Sunday, June 8, 2014

911 Alberta/ Right to Play/ prostitution



May 27 911 Alberta: I was going through my cell phone inbox, and deleting text messages.  I see this message about 44 cents added onto our cell phone bills and the website:

Cellphone customers in Alberta will see a 44 cent levy on their monthly cell phone bills starting April 1, 2014, when the Emergency 911 Act comes into effect.

The money from the new levy will help fund 911 call centres across the province.

The Act will also bring in fines for frivolous 911 calls that abuse the system and it will allow for the creation of province-wide standards for 911 call taking.”


Plastic surgery: I read in the Metro on Feb. 5, 2014 called “Website Helps Women Get Free Breast Implants.”  The site was created by Jay Moore and Jason Grunsta who created a campaign to help their friend get augmentation.  Later, they created a website so anyone can use it. 

Women create a profile about why they want the implants and why they can’t afford it.  They market the profiles to men who sign up for free.  They have to purchase “credits” to “use to send women their messages.  The women get cash in their accounts for every message received.  Surgeons are paid directly by My Free Implants for the procedures.”

I read this letter in the Metro on Feb.7, 2014:

“There are many people in countries that need life saving surgery and do not have the money.  For the girl who wants breast implants and is asking for donations, maybe you should be thanking God for your health.”

My opinion: I get the letter writer’s point.  However, no one is forcing these men to give her money.  I remember seeing a video on Jay Leno about this woman who was dressed in a bikini.  She was standing outside holding a sign that she not homeless, but wants money for breast implants.  Cars honk as they drive by.  Lol.

Right to Play: I was reading the newspaper and see this ad that Holt Renfrew is selling these $55 bags and it goes to the charity Right to Play.  They educate and empower kids in third world countries.



Sexual assault: I was reading in the Metro on May 6, 2014 “Two men sentenced to life, 13 acquitted in mass rape trial.”  It goes into detail that other defendants got 10-20 yrs in prison. “Authorities said at least 135 women and girls were raped in and around the town of Minova in eastern Congo on Nov. 2012.”

Haiti: I was reading in the Metro on May 6, 2014Haiti raises minimum wage.”  There are 29,000 workers who sew t-shirts in factories.  They will now earn $5.11 per 8 hr work day, a 12.5% increase. 

They were protesting to get $11.36 per workday.  “The US based Worker Rights Consortium said in an Oct. report that Haitian workers receive an average of 32% less than what they should.”  Another report said that all of Haiti’s 24 garment factories didn’t pay them the min. wage.

My opinion: Well, I was surprised the wages were so low.  $5 for an 8 hr day?  Maybe $5/hr is something they can work with.

Need for Speed: I was reading in the Metro on May 2, 2014 about “Man tries to collect every VHS copy of ‘90s classic.”  Ryan Beitz is 26 yrs old and collecting every VHS copy of the 1994 movie Speed.  He knows it’s a pointless hobby.

The movie screenwriter Graham Yost says: “Other than world peace and ending hunger, I can think of no greater cause than what this one brave and visionary man has embarked upon.”

My opinion: I thought that was a pointless task and be using your time and energy for something important.  Well I know free time isn’t always productive time like watching TV.

Oprah Winfrey: I was reading in the Edmonton Journal “Oprah aids long-lost half-sister.”  She found her long lost half sister named Patricia Lofton in 2011.  I saw that Oprah episode.

A spokesperson for Oprah says: “Patricia’s greatest dream was to go to college and become a social worker.  Oprah wants to support that dream.”  They have the same mother, but Patricia was given up for adoption.  She lived in foster homes and then was adopted at age 7.  Oprah gives her a monthly allowance so she could quit her job and bought her a $500,000 home.
May 28 Prostitution: I was reading the Edmonton Journal article called “Saved by the Written Word” by Peter Robb on Apr. 19, 2013.  It’s in the books section, but since it’s about prostitution, I’m going to put it in my news email.

In her witty, difficult, frank, marvellously varied book How Poetry Saved My Life, writer Amber Dawn peels back the veneer society has imposed and humanizes the sex trade. In so doing, she claims her voice.

"Telling it like it is, telling it honestly would be high on the top of my list of what I wanted to accomplish with the book. It is hard to come by dynamic and very honest portraits of someone who has worked in the sex trade. Stereotypes and quick answers and solutions still reign when it comes to talking about sex work.

"I wasn't interested in being anyone's hero, I wasn't interested in being an infallible human and I also wasn't interested in being sensational because that is quite an old trope.

But how does the former sex worker, lesbian, writer, feel about men? In fact she feels sorry for the gender.

"That is an interesting question for me to answer because I would answer it differently in different circles in my life. But to answer to a broader circle, I think that men have as a socialized gender an extraordinary amount of pressure on them not to talk about vulnerability. And that's a really frightening thing. If we are not talking about the things that makes us vulnerable in our lives, we become more vulnerable.

"What we don't talk about can actually become dangerous for us. I see this in the way that men are socialized, you know the strong and silent type. I think this causes a rift between the genders and I think that it has an impact on their (male) sexuality. I think that sex workers are privy to this."

Humour is important to her. It helps that she is writing about events that happened six years ago or earlier and there is now some distance on her previous life, allowing her to see the funnier side of things.

Seventy per cent of sex workers at some point in their lives lived in poverty; 85 per cent have experienced homelessness; 90 per cent were abused as children.

"I don't see it as separate, I see it as an underground arena of ... things that we should celebrate in life (including) the pursuit of pleasure that we can negotiate quickly and receive quickly."

She says, many people have come forward to tell her about how they have been affected by the sex trade, directly as a participant or indirectly as the relative or friend of a sex worker.

"I've made a choice to take on the stigma and whatever else comes with it to tell the story and to let people know that their experiences aren't one-dimensional and uncommon and that there are happy endings."
Her day job is writer and teacher.

Amber Dawn is her real first and second names. She did not share her last name.

Her next book will not be about the sex trade. She's looking forward to writing about something else.

"This book is something that I have deemed a duty. I've freed myself. My first novel was magic realism and I'm a fan of speculative fiction. I'm gonna actually use my hometown and the defunct Crystal Beach amusement park as a setting for ... a ghost story."


Jun. 7 Post Secret: Here’s one:

(Printed): “If you have an unwanted sexual experience or are a survivor of sexual assault”

(Written): I NEVER reported it…. I Regret it everyday.”

“Regret” is underlined 3 times.

My opinion: The thing is, if you were sexually assaulted, report it immediately.  You don’t have to press charges, but it’s important to report it for evidence.  Also don’t take a shower.  You need to go to the hospital or police so they can make a rape kit of the evidence.

No comments: