Thursday, June 7, 2012

TV production companies/ social media/ Zach Lipovsky


May 29 TV production companies: I found this note on my desk.  It listed all these TV production companies.

A-Channel: This note must be really old, because I looked it up and A- Channel is now CTV Two since 2008.  Same with Access channel.

CBC: I checked out Edmonton job openings and there's only one for a business manager.  I did pitch my script to them.

Wild TV Inc: I checked them out and all they air are hunting and fishing.  Their office is also really far away from where I live so I'm not going to apply there.  

Global TV: I pitched my script to them last month and I sent in my resume.  However, they said they already hired someone before I applied.

Vicom Media Productions: I went to the website www,vmp.ca and nothing was there.  I called the number and the mail box was full.  Then I decided to go to the location in downtown and it wasn't there anymore.  Earlier I emailed them my script pitch years ago.  I tried to send an email to them, but it didn't send.

I did go to Linked In to find the people who used to work there.  I connected with one person.

Writer's Corner: I was going through my old emails and the Writer in Residence Marty Chan has emailed me about the Writer's Corner.  It's held on the last Sunday of every month at the Stanley A. Milner library where they have a writer talk about writing and give tips.  It's free.

http://www.epl.ca/interests/adults/readers_writers/writers_corner

Twitter: Gordon Smith sent me this article "10 Ways Movie Studios Leverage Twitter."  It's about using Twitter to create buzz for your movie.  You can create contests, live tweets, and direct interaction to the audience about this new movie. 

I have www.thevertexfighter.blogspot.com.  When it's being produced, then I will create a Twitter feed.  I just tweeted for people to go to the Vertex blog.

 http://www.internetprovider.net/blog/2012/10-ways-movie-studios-leverage-twitter/

Fundraising: Sheryl Owen sent me this article "10 Unique Ways Churches Raise Money."  I read it thinking about getting funds for my script.  lol.  I've got the TV producer's mind.  The article wasn't really unique.  Car washes, book sales, hold a bazaar, it's all been done.  If you work at a church or charity, read this:

http://www.changeofaddress.org/blog/2012/10-unique-ways-churches-raise-money/

May 30 Credo Entertainment: In my notes I had written this down.  I went to the official site, there was nothing.  I went on imdb.com and they had produced the show The Adventures of Shirley Holmes.  I love that show.  My siblings and I watched it when we were kids.  According to the site, the last thing they made was in 2000.

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0046907/

I called the phone number listed here, and it's not in service.  I'll cross this off my list.

http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=2276384_Credo_Entertainment_Corp_Winnipeg_MB

Social media: I use Facebook to look for a job by saying in my Facebook status update that I'm looking for an office assistant job.  I added all my college writing and NAIT friends and asked about jobs.

I'm using Linked In a bit for my job search.  I seem to be using that to get my script produced more because I connect with producers there.  I use Twitter even less. 

I'm still learning how to use Linked In and Twitter.  I've been getting these daily emails from this Linked In group I joined, called Freelance Writers.  I then learned that I could get weekly emails from them, so I clicked on it.  I then noticed that I have been getting weekly emails from this Linked In writer's group called Two Bits.  I know I subscribed to them, but I didn't know how frequently I was getting them.  I learn by doing so I need to explore the website some more.

Writer job ads: I clicked on the links provided on the Freelance Writer's threads.  They're writer job ads.  I think this one's spam because it provides tips and the website looks like spam.

http://globaljobopenings.com/freelance-writing-jobs/?goback=.gde_101577_member_119125497

Here's another for Realwritingjobs.com.  You have to pay $12 for a one-time fee.  I read a comment on the thread that you can't be guaranteed you will make money from the job ads on this site.

http://www.realwritingjobs.com/cb/GetPaidToWrite.php?meta_adtracking=vctexas&from=&vtid=&up=

Saying: I'm thinking about the saying "Insanity is doing the same thing over again, but expecting different results."  I'm doing something different by actually wading through these Freelance Writer's job ads.  I've just been letting them pile up in my inbox and not reading it.

Job sites: I clicked on those Linked In writer job ad links, and it just leads to other job sites, like Career Builder and Job Finders:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/jobs/keyword/writer

http://job-finders.org/writing-jobs/writing-jobs/

Writer forums: Two Bits writing group on Linked In is more about writers giving tips about writing and discussing writing.  It could be about how to be more creative and talking about characters.  Just reading this forum inspires me to write.

I googled Writing Forums and found this:

http://www.writingforums.org/

Blogging: While I was going through those Freelance Writer threads, I did find this "Five Principles to Better Blogging."  The tips are like how you never know what's going to go viral.  One post will get so much traffic, and then a few days later, no one's coming to your site.

She also said that you should keep everything on topic about your blog.  For example I have one personal blog badcb.blogspot.com and one about my script The Vertex Fighter.  However, my personal blog is a little more organized.  One post is about jobs, one post is about TV, movies, and one post is about comedy.

I have thought about what she said about making multiple blogs like one blog should be about jobs, another about TV and movies, and another blog about comedy.  If people do regularly read my blog, they will eventually figure out what to read.  For example: "I only read it for Tracy's job articles so I'll only read that once a week."

http://cassandrapoe.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/make-your-blog-better/?goback=.gde_101577_member_116098910

Zach Lipovsky: This must be the law of attraction working.  Awhile back I talked about the reality show On the Lot about filmmakers competing to make a film that will be produced to be a feature film.  Today I read in The Globe and Mail, about film making and it mentioned Zach Lipovsky and how he was on that show. 

He's 28 yrs old and he's from Vancouver.  I remember his face and that he was Canadian.  Now that I think about it, he was only like 23 yrs old to be on this show.  That's really good to be so young and talented.  He lasted for 7 weeks.  Right now he's working on a historical action fantasy called Dogs of War.  Check him out and his films here:

http://www.zachlipovsky.com/ZachLipovksy/About_Me.html

No comments: