Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Professional Writing/ Parodos Communications/ questions



May 15 Professional Writing: Yesterday was my day off.  I was thinking about my “Using your college education” email/ blog post.  I then looked over my folders where I kept 2 yrs of Professional Writing assignments.  I kept some of my books.

I did put up a few of my essays on my blog.  I do value my Professional Writing college education.  There are some handouts I can reuse and recycle.


NAIT: When I went to NAIT’s Graphic Communications program, after that year, I didn’t graduate.  I reused and recycled all my papers and sold all my books.

Arts and Cultural Management: I went to this program at MacEwan and I took 3 classes.  2 of the 3 classes were used as electives for my Professional Writing diploma.  I recycled my assignments and sold my one textbook.

May 21 Linked In: I then thought about putting up all my classes I took in the Professional Writing program on my Linked In Profile.  It could help so I typed it into the profile.

Year 1: First semester

Grammar for Writers
Research Skill for Writers
Critical Reading and Writing
Creative Writing
Mac Skills for Writers

Second semester:

Critical Reading and Writing (continued)
Distilled Prose
Proofreading and Copyediting
Introductory rhetoric

Year 2: First semester:

Applied Grammar for Writers
Professional Prose
Legal Issues for Writers
Short Fiction Forms
Introductory Psychology

Second semester:

Professional Prose (continued)
Computer Research for Writers
Project Lead
Writing for the Ear
Basic HTML for Writers
May 25 Public Relations: One of my Professional Writing classmates took this course at MacEwan.  She said it was very helpful and useful in getting her a career.  I looked up the course list to see what they will be learning:

Public Relations Fundamentals and Practice is an overview of the public relations profession: what it is, how it is practiced and the role of a public relations practitioner. Students learn that public relations is a profession with its own distinct body of theory and knowledge. Students examine the history, role and purpose of public relations in society and examine the fundamental concepts of strategic communication. As well, students are introduced to the ethics and professionalism inherent in the practice and process of public relations.”

Fundamentals of Business: This course is an overview of the functional areas of business, such as marketing, operations, accounting, finance, information technology and general management. Topics include small business management, ethics, government and international business. Students prepare and present a basic group business plan. Restricted to students in MacEwan University's Public Relations program and the Human Resources Management program. Chair approval is required for any other student.

There is PR and Digital Media (computer class), Writing Fundamentals, Writing PR (writing class), and Integrated Marketing Communications (marketing class). 

My opinion: Now that I read it and got more information, I see how similar it is to Professional Writing.  Look at the writing and computer classes in the PR program.  I have learned that in Professional Writing.

May 28 Parodos Communications: I was reading the Edmonton Journal business section and this appeared.  I went to the site and it’s about “Corporate Storytelling Experts”:

Marliss Weber is the principal behind Parodos Inc. She is a writer with fifteen years experience in journalism, broadcasting, and corporate communications.

What is corporate storytelling?

People have been communicating with stories since the beginning of time, and it’s one of the most effective ways to communicate information in a memorable way.

Corporate storytelling uses narrative tools to communicate the key messages, goals and ideals of a company or organization. Compelling stories are an excellent way to stand out, be heard, and be remembered.

Corporate stories can be told for a variety of purposes:
  • the media
  • brand building
  • relationship building
  • teaching/learning
  • team building
  • visioning
We take you through every step of the process that you require, from planning and strategy to the writing, production and distribution of your stories.
We use the following media to get your stories heard:
  • print
  • web
  • video
  • social media
  • traditional media (newspaper, television, radio)
Jun. 2: Looking back, I remember when I was in Professional Writing.  I was so happy.  I was finally going to school where I was good at and liked all my subjects.  Well Professional Prose and Proofreading and Copyediting were kind of hard.  Overall, it was like taking 100% English.

When I was attending Writing, it was the MacEwan Centre of the Arts.  It was like going to art college.  I wanted to go to Victoria Performing Arts high school when I was a teen, but my parents wouldn’t let me.  So in a way, I did get to an art school, if not in high school, at least in college.

Questions: If you won a $1 million, would you still keep going to college? 

If I was at NAIT, I would quit.  At Writing, I would stay.

If you were diagnosed with cancer and have 6 months to live, would you still keep going to college? 

If I was at NAIT, I would quit.  At Writing, it really depends on where I am in the program.  Like I have one semester (4 months) to go, I would keep going to school so I can graduate.  I really want that college diploma.

No comments: