Tuesday, June 3, 2014

MS Project/ Japanese restaurants/ Female CEO gets hit on

May 7 MS Project: I was looking for a job today and I see this.  I looked it up.

“Microsoft Project was designed for technical project managers, and as a result, is much too complicated for most users. WorkZone is an easy-to-use alternative that can accommodate your entire team.”

 http://www.workzone.com/aw/ms-project-alternative/?utm_source=GoogleAW&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ms%20project&gclid=CIP0pa3ymb4CFc5ffgodoEUAeA

Microsoft Project is a project management software program, developed and sold by Microsoft, which is designed to assist a project manager in developing a plan, assigning resources to tasks, tracking progress, managing the budget, and analysing workloads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Project

Pharmacy technician: I was looking for a job and it lead me to this:

“You’ll learn about compounding, computer processing, dispensing, mathematics, drug/body interactions and drug delivery systems among other subjects. Additionally, you will practice their customer service skills and learn about different pharmaceutical environments such as retail, hospital and small business.

You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in a practicum placement in a pharmacy environment in order to refine your pharmaceutical skills and gain hands-on work experience. By the time you graduate, you’ll be ready to take on your first job with confidence!”


May 9 Job interview: I did a job interview last week.  It was at a really nice spa.  It was the usual of answering calls, inventory, etc.  They mentioned that it can get really busy and you have to know how to prioritize.  There was a little selling of the products.    It was going to be a part-time to full-time position.  There was going to be a few job shadow shifts for 1-2hrs and not be paid for it. 

I like job shadows because then you can really experience what the work place is going to be like without having to make the commitment of taking the job first.  I’m sure a lot of people have taken a job before and then it turns out the job wasn’t what you expected and/ or you didn’t like it.

May 13 Insurance office: I did another job interview yesterday.  It was at an insurance office.  It was a small place.  I had to do a test and it took me 30 min. to complete 3 tasks.  Afterwards we talked a bit.  It was average interview. 

They probably looked for someone who can complete the tasks in half the time.  I knew I was frustrated and the interviewer noticed. 

Jacob: Last week I read that the clothing store Jacob is going to close down all 92 of their stores.  I was surprised because there hasn’t been any news about it.  In the article it said it was in creditor protection since Nov. 2010.


Off the Wall: Does anyone remember this clothing store?  It was in West Ed mall.  I looked it up and Wikipedia said it closed down:

Off The Wall, founded in 1984 and closed in early 2011, is a former Canadian retailer of apparel, footwear, accessories and equipment for active young women. Off the Wall provided a wide variety of brands and styles all in one place.”


Japanese restaurants: I found this on Yahoo news.

The Moomin Cafe is an eatery in Japan that gives comfort to solo diners by seating them with giant, cuddly, stuffed animals. Mostly of the hippo sort.

According to Food Beast, the experience of dining with a stuffed animal by your side makes the experience of dining alone, a little less lonely.”

Here are some comments:

Emma Peel: I remember a waitress put me with another diner that was sitting alone at a small booth, it was a very busy restaurant, it was very ackward, he seemed uncomfortable and I didn't know where to look, I'd rather be alone and I am sure he did also, but I like it when I see people dinning alone, shows there very confident and they don't need another person to make there dinning experience

billnye69: Can people bring their own stuffed animals?

Malinamanito: Can't they 'rent' people to eat with them? I guess the Mooing Hippo has no extra cost added to it. These days, people with smartphones in restaurants usually don't even realize that they have company, I guess the mascot would work best in this situation.

My opinion: That is so cute and funny with cute hippos.  I don’t usually eat out anyway because I work at a restaurant.  If I do eat out, it’s when I go out to dinner with my family or I buy fast food.  I rarely buy fast food when I can buy chips at store.  The chips I buy are usually the 2 bags of chips for $6 deal.


Female CEO gets hit on: I got this on Yahoo news:

“As CEO of tech startup Locket, Yunha Kim often sends out emails to potential employees to ask if they'd be interested in meeting with her about a work opportunity or available position at her company. And although she's professional in sending out these emails, not everyone is professional in how they reply.

Recently Kim, whose company helps users change and personalize their Android smartphone homescreens, contacted a male developer about whether he'd be interested in joining Locket. He responded, "Hey Yunha, I'm pretty happy with my current job, but if you're single I'd like to date you. Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options) if you know what I mean. ;)"”

Still, Kim isn't giving up on making things better for women in the workplace. At the end of the day, she concludes, you can't change your gender, but you can alter your approach: "The lesson here is that it is all about how you frame your perspective."

My opinion: This is a good article about women in the work force, entrepreneurs, and job tips.


May 17 Grant MacEwan: I read in the Metro on May 15 that “New MacEwan campus designed for downtown.”  It’s going to be a Centre for the Arts and Culture campus right by MacEwan City Centre campus.  I went to the Centre for the Arts MacEwan campus in the west end for my Professional Writing.


NAIT: I read in the Metro on May 15 “NAIT crane operator hopefuls line up for days.”  Only 180 spots are available for this program.  These trades pay very well.

May 21 Job: My restaurant has been pretty quiet for the past month, except for Mother’s Day. 

Jun. 2: I wanted to add to that Japanese restaurant.  Today this Asian couple in their 50s was with their son in his late 20s.  They had this big monkey in a blue t-shirt.  The monkey was light brown, with a white face.  They ate and took pictures with it.  The monkey was so cute.

No comments: