Sunday, October 31, 2010

actors/ operations management/ Happy Halloween!

Oct. 27 Actors: I was on Yahoo and I see Jenna von Oy who played Six on the old TV sitcom Blossom. She is now 33 and gotten married to this Dell computer consultant. Aww...how nice.

I was watching Heartland, and I saw the actress Alberta Watson on. She was on Nikita (1997) TV show before.

I was watching Desperate Housewives, and I saw the grandma from True Blood guest- star as Tom's mother.

90210: I still have writer's block. I find this show very inconsistent with their quality of writing. Shows like The Mentalist and Criminal Minds where every episode is overall good. In the 90210 episode this week, there's a good part where Naomi is talking to her friend Silver about her rape. N's sister Jen overhears it on the baby monitor so that's good writing. The sisters don't get along, and N wouldn't tell her so the only way that J would know if she overheard it.

Then it's bad writing when Adrianna says: "I know my boundaries." My sister says: "This is coming from a girl who got pregnant as a teenager (gave the baby up for adoption) and had a drug overdose." A says that to her boyfriend so he would leave the room.

Then it's good writing when Silver and Navid overhears Adrianna talking to her manager over the camera audio. Then it's kind of unoriginal because earlier in the episode, Jen overhears information through technology.

Set up and payoff: There's a good set up and payoff. In earlier episodes, Ivy's mom is sleeping with Ivy's young friend. The friend sleeps with Ivy too. Then the friend tells Ivy in front of her mom, that he slept with both of them.

Unoriginal: A guy sleeping with a girl, and her mom has been done on The OC where Luke sleeps with Marissa and her mom Julie. It's a little different because Marissa finds out when she overhears Luke telling Ryan that.

Liam gets a job at this clothing store which is like Hooters. He's working with his shirt off. Then this woman who shops there feels sorry for him because he's working there because he lives in his car. She offers to let him live in her pool house as he does house work there for her. That's like Ryan living in the pool house in The OC.

Then it gets a plot twist when the mom has a daughter, and that daughter likes Liam.

Oct. 28 Memory documentary: I saw this Doc Zone episode called "Where did I put my my memory?" about memory. There are ways to improve it like acronyms, sing a song that rhymes, reading a book over again. There was talks about in the future about taking drugs to improve your memory and having a hippo-campus implant in your brain.

There's the saying of: "Your brain is a muscle. Use it or lose it." There are "brain gyms" for senior citizens who take quizzes on computers to keep their brain sharp. Crossword puzzles are good because it forces you to recall information.

Job: I feel like when I'm at work, I am at a "brain gym." For the past 5 days that I have been training, I've been learning something totally new to me.

Operations management: It has made me think about that time about how to bring down Wal- mart. I thought to get a job there, and give bad customer service and people will hate you and then will hate Wal-mart. There are other ways like making mistakes at work.

In my job training, if you make mistakes at work like putting in the wrong address to deliver something, it will cost money. The person who's delivering is the driver. The driver makes money by making as many deliveries as possible. If he goes to the wrong address, he's wasting gas, time, and money. He's losing money and so is the company.

When organizing the deliveries, they place the things in the truck a certain way. The things that get delivered first will be put at the front for easy access. If you go to the wrong address, then you can't deliver it. You will have to keep going to other houses to deliver the other items, and you will have to keep moving that first item out of the way. It's about working efficiently.Stress: I am stressed out from training. However, I think I will be more stressed out when I'm on the computer actually applying my knowledge.

Job lessons: Here are some job lessons I learned.

1. The more training a job gives you, the more difficult the job is: Unless you're smart and can pick it up fast. There are jobs that don't need that much training like working at a clothing store or restaurant. If you need to learn how to use the cash register or spot shoplifters, than there is some training involved. (That's what I learned from this office job.)

2. The bigger the company is, the more work there is: It depends if you stick to one part of the department. When I worked at a big department store, I felt really overworked. I have a friend who used to work at a big department store and she never felt overworked.

3. It really depends how the company is run: I worked at the Soup place and it was small like 10 people in total working. When 1 or 2 people didn't show up for work, it puts more work on the others that are there.If there is a big store with 50 people working any given day, 1 or 2 people who don't show up for work, it doesn't have that big of an effect on the employees who are there.

Good news: I was reading 24, and it said there's a place called the Homegirl Cafe where women who were in gangs now work as waitresses there. That's good to turn their lives around.

A Toronto strip club are fighting human trafficking. They will put posters on the walls and DJs will read warnings every couple of hours. It's about awareness of a problem.

Bret Easton Ellis: He is the author of American Psycho. I was reading an interview with him in 24. He seems very down to earth and he got into writing as a hobby, and he was more interested in being in a band. He has written other books, but everybody knows him for one book. He says that's okay because he's not really concerned about his career. He says that every time he puts out his credit card, they immediately think of American Psycho.

Oct. 29 Blog: I managed to have some fun today. We were sent home early from work because we were done our training. I went on Facebook today and I saw one of my friends put her blog links up on her information on the left side. I thought: "I should do the same" and I did.

Oct. 30: Happy Halloween everybody!

No comments: