Thursday, September 13, 2012

comedy comparisons/ Free Ride/ autism

Aug. 25 Comedy comparisons:

Thinking someone is going to commit suicide, but isn't: I was watching The Simpsons today, and it's about Mr. Burns who stole the Simpson's 25 puppies.  At the end of the ep, Mr. Burns sells the dogs to the track and gets $10 million for it.

Cut to Marge entering the basement and it looks like Homer is hanging himself. 

Marge: Homer, no!
Homer is batting a lamp.
Homer: Marge, you know the only thing that cheers me up is batting this lamp when I gave those puppies to Mr. Burns.

The light bulb then hits Homer's head.  I have a question with this ep.  The Simpsons didn't give the puppies to Mr. Burns, because he stole them and then was going to make a tux out of them.  He was about to kill the puppies, but then decides not to.

Aug. 26 Parodies:

Dateline: Today I was talking to one of the servers at work.  She said she thinks Dateline: To Catch a Predator is funny because South Park made fun of it.  The episode of South Park where as soon as the predators enter and see Chris Hansen, they shoot themselves.

Here's the clip, 17 seconds in:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V8lwFKZVh8

Pinocchio: I was watching Once Upon a Time and there was an episode about Pinocchio.  It was a very well-written episode.  However, the entire time I was watching it, I was thinking about that Family Guy joke.  I couldn't find the clip on Youtube.

Cut to the Old Man with Pinocchio. 

Old Man: Oh, I dropped my glasses.
Old Man bends over and his butt is right in front of Pinocchio's face.  (You know he's going to try to get the kid to lie and the nose is going to grow right into his butt.)

Old Man: So I saw a cookie missing in the cookie jar.  Did you take it?
Pinocchio: Yes, father, and I'm sorry.
Old Man: Oh, that's okay.  If you lie to me, I'll still believe you.
Pinocchio: Oh no, I won't lie.
Old Man: Maybe you should try it.  You might get away with it.

Flashback: That Family Guy ep aired back in 2005 and I remember talking this guy Riley about it.

Riley: I thought the nose was going to grow, and then it was going to cut away.

Aug. 27 Answering machine: I called someone to leave a message.  As I was hanging up, I I kind of screamed when I saw a spider crawling on my desk.  I'm sure the answering machine recorded my scream.  It wasn't too loud.  lol.

Aug. 28 Charity: My little brother was watching Ellen Degeneres because former President Bill Clinton was on.  Prior to it, they showed clips about this woman named Sherry.  She's a teacher at this innercity school and she gave them clothes and backpacks.  She was on Ellen, and Ellen got Target to donate $100,000 to the school. 

Justin Beiber came on a month later, and donated $100,000 to the school.  Then $100,000 worth of toys to the kids.  He also performed for them.  How nice.

Family Guy: Here's the clip of the old perverted guy Herbert winning Justin Beiber concert tickets.  My brother found it.

DJ: Congratulations, you're caller #5.  You're going to see Justin Bieber.
Herbert: Oh, sweet Jesus!  Yes, Jesse I won!  "Never say never!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gQf0k_iyh8

Aug. 29 Law of attraction: The other day I was talking to one of the servers about Champix.  It's like Nicorette and it helps you stop smoking.  Another server had told me she quit smoking because of Champix.  Later that day I was going through my newspaper clippings I collected.  This article was back in 2007 and it mentioned Champix.

Movie review:
I was going through those clippings and found the Fighting and Never Back Down movie reviews.  I recycled them.  I want to tell you about Jason McBride's review of Never Back Down.  The article was titled: "Fists up!  Camera phones on!"  In the movie, there are cell phones recording the fights.

A line in the article was: "Forget Big Brother- it's Little Brother you should worry about."  lol.  It did mention the Karate Kid and at the end of the article it said: "Mr. Miyagi would not be pleased."  lol.

Free Ride: I found these articles I clipped out about this TV show called Free Ride.  It's a comedy about a guy who graduated out of college after 4 yrs, and moves back home.  It stars Josh Dean.  On imdb.com, it says he's from BC, but in the newspaper articles, it goes into detail about how he was raised in Edmonton.

It did bring some flashbacks of how FOX was hoping this show would work because Malcolm in the Middle was ending, and they needed a new comedy.  The put this new show right after American Idol Free Ride lasted only 6 episodes.  They only made those as a test.  If it did well after 6, they will make more.

I remember writing a review of it when this came out in 2006: "He bumps into 3 people he knew from high school in 1 day.  I'd be lucky if I bump into one person from high school once a month."  I recycled those TV show articles.  Here's a clip of two of the actors joking and dancing around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2lIExER5wQ

Michael Phelps: The Olympic swimmer was on 60 Minutes a couple of months ago.  Anderson Cooper was interviewing him.  I saw it.  It was kind of funny.  After MP was caught smoking pot, he can't swim.

MP: I had gotten so lazy.  I was waking up at 11 in the morning and then I played video games all day.  Then I saw The Hangover, and my friends and I decided to go to Las Vegas.
AC: Because you saw a movie?
MP: Yeah.

Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilSoqfHsQnc

Autism: I had also clipped out a few articles about autism.  Today I found an uplifting story in the Edmonton Journal.  Kenn Viselman created The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure.  He had worked for Thomas the Tank Engine and a mom of an autistic 6 yr old boy wrote to him.

KV: She tells me how he's in a catatonic state all day and yet, when Thomas segments come on, he seems to stop.  Do you have anything to send him?

KV got some stuff like a T-shirt from his office.  A few weeks later he got a package: "There's a picture of this boy wearing this one and only shirt that I had in my stockroom.  The note's from the mother and the mother says, 'you don't know how you've changed my life.'  She opens it up, pulls out the thing, the kids looks at the mother, stops shaking and says, 'Choo Choo.' 

It's the first word that he's ever spoken- he grabs the shirt, puts it on, wears it for 6 days; she has to bathe him in it.  In that moment, I understand the power that children's television has."

Aug. 30 Friends: I bumped into my friend Judith on the bus and we talked for 5 min.  That was nice.

Shopping: I stopped by The GAP after work, and there's a sale on their perfume.  30% off.  I like the So Pink one and it costs $30.  I went home to do the math, and 30% off 30 is 9.  $30-$9= $21.  That's too much for perfume.  If you want to smell good, go to the Bath and Body Works store and buy a whole bunch of scents with that money.

Sept. 1 The Bookseller: I was taking the bus to a job interview when I saw a used bookstore called the Bookseller.  It's on Whyte Ave.  I called them to see if they will buy my Twilight book, and they said no.

http://thebookseller.ca/app/

Sept. 4 The Listener: I read in the Globe and Mail that there's going to a 4th season of this show.  I screamed.  It's like the little show that could. 

No comments: