Sunday, September 9, 2012

research analyst/ unemployment/ business women































Aug. 20 Research analyst: I thought up this idea the other day about being a research analyst.  I like researching and analyzing.  But what does a research analyst do?  I found this website:

"...gather market intelligence and present it in a way that your customers or colleagues can understand."

They work with numbers and words, so Excel skills are important.  Writing is a bonus, but accuracy and being detail- oriented is more important.  It's good to have a background in the industry they are covering.

http://careers.guardian.co.uk/so-what-does-a-research-analyst-do-exactly

eHow: This is more of how to be research analyst in business.  Here are the first 3 tips.

1. Get a degree in finance.
2. Get an entry level job in the research analysis in a big company.  The title will be "research associate."
3. Get an MBA.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2068952_become-research-analyst.html

Wise Geek:
This site says like other sites is to read a lot of data, and analyze it.  There are critical thinking and technical thinking skills.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-research-analyst.htm

Unemployment: Carol Brown sent me this informative article "12 Telling Studies done on the Unemployed."  #1 reason, Did you know that people who are collecting unemployment insurance are more likely to look harder for work than people who aren't eligible for these benefits?  That's right in my case when I was unemployed for months back in 2010.  Remember those emails where I wrote about my job search?

#3 is that using the internet to look for a job reduces the time for unemployment by 25%.  In 2009 when I was passing out resumes, I didn't get hired until 10 months in.  I only got 2 interviews.  When I was unemployed in 2010, I was able to get so many interviews because there were all these job ads that said they were hiring.

The article talked about things that I already knew or read elsewhere like how youth unemployment can affect them years later on.  If they don't gain experience now, they can't make as much money now or later.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/08/16/12-telling-studies-done-unemployed/

Aug. 21 Deal with a boss: Jay Smith sent me this article "8 Ways to Deal with a Boss You Don't Get Along With."  The tips are good like offer a solution like tell your boss who's micromanaging you to only ask how the project is coming once a day instead of more than once.

Make note of positive interactions with your boss so you can at least tolerate this person.  Write down negative interactions as a record if your boss is really bad.  If you read it over after a couple of weeks and realize it's just him chewing with his mouth open, it doesn't really affect how you work.  The last solution is to move if all those other tips don't work.

http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/07/17/8-ways-to-deal-with-a-boss-you-dont-get-along-with/

Aug. 23 Job interview: The other day I applied to this office, they called back, and I did the interview all in one day.

The pros:

1. It was in downtown.
2. The shifts are on weekdays, so I can work on the restaurant on the weekends.
3. There are benefits.
4. Big company.  There is stability and room to grow.
5. There are other tasks that I could learn.

The questions:

1. Can you do the job? Yes.  It was data entry and scanning.
2. Will you like it?  Maybe.  I did ask if I can work one day to try it out like that other time at this office.  They said yes.
3. Will you fit in?  Yes.  It seems laid back.  It wasn't an office, more like a run down labor department.  A little industrial- like.  That's not a bad thing.

They said they will make a decision on Wed.  It's now Thurs. and they haven't called back.  I don't think I got the job, but that's okay. 

Job search: I did find out where this other office was because it was in the same building.  I'll research that other company.  I have now applied for that company.

I was going through my closet to get to this old news file I had.  It's these newspaper clippings I collected.  I found one from a Chinese newspaper that my mom gave me.  It was to be working at a call centre.  I think I applied there once, and didn't get a call back.  I think I may have applied in again in 2007 at a staffing agency, but I didn't pass the math test.

I think I then applied in 2009 and the shifts ended late at 11pm so I didn't go there.  I applied again today.  

Aug. 26 Always get info: Today was a coincidence.  I got a call from this restaurant and I thought it was for this location that's kind of far.  I called back and asked which location, and it was one that was easier to get to.

I got another call from another place and I thought it was really far away.  I called them back to ask where it was, and it was close by.  Always get your information about a job because you might miss out on something.

Business women: Alissa Alvarez sent me this article "11 Brilliant Businesswomen Who Were Way Ahead of their Time."  I thought it was going to mention Oprah Winfrey, but it didn't.  There are a couple of African-American women like Madam CJ Walker who made shampoo and Maggie L. Walker who is the first woman to run a bank in the US.

I did learn some things like Christine De Pizan is the first woman author in the 1400s.  Most of these women are in history like 18th century.

http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/11-brilliant-businesswomen-who-were-way-ahead-of-their-time/

Linked In: Jasmine Hall sent me this article "17 Unspoken Rules of Linked In Etiquette."  This is a good article and the etiquette could be used on all social media.  Like if you won't do this in person, then don't do it online.  This site is professional, so always be professional with photos, updates, don't spam, get into fights.

There are some specific things for the site like write recommendations, and don't think it's all about you.  Always write back even if you don't know the answer, just say so.

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2012/07/22/17-unspoken-rules-of-linkedin-etiquette/

Bad Habits: Helene Schmidt sent me this article "13 Habits that May be Sabotaging Your Career."  It was an easy read.  There are things like gossip.  There was also blaming others.  It did ask how you can have done things better?  You can't control what others do, but what you do.  I know that.

There are some that are in the same category like procrastination, being late for deadlines, because it affects how others work if they're waiting for you.

It did mention "never letting go of work."  You have to take breaks and get "a fresh outlook."  The last one was "resisting change" and if you work at a place long enough, it's going to change.  Yeah, and a lot has happened at my restaurant.
http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/07/18/13-habits-that-may-be-sabotaging-your-career/

Aug. 27 Boycotts: Jay Smith sent me this article "6 Business Boycotts that Actually Worked."  Yesterday I was watching The Simpsons episode about that teacher's strike.  Boycotts and strikes are alike to affect change. #1 is Montgomery Bus Boycott where Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus to a white man.  Black citizens boycotted the buses for 381 days and then the Supreme Court integrated the buses.

FLOC's Mt. Olive Pickle's Boycott had foreign workers live off poor wages and conditions like "modern-day slavery."  It said: "After a decade of organizing and five years boycotting the company, the union was victorious and a collective bargaining agreement was signed by Mt. Olive and its growers."

Good for them, though it took like 5 yrs of boycotting. 

http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/08/26/6-business-boycotts-that-actually-worked/

No comments: