Sunday, June 17, 2012

producer/ Crescent Productions/ Xlibris

June 6 Producer: Today I met up with a TV producer to discuss development.  It was about 15 min. long.  I treated it like a job interview by preparing myself physically.  I dressed in a button- down shirt, and had washed my hair.  I also brought my resume and a notepad and pen to take notes.

I did my research and came in 10min early.  I pitched my The Vertex Fighter script, told him my educational background, and producers and writers I met and talked with.  I did some name dropping there.  lol.  

He had told me (like the other producers did) of how it's hard to get into the industry.  He told me to do other writing gigs and not just write for TV.  I told him I did submit stories to magazines and had 2 blogs.  He asked to read my blog and I wrote it down. 

I'm going to submit the synopsis and script to him because he asked.  I tried to print the submission form, but my printer is on the fritz again.  It did work a couple of weeks ago.  I pressed print, nothing came out, until hours later.

Social skills: He had told me where he was from and how he liked Edmonton.  Then he paused.  I have just been listening and saying "Yeah."  I then thought I should say something, so I said that I liked Edmonton for all the schools here and how there are lots of fun things to do here.

You need to build a rapport.

Productive: For my two days off, I've been very productive with spending hours pitching my script.

Jun. 9 Hubpages.com: Have you ever heard of Hubpages.com?  I may have, but I don't totally know.  I was reading my old Freelance Writer's group emails and read an article from there.  Hubpages is like a blog site, but you can get paid if you put ads on your site.

That's like Blogger.  Both sites talk about how you can find out how many people read your site on a daily basis, and comments.  I already have two blogs on Blogger, so this one may not be necessary.  Check it out:
http://hubpages.com/

Jun. 11 Linked In: This is the first time ever.  Someone invited me on Linked In, who wasn't a classmate of mine.  It's Kris Rurka, a casting director.  You can check out his work here:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1221685/

He's connected with 4 other producers I know.  I'm usually the one looking up producers on Linked In to connect with.

Call back: I got a call the other day to do a job interview.  Then today they called me saying they did some interviews already, and hired someone so I don't have to come.  That's okay and has happened before where I am to go to an interview, and they fill the position.

Creativity: I was going through my Freelance Writer email and found this link on how to be more creative.  Go to an art museum, go to live shows, go to literary readings, read all sorts of books, listen to different kinds of music.  I read and listen to all kinds of music  to be more creative.

Here's the inspirational post:

http://hiddenriverarts.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/defining-creativity/?goback=.gde_101577_member_121779044

It said to read the The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Artists-Way-Spiritual-Creativity/dp/0874776945

Kel Fulgham: I found this also on Freelance Writers group email.  This interview is to Kel Fulgham who wrote the novel The Sadist.  It talked about e-books and Amazon on publishing.  He is an African-American man.  He talked about having a full-time job and then writing on the side.

http://inktweet.com/kel-fulgham-on-his-writing-style-books-life-and-what-not/?goback=.gde_101577_member_121464468

Jun. 12 Blog: I found this also through Freelance Writers.  Kim Lee Patterson is a 17 yr old African- American girl talking about writing.  She says this:

"Earning a living is a MUST, whether you have a job you love, or one you love to hate. 'Being' who you’ve always wanted to be is a choice. A choice you and I both have to make."
http://writersforlife.wordpress.com/2012/05/27/what-do-you-want-to-be/?goback=.gde_101577_member_118997103

Novel:
I've been reading all these Freelance Writer's emails.  A lot of the links are about self-publishing and/ or how to get published.  There was The Book of Awesome by Neil Parischa who started a blog, and the book was his blog posts.  There are a lot of books where a person does something like spend a year doing this one activity, and then writes about it and gets published.

Is there anyone here who thinks Tracy's Blog should be turned into a book?  

Crescent Productions: I found this in my bookmarks.  It's more focused on making films about religion like Islam.  Aleem Karmali is a producer/ director.  It turns out he has: "twice received the Film and Video Arts Society's (FAVA) Lisa Trofimova Video Prize in 2002 and 2004."  I don't think this company is really for me.

However, I did watch his 2min short film Evasion.  It was very creative.  The story is a wife yelling at her husband.  He then kills her.  He parks his car and walks over to a bridge to see where he should dump the body.  A carjacker comes and steals the car and he picks up the bloody knife.

On the news, the carjacker is arrested for speeding.  The police found the body and charged him with murder too.  The husband is happy that he got away with murder.

http://www.crescentproductions.com/evasion.html 

Glenn Atyeo: He is a director I found on a Kijiji Ad he posted: "Do you want to bring your project to life?"  It was back in summer 2011.  You can look him up on my www.thevertexfighter.blogspot.com.  I emailed him a few times on his email address and he never got back to me.  So I emailed him again on Facebook this time.

Jun. 13 Submission: I've been trying to print out this submission release form a couple of times, and it doesn't work.  Today I went to the library to print it.  The librarian was very helpful.  She converted the pdf file to a Word file and was able to print it.  I thanked her.

I went home and filled out the form and faxed it.  Then I emailed my other material to the producer.

Xlibris: I found this brochure that I got from the self-publishing company called Xlibris.  I got a couple of phone calls from them before.  The brochure is really professional and glossy.  I got this years ago and am reading it now.

The website says you can retain all the rights to your book and you can earn royalties on every sale.  Here's the website:
http://www2.xlibris.com/about_xlibris.html

As a kid and teenager, I've love reading books.  Then I got older and liked to go on the internet to read about TV shows, movies, comment on TV shows and movies.  I like reading newspapers and internet articles.  I'm not really into reading or writing a novel.  I've mainly been focused on getting my script produced.

Jun. 14 Pros and cons: I emailed a producer my The Vertex Fighter script on Jun. 12.  Two days later he got back to me.  He emailed me back within 2 days, which is so fast.  The fastest a producer has ever gotten back to me within reading my script is like 3 weeks.  That's a pro.

The cons are that he criticized my script.  He said what a lot of other producers and writers have said before him: that I need to work on my dialogue.  

Short film: I had emailed Aleem Karmali to compliment him on his short film Evasion.  He emailed back: "Thanks! I appreciate it."

No comments: