Thursday, September 20, 2012

research/ fun videos/ possession on TV

Aug. 15 Research: I'm switching gears.  I've been using my left-brain to do my job search, and my right-brain for some counseling. 

Let's do something fun, like write my script which I haven't done in a couple of months.  I have to find out where to get bullet proof vests.  You can get it on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Body-Armor-/102537/i.html

On Wikipedia, it said that in all Canadian provinces except British Columbia, Manitoba, and Alberta, it is legal to wear and buy bullet proof vests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_vest

Aug. 21 Memorization: Tim Handorf sent me this article "In Praise of Memorization: 10 Proven Brain Benefits." Memorization trains your brain to remember, challenges your brain, and helps you focus.

"If foundational concepts and information are grasped, students can move on to bigger and better things, rather than spending time looking up words or doing simple math in a calculator."

Fun videos: Jay Smith sent me this article "8 Things You Should Never Do at the Office."  It provides tips and funny videos.  Some are obvious like don't have sex at work, get drunk, gossip, sleep, or play pranks.  Then there are the crazy ones like don't go on a killing spree.

Don't have a nervous breakdown.  I then saw the 15 sec video clip from the movie Half Baked.  I've heard of it.  The video is where a guy quits his job at a fast food place by saying into the microphone to the customers: "F--- you, f--- you, f--- you, you're cool.  I'm out."

Me: Oh yeah, that was also done on Britney Spears video "I Wanna Go" in the beginning where she's at a press conference. 

http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/07/16/8-things-you-should-never-do-at-the-office/

Aug. 28 Recession: Jay Smith sent me this article called "15 Hidden Ways the Recession is Shaping Us."  Reading the article is like the saying: "It's like a train wreck.  It's so bad, but I can't take my eyes away from it."

Some I know already and some aren't all bad.  #1 was that women are spending money on beauty products so they can attract a man to take care of them.  I have read elsewhere that women buy some makeup to make themselves feel better without spending too much money on a lipstick.  Lots of people are starting their own businesses.  Some had delayed divorces because it's expensive, but some said that the recession made their marriage stronger.

Domestic violence and child abuse have increased, loss of sleep, overall health is not good because they don't have insurance or can't afford medication. 

http://www.onlinebusinessdegree.org/2012/08/21/15-hidden-ways-the-recession-is-shaping-us/

Possession on TV: There's the new movie out called The Possession and people compare it to The Exorcist because it's about a young girl who's being possessed by a demon.  There was a movie called The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

However, I am reminded of the TV show Angel ep called "I've Got You Under My Skin."  (I had to look the title up.)  It was in the first season and I was 14 when I saw it.  I was very impressed.  I watched it again when I was 22, and was still impressed.  The ep was creative with it's unpredictable plot twists.

Angel, Wesley, and Cordelia find a family where one of the members is possessed.  There is a dad, mom, 10 yr old son, and 8 yr old daughter.  You think the dad is possessed.  Then it turns out, it's the son who's possessed.  Didn't expect that one.  Angel and Wesley perform an exorcism.  They need a box to put the demon in it (like in The Possession.) 

The box has to made with this certain kind of wood, made by blind monks, which is impossible to find.  Cordelia goes to the magic shop and buys the only box that's closest to it.  The demon is exorcised, and then it smashes and breaks right through the box. 

Angel and Wesley have to hunt down the demon and they talk to him.

Demon: I wasn't trying to kill the boy.  I was trying to kill myself.  When I possess someone, I have their soul.  When I possess his body, it was blackness.  Nothing was there and I couldn't take it anymore.
Angel kills the demon.

Later that night, the boy tries to kill his little sister by burning her room.  Angel saves the girl.  The son is taken away in a police car.

The Possession

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431021/

Sept. 3 Dreams: Corrine Smith sent me this article "7 Common Dreams and What they Actually Mean."  This is a fun article like talking about dreaming about being in school or being chased.  If you're being chased in your dreams, you may be avoiding something in real life.

http://www.onlinepsychologydegree.net/2012/08/08/7-common-dreams-and-what-they-actually-mean/

Phones: Sarah Johnson sent me this article "10 Places to get a Phone Number without using Google."  There's the whitepages.com and yellowpages.com, but have you heard of switchboard.com?  I haven't.  Use these tips if Google isn't working.

 http://www.homephoneservice.org/blog/2011/10-places-to-get-a-phone-number-without-using-google/

Sept. 5 Ivy League: Linda Ross sent me this Info Graphic "Ivy League Facebook-Off."  It really talks about how much those big famous schools like Harvard, Yale, and Columbia accept how many students, and how much the tuition costs a year.  It also showed how much men and women they accept, and it's 50/50.

Female directors: Rose King sent me this article "Top 10 Female Film Directors of All Time."  It mentions Sofia Coppola (The Virgin Suicides), Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight), Nora Ephron (Harry Met Sally), and Kathryn Bigelow who is the first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Director in the Hurt Locker.

http://www.bestonlinecolleges.com/blog/2012/the-top-10-female-film-directors-of-all-time/

Sept. 7 Sign: I found this old note from 2011.  I should make a sign that says "Where the magic happens" and put it in my home office.  The saying is often said on the TV show Cribs where MTV goes to a celebrity's house.  They're at the bedroom and you have to say that. 

On the Rick Mercer Report,  RM goes into Jack Layton's home.  It was when JL was still alive in 2010, RM said that when they're in the bedroom.

Comparisons: Also on my notes, it said this:

"What if?" episodes: On Desperate Housewives, there is an ep of "What if?"  What if Susan stay married to Karl after he cheated on her.  She would have gained a lot of weight, then lost it, and Karl would have still left her months later.  Mike would have met and married someone else.  So Susan made a good decision by kicking Karl out when he cheated on her.

It was done on Buffy in the ep called "The Wish."  It's where Cordelia wishes Buffy never came to Sunnydale.  Vampires then rule the place, and Cordelia gets killed.  Xander and Willow become vampires.

Busy plots: I want to add on Desperate Houswives, the show doesn't seem very busy.  There are 4 story lines for each housewife and it's cohesive. 

Sept. 8 Natty Zavitz: I was reading a Globe and Mail essay by the actor Natty Zavitz.  He writes about auditioning McDonald's commercial.  Then he says he was on Degrassi for 3 yrs as Bruce the Moose from Lakehurst.  I then thought: "Is he the bully?"

I then looked him up, and I was right.  Oh yeah, I remember him.

 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2827495/

No comments: