Tuesday, June 19, 2012

follow your dreams/ career counseling/ behavior

Jun. 13 Follow your dreams: I was listening to the song by Jo Jo called "Fly Away."  Here's the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAZoHE4wRws&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Here are some Youtube comments about it:

Person: you were nothing but a waste of the two years i spent with uuh !! i regret it so much right now ..

Me: Chalk it up to experience and that you learned your lesson.  Also, I'm sure you did lots of other productive things in those 2 yrs.

Person 2: I choose "my dreams" and i regret it.. dreams are not always reality. Thought i had a plan but things turned out differently.. their is no going back in time. I think this is the hardest decision to make because you never know if things could have played out differently no matter which one you decided to choose. I think its better to follow your heart.

Me: That's inspirational.  "Dreams are not always reality" is true.

Person 3: ALWAYS follow your dreams. If you were meant to be with that person you will eventually....

Me: Oh that's nice and thoughtful.

Person 4: I'll always choose my dreams, even tho trying to follow your dreams is the hardest thing ever

Job markets: Jasmine Hall sent me this article "The 10 Worst Job Markets US Grads have Faced."  It's depressing and it's like looking at a train wreck.  It's so bad, but you can't take your eyes away from it.  The last 4 yrs were on the list.  There is a link to another article "10 Best Job Markets the US Grads have faced."

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2012/06/11/the-10-worst-job-markets-u-s-grads-have-faced/

The latest best job markets were 2000 and 2007.  If you read #7, there was a line: "As Bloomberg News recently pointed out, Democratic presidents have been responsible for much more job growth (nearly two-thirds in 50 years) than their Republican counterparts."

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2012/06/06/the-10-best-job-markets-u-s-grads-have-faced/

Business schools: Alissa Alvarez sent me this article "8 Ways B- schools have Reformed their Curriculum Post- Crisis.  Some things are good like "Making ethics education a top priority."  It also mentioned "encouraging entrepreneurship" and "emphasizing critical thinking."  That's an improvement.

The article was good because it had links to other sources if you want to get more in depth.
http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/8-ways-b-schools-have-reformed-their-curriculum-post-crisis/

Long-term planning: I started to think more in the long-term run.  When I did that new direction in Apr. where I started applying to TV production companies, I thought: "Will I still be doing this 6 months from now?"  I don't know.  After a month, I had applied to all the Edmonton TV production companies I could get to.

When I started the Telemarketer #1 job, it was a 6 month job.  I thought of: "If I work here for 6 months, I would have to put off my office job search for that time because I would be too busy.  I wouldn't have to look for a job and go to interviews.  Will I be sick of this job after 3 months?"  Alas, I was dismissed for not selling anything.

Then I started Telemarketer #2 job with low expectations.  It was mainly to confront my fear of rejection and failure.  If I get dismissed, I'm still standing.  I wasn't really upset about either of the job loss.

In 2010, I worked at Call Centre #4 for a day.  After my shift, I did think: "I can see myself working here in Dec."  I was dismissed after one day because 9 completes wasn't enough.  I was really angry about it, but I did get over it.

Imagination: It's about using your imagination when you think of taking a job offer.  Do you see yourself working there?  How do you feel if you say yes to the job?  Do you feel excited about it?  Or do you feel eh about it?

Jun. 14 Job interview: I went to a job interview today.  It was really annoying to find the place.  Fortunately I had a fully- charged cell phone with lots of min. on it.  It was raining a little, but I did manage to find the place.  They said everybody has a hard time looking for the place and they always call them.

The people who interviewed me were nice.  They asked good questions and what I would do in this real workplace problem that has occurred before.  I had this impression that there were a lot of applicants.  The hours are good, pay is good.  I can still work at the restaurant on the weekends.

Jun. 17 Mislead: It happened again.  I applied to a Kijiji ad to be an operations assistant, and I thought it would be an office assistant position.  Instead I get an email to be a mystery shopper.  One time I applied to an ad I saw in See magazine to be a personal assistant.  I got an email to be a mystery shopper.

Linked In: Another one of my NAIT friends confirmed me on Linked In.  She and the other classmate are both on this site and Facebook.

Jun. 19: Another NAIT friend confirmed me on Linked In.

Call back: I got a call from an office on Fri.  I called them back that day.  Then on Mon. I was to call them back, but when I got home, my mom took me to go clothes shopping for work.  Today I called them, though I assumed they probably already hired somebody else.  But they're still hiring.  I left another message.

The thing is, don't assume.  Ask to make sure.  If they don't call me back after this, then it's on them.

Career counseling: Today I went to my career counselor whom I haven't seen in 3 months.  I spent a few min. updating her about my new direction of applying to production companies.  She said it was a good move.

I also told her about my telemarketing jobs.  She said that's like customer service, but to another level because it's harder to sell over the phone.  At Telemarketer #2 job, my boss asked if I have heard of SFZ telemarketing.  Actually, I did.  I got a call from them back in 2011.  I didn't go for it when I learned that the shift ends at 10:15pm and then I would have to take 2 buses to get home.  I would have to wake up early the next day for my restaurant job.

SFZ telemarketing was also temporary like 6 months.  In 2011, I wasn't looking for temporary positions.  Now it's 2012, and it's okay if I work at temps. 

Behavior: It's interesting that the Career Counselor asked "How do you feel about it?"  I then mentioned Telemarketer Boss #1 who asks that.  CC also mentioned about attitude and habit.

Me: What's the difference between attitude and habit?
CC: Attitude is a belief.  Habit is an action.

The question is: "Am I like this because I think like this?  Or is it a force of a habit?"

She also says I could see a psychologist because her career counseling may not help me.  She gives me job advice and tips and how to find work.  A psychologist helps your behavior. 

No comments: