.  There is a good intro about how the world is divided into 8 districts.  Jin is played by John Foo, and I think he's a good actor in this movie.  Jin delivers a ball with gigabytes to these hackers and gets paid very well.

The world is introduced as a dark and run down atmosphere.  It's introduced on the big TV screen that there's a Tekken tournament.  His friends tell him to fight in it.  Jin comes home to his mom and there's good dialogue that exposes about how Jin's dad is dead and he's running contraband to make money.

His mom taught him to fight.  I will give points for ethnic diversity.  Jin, mom, and the bad guys are Asian.  There is a black guy fighter named Raven.  Introduce Jin's girlfriend Sarah who's white.  They actually show them getting it on a bit.  I remember reading Fametracker Forums way back in 2002 about how you don't see Asian guys get it on, on the screen.

The guards are named Jackhammers and they bust into Jin's house and asks his mom where Jin is.  She won't tell him.  The big old boss Heihachi and his son Kazuya decide to bomb the place with her and the soldiers in it. 

Jin goes to an open call and does a cage fight so he could get into the Iron Fist competition.  Jin wins and needs sponsors.  He meets his manager Steve and they team up.

Kazuya does some exposition and introduces the fighters and their past.  Jin meets this hot girl fighter Christie (Kelly Overton.  I did a quick check on her and she's been on True Blood.)   Jin is an amateur, an underdog, so you want to root for him.

Jin meets bad guy Kazuya and Kazuya insinuates that he may know him.  There are flashbacks of Jin and his mom training.  She says to him: "Defeat is a choice.  So is victory."  Kazuya does some research into Jin and there's a DNA match to his mom.

Jin and Christie hang out in night club and they're dancing and kissing.

Surprises: There were quite a few surprises like the surprise attack on Jin in his room.  There's a connection between Jin's mom and the manager Steve.

How the fights were going this way, and then to another route.  I thought this one fight scene was going to be the last, but no, there was another one thrown in.

Characters: There are surprises like connections between Kazuya and Jin's mom, and Kazuya and Jin, Heihachi and Jin.  There is betrayal.  There is some depth in the characters and the families.  As for the other fighters, they're just there to fight in the action scenes.

Sept. 16: This must be the law of attraction.  I watch Tekken earlier this week and then this other movie comes on TV, with a similar storyline.

Gamer: This movie came out in 2009, and I saw it on Space Channel last night.  It's about a game where death-row convicts fight and kill each other.  If one of them wins 30 battles, they are released out of prison.  The movie is futuristic, great visual effects.  There is a lot of nudity, profanity and violence.  It's kind of disturbing.

Action:
There is lots of action here with explosions, gun fights, running, car chases.  It's exciting.  It's also surreal like you're in a video game.  It starts off with a "Sweet Dreams" cover.  It's a hard rock version of it.  At the beginning there was mindless shooting, and then a pause.

It's sci-fi action with lots of suspense.  It's very cool, hypnotic to watch.  It feels like you're in a battlefield.  There are fist fights.  There is beautiful cinematography with the lighting and filming.

Story: This is a really good story.  The character Kable (Gerald Butler) is a death row convict and he has won 27 battles.  He needs to win 3 more battles so he could be reunited with his wife and daughter.  He is a sympathetic character because he has a family and will later show how he got into prison.  Kable is in the game Slayers.

Kable's wife Angie (Amber Valetta) is also working in the game Society.  Castle (Michael C. Hall) plays the villain.  He's like Bill Gates and it's a good intro to the world that this movie is in.  He created the game Society where real people pay to control other real people in the game.  Real people get paid when they are in the game doing whatever the controller wants them to do.

Slayers is a game for pay-per-view.  It gives death row inmates a chance to be released from prison.

Humanz Brother (Ludacris) is against Castle and his games.  Simon (Logan Lerman) is a teenage boy who controls Kable in the game.  Humanz says the games are like slavery.  Seriously, if you think about it.  Someone is controlling another person's every move.  The desperate are the ones being controlled because they need the money.

There is a good and strong ending.  It was unpredictable.

Actor: On a side note, I saw Sam Witwer (a vampire on Being Human) in this movie.  It was a nice surprise.  I have never seen him in a button- down shirt and glasses before.

Sept. 17 Eric Johnson: I was reading the 24 News and it said my favorite Edmonton actor Eric Johnson is now the voice of Sam Fisher in the video game called Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

EJ: It really is a blend of theatre and the most high-tech, on-set camera stuff.

Bonnie Doon: I went shopping today for work clothes.  My mom and I went to Suzy Shier and there weren't any pants on sale.  We went to Sears to look at shoes.  Did you know La Senza and Everything for a Dollar Store closed down?  IXIA Boutique opened. 

Zeddy: I saw this ad in the paper about Zellers and everything must go, including their teddy bear mascot Zeddy.  I saw one 1min 23 sec video where a man leaves Zeddy in the woods.  It's cute and funny. 

There's a contest on Facebook that if you want to adopt Zeddy, you can get $5000 to a charity of your choice and win a $500 HBC card.

Sept. 18: I called the Zellers at Kingsway and they said they will be liquidating in Nov. and closing in Feb.


Sept. 20 Joke: I got this from Daily Silly.

The phone bill was exceptionally high.. Man called a family meeting to discuss.

Dad: This is unacceptable. I don't use home phone, I use my work phone.
Mum: Me too. I hardly use home phone.
Son: I use my office mobile, I never use the home phone.
All of them shocked and together look at the maid who's patiently listening to them
Maid: What? So we all use our work phones. What's the big deal?


Me: Oh, I thought it was going to be the teenage daughter who uses the phone, but it was the maid.  Unpredictable and funny.

No comments: