Friday, January 21, 2011

2010 review/ financial lessons/ happiness

Jan. 19 2010 review: I was thinking about last year and I can list the bad things that happened.

1. My grandpa on my dad's side passed away in Aug.
2. My grandpa on my mom's side passed away in Nov.
3. I was unemployed for months and didn't make a lot of money.
4. I had my appendix out.

However, the deaths has pulled my family closer together. Even my appendix being removed, that made me realize my family really did care about me. My parents were with me at the hospital.

Being unemployed for months, has made me become more mentally and emotionally stronger. Getting interviewed, and not getting the job; getting hired and then dismissed has an effect on me. However, I keep going and applying.

Financial lessons: I also did learn a lesson. You have to save money because you don't know when you may not be able to work. Well I am a saver and it's easy for me to put money in the bank. What if you get laid off? I learned that back in 2006 when I first got laid off from Call Centre #1.

In 2009, I was thinking about what if I got laid off from the Soup place? I did get laid off in 2010. I had to mentally prepare myself for that. What if you can't get work for months? I never imagined that. From 2004-2009, it was easy for me to get a job and I was never out of work for months (unless I had to go to school full-time). The economy is still recovering.

What if you get sick? I never imagined I would get my appendix out. I live a healthy lifestyle. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. I eat healthy foods, exercise a bit. I missed two weeks of work because of my appendix. At least I got EI for that.

Census job: I got this in the mail. You can work as P/T Census enumerator for Statistics Canada. You're dropping off census questionnaires and interviewing people. It pays $14. 72- $18.06/hr. It's a seasonal job from Apr.- Aug. It's at least 20hrs a week. For more information, go to this site.

http://www.census2011.gc.ca/ccr04/ccr04_001a-eng.htm

Job search: I did a job interview at an optometrist clinic two weeks ago. They haven't called me back. It's safe to say I didn't get the job.


Blog email: Someone sent me this email from my blog. It's a list of job sites:

Hi Tracy,

We would love to share with you an article that we just posted on our own blog! (20 Best iPhone Apps for Job Hunting), is linked below and could be a fun way to share this announcement with your readers.


( http://www.onlinecertificateprograms.org/blog/2011/20-best-iphone-apps-for-job-hunting/ )

It has been a sincere pleasure to read your great content.





Thanks
Jena Ellis

Writing: I found this old email.

Me: Yeah, I've seen shows about dirty cops. But I also read in the newspaper recently about a cop seizing drugs, and then selling them back on the streets.

Sherry: They're people, like everyone else there's good ones and bad ones.

I saw one on CSI: NY where Det. Flack wrote how many grams there were when they seized the drugs. Then when it was counted it, it didn't add up. They had to dismiss the cop, and all the cases that the cop solved, they had to be looked into again.

Jan. 20 Happiness: Yesterday I only worked for a few hours because no one came into the restaurant. Today I worked split shifts and got more hours. I had a few hours between shifts so I mainly went to Chapters and read a book about Happiness. I think it's from The Idiot's Guide to series.

Write down things that you are grateful for. It's not sappy. The thing is with me, every time I rant about something, I always say: "Yeah, well at least..."

Job: The book discussed happiness at work. A lot of people are unhappy with their commute to work because it's taking time away from being with your family and friends. During that time, listen to music or call your friend on your phone (if you take the bus.) You can carpool with a friend.

There was a discussion about being a workaholic and there are 12 step programs for that.

Calenders: I will rant again about the Calender Club. My little brother said that they will sell their stuff by 75% off in Jan. Well they're still at 40% off. However, you can go to Chapters and you can buy day planners and calenders at 75% off.

Jan. 21 Actors: Does anyone remember Laura Prepon? She's the red headed woman Donna on That 70s Show. She was on Castle recently where she plays an actress researching her role as a cop. My sister pointed out she was on How I Met your Mother for a few episodes. I then remembered she was in that movie karla which is about the killer Karla Homolka.

Animals: I saw a little bit of Oprah, and there is this ape who can talk to humans. He points at this lexicon about words with pictures. He describes a pizza by pointing to words like bread, cheese, and meat. That is so cool. lol.

No comments: