Sunday, September 2, 2012

turn down/ saying/ email is forever

Aug. 10 Turn down: I just got a call back from this medical clinic.  They called on Tues. and I had my cell phone downstairs because I was watching TV upstairs.  It was also at night, and hardly any employers call me at night.  I called the place back on Wed. and then today.  They called me back to set up an interview on Sat. night, but it's on my birthday.

I asked if it could be on a Mon., they said it's only at 5 or 7pm.  At around that time, it's my birthday dinner and cake with my family.  It's a tradition.  Then I turned the interview down. 

You might be like: "Tracy, that is a stupid reason to not go to a job interview because it's on your birthday and around the time of your birthday dinner.  You're putting obstacles in front of yourself."  

I looked up the bus schedule again.  It would take like 1hr and 9min to get there.  The two buses seem fine.  The two bus routes seem frequent enough.  I have a feeling I won't really get the job.  Though you guys are like: "That's just a feeling.  What about you saying 'Never assume'?"  I guess I didn't really want it that bad.

I also had a job interview today, and I actually set another one up for Mon.  What would get me to go to a job interview on my birthday?  If it was a bank, I would go there and be like "Let's have my birthday dinner tomorrow."   

Flashback: There was only one other time I turned down an interview.  It was on a Sat. morning and I had to work that day.  The company called me 2 days prior to it.  I asked if I can do the interview on a weekday, but they said it was a group interview and it's a one time thing.  I would have to call a cab or take 3 buses.  (The bus routes were different on a Sat.)  If it was a weekday, I would take 2 buses.

It comes down to "Spend $20 on a cab ride, miss a day of work of making money, to do a job interview for a job you have a slight chance of getting."  It wasn't worth it.

Aug. 15 Home business: Jay Smith sent me this article "9 Legit Deductions for your Home Business You Should Know About."  Some things are obvious like utilities, legal expenses, and equipment.  What I didn't know was Netflix and dvds could be deducted.

"Do you view movies, through a service like Netflix just for fun? Or is viewing films and television a crucial part of your research and development as a creative business owner (a scriptwriter, costume designer, graphic artist)?" 

Movies: Yes, I did rent a couple of dvds for research for my The Vertex Fighter script.  I rented Never Back Down and Fighting to see if they're like my movie.  They aren't.  NBD was set in high school, and had a mentor, and my movie doesn't.  Fighting didn't have mix martial arts fighting.

http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/08/05/9-legit-deductions-for-your-home-business-you-should-know-about/

Aug. 16 Saying: I remember this saying when I was like 13 yrs old.  It was "What is the difference between ignorance and stupidity?  Ignorance is when you don't know better.  Stupidity is when you do know better, but you do it anyway."  It was when I was watching Jenny Jones talk show with my little brother.  A military guy was to straighten out these out-of-control teenage girls.

I then went and Google to find the difference.  Here are some Yahoo answers which is the same. 

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080906150453AASfgYZ

Staffing agencies:
I'm thinking this because of staffing agencies.  In 2007-2008, I didn't know they were bad as in they were making money off me.  That's ignorance.  Now when I apply to them, I feel stupid.  Like I know it's bad, but I'm doing it.  But when they call me or email me, I don't call back.

Email is forever: Job Boom sent me their newsletter and I read this long article about Barclays CEO Bob Diamond and "e-mails of his traders crowing over interest rate manipulation, he is almost certainly telling the truth."

Emails can last forever on servers.  A lot of technology and security experts can find old emails.  So be careful what you send and put on the internet.

http://www.canoe.ca/Canoe/Money/News/2012/07/11/19974806.html

Women in business:
There is a shorter article that women in boardroom "performed better in the stock market by an average of 26% over the past six years."  Women are more risk- adverse and they're making most consumer decisions at home, so they know what consumers want.

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/Work/2012/07/31/20049111.html

Social media: Here's a short article about companies using social media.  Did you know it only takes less than 2% of the company's budget to use social media?

http://www.canoe.ca/Canoe/Money/News/2012/07/10/19969956.html

Retirement: Here's a short article about how young people are overly optimistic that they will be retiring before they're 60.  They're also not really saving any or enough money for retirement.  You can vote on the poll.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/01/cdns-want-to-retire-early-but-arent-saving-study

Aug. 18: I did an interview earlier this week at a store, and they're supposed to call back yesterday.  They didn't.  That's okay.  I will still keep applying to their other locations.

Energy companies: I typed into Google "Energy companies suck" and I only got "Oil companies suck" websites.  I typed it in because in 2010, I did a job interview for one.  They told me it was going door-to-door selling energy.  I wasn't interested.  I did the interview, took the business card and went home.  I didn't call back and they didn't either.

There are a whole bunch of energy company ads on Kijiji where they say "10 positions available.  $17/hr."  Doesn't that sound like a scam to you?  A few weeks ago, a guy did come to our door asking to speak with my parents.  They weren't home.

Aug. 20: The companies are Just Energy, Direct Energy, and World Energy to name a few.

Insurance companies:
I was going through my agenda, and I am reminded that I applied to an insurance company before.  They emailed saying they would get back to me.  They didn't.  That's okay.

I did find this forum where some people complained about an insurance company.  It seems that there are a lot of rules about how to get the company to pay for things like when you get into a car accident.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/intact-insurance-will-not-pay-my-rental-815253/

On this site, it says customer service skills are important.  You should take business or math in college to go into insurance.

http://www.insidecareers.co.uk/__802574d800541e85.nsf/id/7wvfdqcwis!opendocument

Call Centre #6: I applied there again.  I got a call from them months ago, but I wasn't sure about my schedule since my restaurant added my hours.  Now that I know more info about this company, I can fit this job into my schedule.

Aug. 21: Good news, they said they might be hiring soon.  We'll see.

No comments: