Sunday, September 30, 2012

consumer vision/ school advice/ scam

Sept. 4 Consumer vision: I was reading Metro newspaper and found an ad for Consumer Vision.  It's market research and they're creating focus groups.  I looked it up thinking there's one in Edmonton that I could apply to, and there wasn't.  It's only in Toronto.

http://www.consumervision.ca/

Sept. 15 Public relations: Is this the law of attraction working?  Last week, one of my college writing classmates added me on Linked In.  She did a yr in a Public Relations course.  Then I got an email from CPRS Edmonton with their job postings.  Lots of the postings says you need a diploma in communications or public relations.

Sept. 16: I emailed my college friend on Facebook and asked about that Public Relations course.

School advice: I was reading in the Globe and Mail job advice column about: "What if I don't get a career with my education?  Do I go to more school or get experience?"  The expert advice was to get experience.  HR looks at experience first, and education second. 

The expert also mentioned how she saw a lot of people with master's degrees who can't get jobs in entry level because they're overqualified and can't get manager's jobs because they don't have experience.

However, I remember reading an article a couple yrs ago about how people were downplaying themselves in resumes so they don't look like they're overqualified for jobs.  Like one secretary had a $40,000 a yr job, and got laid off and was applying for $10/hr retail job.

Sept. 19 Entrepreneurship: Rosa Ray sent me this article called "15 Ways Parents can Promote Entrepreneurship."  It's mainly about giving kids an allowance because they earned it and "not for existing."  lol.  Join Junior Achievement, play business games.

I think the best part was the infographic at the top like how entrepreneurs were described as kids:

43% loners
25% nerds
20% clowns
11% jocks
1% bullies

I think a lot of people don't think of themselves as bullies.  They either don't think they are, or won't admit it.  Or see it as harmless teasing. 

77% don't have business degrees
43% are the oldest in their families

http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/2012/07/16/15-ways-parents-can-promote-entrepreneurship/
Linked In: One of my NAIT friends confirmed me on Linked In.  It's been a few months since I found him.

Sept. 20 Job interview: I went to a job interview today.  I think it went okay.  I did impress one of them that I was pitching my script.  They asked what I know about the company.  Good thing I researched them and took notes.  I then read my notes to them.

Pros:
1. It's in downtown.
2. The pay is really good.
3. Big company which means it's harder to close down.  There's more job security.
4. Big company means there's also more opportunities to grow and learn.
5. I can work at the restaurant on the weekends.

Cons:
1. It's hard.  What they told me was that you are constantly learning something new.  It seems really challenging.  There will be a lot of support.

There is another position and I'm willing to take it.

Business: I used to go to high school with this guy.  He was in my choir class and he was 2 grades above me.  We're Facebook friends.  I asked him about a job, and he told me about this business opportunity.  He told me to go talk to his friend about it.  I was like I'll go to it with low expectations.  I talked to him and got to know him and his business for 35 min. at the mall.

The business model is this: You can go to Store #1 and buy shampoo.  Or you can open your own store and buy shampoo from yourself.  Thus you make money.

I will have to think about it.  I'm wary that it could be a scam.  Prior to it, I talked to Dan L. about Vector Marketing.  Back in 2006, I found it and told my dad about it.  He says it's a scam.  Dan L. says it's not really a scam, but it feels like it.  It's where you go and make a presentation to sell Cutco Knives.  Dan L.'s friend made thousands of dollars on it.

Dan L. wasn't good at it.  He was there for a few weeks.  The time to take the bus to the place and then do the presentation, then go back home was a lot of time.

Sept. 23 Scam: Way back in 2010, I was unemployed and I emailed all my friends looking for a job.  One young woman from college emailed me about a business opportunity, and I said I was looking for a job as in a place to work at, not selling something.  I then emailed her the above paragraph.

She says: "Just avoid anything that you would have to working on getting new clients all day every day. It was so exhausting selling an idea and backing products all day everyday."

"Anything that is multi level marketing is a bad idea. Don't get sucked into that."

I went to this shopping website from the guy I talked to:

http://jackdontselljack.mychoices.biz/Shop/Shop.aspx?L=T

College friend says: "What he is trying to sell you and what you will be trying to sell everyone is Amway. Unless you are in love and I mean in love, with their products I would stear far from it."

Amway: I Google it and found this.  It talks about Quixtar and pyramid schemes. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway#Quixtar

I'm getting a flashback of a few months ago I was reading the Edmonton Journal.  It was the "Style" section about weddings.  This Asian woman and white man went to a Amway session not knowing what it really was about.  They sat next to each other, met and fell in love.  I think it was Amway.

Jewelry:
I was in Capilano mall today, and there were these tables selling things.  One was jewelry and you can host parties selling it.  I don't think it's a scam, but I'm not interested in selling jewelry.  

Conveyancing:
I have looked for an office job and there are a lot of conveyance assistant positions. 

I had actually saved this link on a disk. 
http://www.hmr.co.uk/search/jobDetail.aspx?searchType=simSalary&JobID=180&portalID=2

This other link gave me this job description:

"Basically, conveyancing involves getting a lot of bits of paper together from lots of different places - buyers, sellers, banks, building societies, surveyors, local authorities, and so no. The Conveyancing Assistant gets hold of all these pieces of paper by writing, phoning, nagging, ordering on line etc. The Conveyancer then reads the pieces of paper and generates more pieces of paper which will require signatures etc. to make the whole deal work so buyers and sellers know what they are doing. "

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/80436

Job sites: I was reading an old 24 job article I cut out earlier this year.  It mentioned www.greatgigstudentjobs.com.  I looked it up and all the jobs are for high school, college students, recent graduates in Toronto.

The article also mentioned talentegg.ca.  It's for all over Canada.  There is volunteer, co-op, early career, that you can look for.  I read one article.  It seems to be a pretty good site.

5 comments:

Roy said...

Good blog post, The primary concern which enhances us far than wild animals is data. This https://www.phdthesiswriting.biz/how-to-write-a-mini-thesis/ site gives us a familiarity with other's desires for the overall public around us and nature we live in. It impels us to return something better to our condition.

Roy said...

Good blog post, They have to keep up a system under understudies can learn in a positive space where understudies can give more attentiveness in regards to their understudies and this https://www.reflectiveessayhelp.com/best-reflective-essays-are-written-here/ site can achieve more pack with a particular true objective to give better outcome toward the end.

Roy said...

Good site, The direction is our limit human right. It does not just give you the vision of 3R'S, but instead additionally indicates you on this site ethically, socially, significantly, socially, and significantly.

Gary P Henderson said...

Excellent post, They should maintain a method beneath understudies can easily understand in the optimistic area in which understudies will give a lot more attentiveness in relation to their particular understudies and also this https://www.annotatedbibliographyapa.net/our-apa-bibliography-services/annotated-bibliography-apa-sixth-edition-editing-help/ web site can perform a lot more bunch using a distinct correct aim to offer far better final result in the direction of the conclusion.

Christopher Blevins said...

The particular course will be our own reduce individual proper. No merely supply you with the perspective regarding 3R'S, but instead in addition suggests an individual on this click here ethically, socially, substantially, socially, and also substantially.