Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Alan Kingsberg/ FAVA/ freelancing infographic

Jun. 2 Alan Kingsberg: I was going through my Freelance Writer's group emails and there was a link about the TV writer Alan Kingsberg.  He holds a class about TV writing, and his students have written for shows like 30 Rock and New Girl.  Check out his site:

http://alankingsberg.com/?goback=.gde_101577_member_115353791

I checked out his credits on imdb.com and he has written some episodes for Are You Afraid of the Dark?  I used to watch that show back in 1994 when I was 9 yrs old.  Then Family Channel played repeats and I tuned in here and there when I was a teenager.  I read the synopsis of the episodes "The Tale of Many Faces", "The Tale of the Photo Finish", and "The Tale of Jake the Snake."

They sound like really good stories.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455468/

Halo Publishing: I was also going through Freelance Writers, I found Halo Publishing.  It's self-publishing.  I have cut out some articles from the newspaper about self-publishing before.  If you're interested, go here:

http://halopublishing.com/about-halo-publishing.html

Wise Grey Owl: I found this site where they "support indie authors and writers."  There are a bunch of books to check out here:

http://www.wisegreyowl.co.uk/php/content.php?PageName=Home&Books=Promotion

eBook: I've also read about some writers advertising to download their book on an Amazon Kindle or other eBooks available.

The Vertex Fighter music: I was thinking that the song  "No She Didn't" by Miguel should be used in The Vertex Fighter.  It's a fast song that you can dance and fight to in the TV movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89QvjHBr16o&feature=related

Jun. 3 Priming: I read in 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot about how to be more creative.  He talked about priming and that is preparing yourself to be more creative.  So I've been reading old writing newspaper articles I clipped out, and those Freelance Writer group emails.  I have also written about other movies and how it's related to my script.

Writing: So today I worked on my Rain script for 30min.  I was on the computer rewriting a couple of scenes. 

FAVA: I found this FAVA 2010-2011 education calender on my desk.  Now I remember that Marty Chan gave this and the Lit Fest brochure when I met with him.  There are classes like Producing, Video Kitchen (to make a short film), Sound Design, Acting and the Camera, Main Course, Screenwriting, and Doc Shop.

The Screenwriting class is taught by Conni Massing.  I had talked with her on the phone when she was the Writer in Residence at the library back in 2009.  The class is like $300 for 4 months.  There are writing courses at the University of Alberta's continuing education classes that are held in Enterprise Square.  I get those fliers.

There is the Screenwriting class at Grant MacEwan.  The thing is, I'm cheap.  I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on classes.  Then I'll spend $12 on a library card and check out screenwriting books.

Jun. 5 Dreamspeakers.org: I was going through the new Avenue magazine and there was a festival section.  One was about a Dreamspeakers Film Festival.  It's for Aboriginal filmmakers.  I noticed the Every Emotion Costs short film.  I see the screencap of the back of the head and thought: "Is that Nathaniel Arcand from Heartland?" 

I saw a bit of the trailer, and it looked really good.  I was right, it was Arcand.  I have met him in 2008 when he dropped by at the Soup place and I asked him if he was on the TV show Heartland.  That was so cool that I met him.

Nite Fall Studios: The short film is also produced by Nite Fall Studios: 

http://www.nitefallstudios.com/

Zeitgeist Films: This is New York distribution company.  It sounded familiar and I read it in a newspaper article.  I check the site, and there's no contact info.

Submission: The important thing is that I submitted my resume to a production company.  An even bigger thing is that I submitted my The Vertex Fighter script to this big production company.  There was this really long form I had to fill out.

Writing: I feel good after that submission.  A production company had asked for a 1 page synopsis and I wrote it.  Then I submitted to this production company today that asked for a 250 word synopsis.  I then had to shorten 600-something words to 250.  It was hard because I was trying to cut out words in the synopsis.

I then got kind of frustrated and took a little break by sending my weekly email/ blog post.  I went back to the 250 words, and decided to start fresh.  Just think about the characters and the important plot points.  Then I did the word count and it was exactly 250 words.  lol.

American Cannibals: I was going through my notes and found "American Cannibals about 2 writers pitching their reality TV show."  I checked it on imdb.com and it may be a mockumentary (a documentary trying to pass off as real).  Maybe it's a real documentary.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780468/

Freelancing infographic: I found this through Freelance Writer's group.  This is a cool and fun infographic that shows the pros and cons of being a freelancer.  I didn't know that 60% of them were women, and 20% of freelancers have masters degrees.  IT freelancers make the most money.

It talked a lot of cons of how 8 in 10 freelancers didn't get enough work in 2009.  However, nearly 50% saw their incomes increase in the past year.
http://mashable.com/2012/03/04/freelancing-infographic/

Freelance tips: Here's a good article about being a freelancer.  One tip is about taxes.  A tip is about don't send generic proposals to a company.  A writer's proposal is supposed to be unique.  It's kind of like a resume tip.  For each job you apply to, you should tailor your resume to the job ad.

"Choose a genre that you know, instead of what's popular."  Work on being an expert in your genre.

https://www.contentspree.com/blog/3-excellent-tips-professional-freelance-writer/?goback=.gde_101577_member_111724430

Blog: I found this blog written by La Luna.  She's an African-American woman in NYC who mainly writes book reviews.  I read a bit of the post "The Wave" by Todd Strasser that analyze how the holocaust occured and the Germans didn't know about it.  It talked about a history class experiment that taught how "blind obedience" can occur.  Here's the blog:

http://lalunareaders.blogspot.ca/

Flashback: That reminds me in 2003, I was in social studies class that saw a movie about it.  It looks like it was shot in the 1980s and how a history class studied the holocaust and the teacher does the experiment on them.

No comments: