Sunday, October 7, 2012

careers for shy people/ human resources/ retirement

Sept. 24 Careers for shy people: I found this article on Yahoo and it's called "Smart Career Options for Shy People."  That would be me.  It mentioned computer programmer, accountant, and paralegal that I'm not interested in. 

It did mentioned graphic designer, health information technician, and survey researcher.  I did study graphic design for a year.  I have been applying to work at medical offices so I could work as a health information technician.  I have worked at call centres and interviewed people to do surveys. 

To be a survey researcher, it says to have a Bachelor's degree in:

"business, psychology, or political science, according to the Department.
Taking courses in research methods, survey methodology, and statistics could also be beneficial. Most technical or advanced research positions require a master's degree or Ph.D., adds the Department."

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/careers_for_the_bashful.htm?kid=1MO9Z

Sept. 25 Agrology: I have copy and pasted these occupations and education on my disk.  One of them is this. 

Do you know what Agrology is?  On Wikipedia: "is the branch of soil science dealing with the production of crops."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrology

Banks: I haven't looked for a job at banks in awhile.  Have you heard of the Canadian Securities Course?  If you want to be an investment advisor or financial planner, you have to take it.  There is the Canadian Investments Fund course, Conduct and handbook practices course, etc.
I also have this written: General insurance license, Life insurance license, Financial security advisor license, Mutual fund representative license.

None of it interests me.  If you're interested working in finance, go here to get your education and you can learn on your own:

https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/home.xhtml
IAP2: I found this in my notes and it stands for International Association for Public Participation.   On the site, it says:

"IAP2 Canada is an Association of members who seek to promote and improve the practice of public participation in relation to individuals, governments, institutions, and other entities that affect the public interest in Canada and around the world."

This organization seems to be about charity and volunteers.  To be a member, you have to pay $140 for a year.

Sept. 26 Call Centre #6: Today I did a job interview at call centre #6.  I think it went well.  The best part would be that I bumped into one of my supervisors from call centre #1.  He was working there, and we chatted a bit.  I'm going to email him my blog so we can stay in contact.  That is how I'm staying in contact with one of my friends.  He has a blog and I've been leaving comments on them.

Sept. 27 Vector Marketing: This must be the law of attraction.  Last week I was talking to my friend Dan L. about it.  This week, one of my friends went to a job interview for it.  I Google "Is Vector Marketing a scam?"  There are these comments about how you have to buy the knives and sell them.

Kev: The secretary had the nerve to tell me, you have to wear proper attire for the interview. NO *** even mcdonalds require a button shirt and tie for interview. Thats how stupid she was.

Me: Looks like someone is really angry about being told the basics of a job interview attire.  I did call up this place back in 2006, and the secretary said that to me too.  I wasn't angry though.  Kev's comment said it was from 67 months ago.  I did the math and it's like 3 yrs ago.

Here are more comments:


Sept. 29 Human Resources: I was reading Metro, and there was an article about being a Certified Human Resources Professional.  Elizabeth Dorion was being interviewed and she majored in management and labor studies.  She took the National Knowledge Exam before she worked in HR.

I guess I'm researching it because I have done all these job interviews, I want to know what it's like on the other side of the desk.  lol.

I found the website that tells you how to become one.  It's informative.  This page gives facts like 60% of CHRP's work in a corporate/ business environment (60%).  35% earn $51,000-75,000 per yr.


HR does the hiring and training.  If it's a small company, there's no HR, then the manager does the hiring and training.  Or the manager hires, and the co-workers train and show the new worker how things operate.


Oct. 1 Feelings: Here's a mild rant.  The other day I could have done training for Call Centre #6.  They gave me 2 days notice and I had to work at the restaurant.  The centre will reschedule.  I went to the restaurant, and it was very quiet.  If I didn't go to work, they would have been fine without me.  After work, I was to meet someone.  I got there and read the newspaper.  I got a text and he said something came up and he can't up. 

I went home and looked for an agent on the internet.  I then watched a TV movie on Youtube.  The day was kind of downer, but I have to write about it so I can get over it.

Graduate early: Hazel Taylor sent me this article "7 Benefits of Graduating Early."  There were good points like saving money if you graduate a yr or a semester early.  You get a head start on your career.  I remember talking to this woman in Professional Writing.  She says: "I am sick of going to school, and I want to start working." 

I know the feeling.  That's why I looked into one or two yr college programs instead of 4 yrs.


Retirement: In the same article, it mentioned saving for retirement and here's the math:

"If you put away $4,000 a year from the time you’re 22, you’ll have $1 million when you’re 62 (if you get 8% annual returns). If you wait until you’re 32 to start, you’ll have to save $8,800 a year instead, a sum that might be tough to save with the likelihood of increased financial responsibilities by that age. Getting a job and starting retirement savings early will only put you ahead of the game, benefiting you in the long run."

No comments: