Friday, June 13, 2014

Demand justice for survivors of police torture in Chicago


#StopTorture

I spent 24 years in prison, including nine years in a super-max prison, for a murder I did not commit – all because Chicago police tortured me into a confession.

During the 70s and 80s, the police tortured more than 100 men and women. Sixteen survivors have been exonerated. Approximately nineteen still remain incarcerated.

Not one officer has been convicted for their crimes of torture.

Join Amnesty’s national campaign to demand justice for survivors of police torture in Chicago.
Take Action!

Share on Facebook. Share on Twitter.
Dear Tracy,

My name is Darrell Cannon. I’m here to share the story of more than 100 people who were tortured by Chicago police under the command of former Chicago Police Commander Jon Burge.

I am a survivor. And I need your help.

#StopTorture. Join Amnesty and demand reparations for survivors of police torture in Chicago.

Here’s my story.

On Nov. 2, 1983, a contingent of police officers burst into my family’s apartment and arrested me for murder.

On the way to Chicago’s Area 2 headquarters, they warned me that they had “a scientific way of interrogating niggers.”

They later drove me to a secluded location, where they forced a shotgun in my mouth and pulled the trigger over and over again, making me believe it was loaded each time. They pulled my pants down and shocked me with a cattle prod on my genitals.

I confessed.

Police detectives under the direction of former Commander Jon Burge tortured over 100 men and women like this from 1972-1991. Demand justice for Chicago police torture survivors like me.

The coerced confession was the crucial piece of evidence used to convict me.

The detectives walked away. But I spent 24 years in prison for a murder I did not commit.

I fear justice will not come for me or the other survivors without intense national pressure on the Chicago City Council, which is considering an ordinance right now to establish reparations for victims of torture under Burge’s command.

Don’t let those who tortured me get away with it. Please join Amnesty in fighting for justice for torture survivors in Chicago.

Thank you for joining the fight to #StopTorture.
In Solidarity,

Darrell Cannon
Torture Survivor
Activist



No comments: